Help with modifications/ grouping students

Help with modifications/ grouping students

by October Smith -
Number of replies: 1
Not sure where else to put this post...I have run into a curious problem. I have a few teachers that are determined this year to make Moodle part of their class period (yeah!!!big grin). They brought up the idea of modifying for special ed kids. (We have total inclusion.) The idea is that they would have "modified" activities...using the quiz as an example...

I have already explained that they will have to create an A and B test. "A" would be the regular test and "B" would be the test duplicated with shortened answer choices. (That was the only thing I could come up with.) Now how do we direct the sped kids to one test and the others to the other test? Password it and give them the password? Is there a way to group so that the regular ed kids only have access to one test and the sped kids have access to another test? And then in the grades do we have to modify each and every child's grade to count or be ignored?

Your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated! smile Thanks!

running Moodle 1.9
Average of ratings: -
In reply to October Smith

Re: Help with modifications/ grouping students

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi October,

You could certainly use the groupings feature (available in Moodle 1.9) to make easier versions of activities available to special ed kids only and regular versions available for the rest. Please see the groupings documentation for more details. I'm not sure how things would be handled in the gradebook though - perhaps you could report back on this. wink

Another possibility is to set a quiz with a time limit then give special ed kids unlimited time by assigning them the role of quiz user with unlimited time. Please see the quiz user with unlimited time role documentation for more details.