PHP 5.0

PHP 5.0

by Eugene Ritter -
Number of replies: 2
The release of PHP 5.0 and the new class features leads me to ask a question. When will Moodle implement php 5.0 class stuctures i.e. (public and private methods and properties and other new things) to their code stucture? And how will this affect compatibility with those still running PHP 4.x?

I'm a little hesitant to grab the latest releases of things as they will inevitably have bugs and require patches.

Please advise...

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eugene Ritter

Re: PHP 5.0

by Wen Hao Chuang -
I have a similar question here too. We just setup a new Linux server (using one of the old gateway PC) and it already have Redhat 8, Apache, and MySQL in it. Now I'm going to install PHP and then Moodle to make it a Moodle server. Should I install PHP 5 or PHP 4.x version? Anyone here tried the PHP5 with Moodle 1.3.2 or 1.4 (dev) combination? bugs? Thanks!
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: PHP 5.0

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle 2 may well use the new PHP 5 features and require PHP 5, but this is a long way off.  I personally haven't even installed PHP 5 anywhere yet.

Moodle 1.x will continue to work fine PHP 4.1 and later.  It will probably work fine under PHP 5 but it's not well tested yet.  For a Moodle production server I would stick to PHP 4 for the time being.