Tutor role

Tutor role

by Mike Worth -
Number of replies: 3
I am setting up a moodle system for a 6th form college; students choose several subjects to study and in addition are allocated a tutor group. This group meets weekly to sort admin things and other activities, in addition the tutor is responsible for tracking 'their' students progress and are responsible for performance reviews etc.

In order for this to be done through moodle it needs to be possible for a set of students (not a group in the moodle sense) to be made with a teacher allocated; this teacher must be able to see all the marks/comments/attendance etc for all 'their' students. It would also be useful to have a system whereby termly reviews could be input into moodle (they will probably be wanted in the oracle database that the college currently uses, but that can be done by copying the data). I don't have the exact data required for this at the moment so that is just something to keep in mind.

Another feature that is wanted is parent, they will be tied to 1 student (usually, although sometimes there will be more than one student to a parent, zero parents or multiple parents to a student). They should be able to view all the information about their student; it may also be useful to have emails sent at certain times.

Thanks,
Mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Worth

Re: Tutor role

by John Isner -
Hi Mike,
The description in your second paragraph sounds exactly what the Non-editing teacher role was designed for. It is one of the seven predefined roles that comes with Moodle out of the box. You assign the Non-editing teacher role to each tutor, then put each tutor into a Separate group, together with his/her students.

As Kathleen already mentioned, your second requirement (parent access to student information) can be solved by using the Parent role and the Mentee block. Both are documented in the Moodle documentation wiki. Your second requirement is completely orthogonal to your first requirement.
In reply to John Isner

Re: Tutor role

by Kathleen Bodine -
I just wanted to say thank you.... for making me pull out my dictionary, which by the way was covered in quite a lot of dust, to look up the word "orthoganal"  smile  Kathleen