How do you auto-link to uploaded Word documents?

How do you auto-link to uploaded Word documents?

by Kay Silver -
Number of replies: 6
I'm just beginning to develop my Moodle site. I created a glossary first. Now I've uploaded Word documents that students will use to learn various types of information. However, auto-linking isn't working in the Word documents. Can anyone assist me? Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kay Silver

Re: How do you auto-link to uploaded Word documents?

by David Fountain -
Hi Kay,

I'm not sure what you are asking is possible. Do you mean you have Word documents that contain words that are in the glossary and that when you open the Word file they are not linking to your glossary? Can you see that there is no point at which the Word document 'words' are analysed by the moodle installation in order to create an autolink? ...OR

Are you creating your documents in Word and then pasting them into the HTML editor in moodle to create an online version of your document? In which case I think it would work.

HTH

Dave
In reply to David Fountain

by Kay Silver -

I haven't tried using the HTML editor. I'm very new at this and still trying to figure out how to do most everything. I will give this a try.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Kay

In reply to David Fountain

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
David > ...creating your documents in Word and then pasting them into the HTML editor in moodle to create an online version of your document...

I strongly advise against doing this. Pasting text from Word into the HTML editor is prone to all kind of formatting problems! The proper ways to make an HTML document available online with glossary autolinks in it are:

1. use an HTML editor on your local computer to create the document, then upload to the Files repository in your Moodle course (best method);
  2. or, if you do not have a good Wysiwyg HTML editor at hand, create your document in MS Word (or even better in Open Office writer) and export/save as HTML, then upload to your Moodle course as in #1.
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by David Fountain -
Kay,
I fully agree with Joseph that this isn't a good way to create the content in moodle - to see the kind of mess it creates try it and then click the 'toggle HTML Source' button on the html editor.

I was just asking if this is the way you had been doing it or whether you were expecting moodle to create links inside a Word document. Something like how google will index words inside pdfs and docs etc, to my knowledge this isn't possible yet...(but Joseph has more knowledge than I do so he might add something useful again smile)

Dave
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Kay Silver -

Joseph,

Thanks for your advice. I don't have an HTML editor, but do know how to save a Word document as HTML. Will give that a try.

Kay