Feature request: Moodle Live Chat

Feature request: Moodle Live Chat

by J Rogers -
Number of replies: 5
Hey all,

I think it would be great to have a chat system enabled in Moodle, so that online users could chat with each other, and perhaps get quick answers for issues. Just now there are 20 users online, and with 400,000 registered users on this site, it seems like there would always be someone online. Let's bring the community together even more with a live chat system!

Jeremy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J Rogers

Re: Feature request: Moodle Live Chat

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We had a Moodle chat open here for a long time, but it wasn't really used very much (and in fact was abused a little) so it was disabled.

The problem with synchronous is getting people to be interested in using it. I think asynchronous suits most people better (these forums are like a big chat, right?)

Another option is the #moodle IRC channel on Freenode.net, which you can access with any IRC client or via the web using this Java client. It always has a few people there.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I've learned something about Moodle today : didn't know there's this IRC channel smile
Séverin
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Siddharth Patel -

Hello Martin,

I want to use the live chat option in my moodle 2.2 site.

Will this be availabe to me to use in the moodle site?

Regards...

In reply to Siddharth Patel

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Does Moodle's own chat module not serve your purpose? http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Chat

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Siddharth Patel -

Hi Mary,

This is working. But I wanted to know that can we have a chat like it is available in google or facebook in future?

The eFront open sourse has a plugin for their site. Can we also give this functionality?

Regards..
 Sid