Moodle Development Training

Moodle Development Training

by Cory Gordon -
Number of replies: 4

Hi People!

I've been given the job of looking after our Moodle site, which is in development stage. We require alot of modification to both the layout and also the functionality of the site itself.

Now I've got a bit of experience with css, html and php but not enough to do everything I need to do. I've done quite a bit of work by fumbling around and working things out, but my biggest issue is how all the files, scripts, variables etc are linked within Moodle.

Question: Does anyone know where I can get suitable development training both generally in the areas necassary, but more specifically with Moodle?

Training can be either online or in person.

Is there anyone in Auckland, New Zealand (or near) who would be willing to sit down with me for a day or two and show me how everything is linked? I would obviously reimburse you for your time should you require it.

This role is a permanent position, so I need to quickly get to terms with the system. ANY help anyone could give would be muchly appreciated. Feel free to message me privately if needed.

Thanks alot,
Cory

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cory Gordon

Re: Moodle Development Training

by John Isner -
Hi Cory,
It was recently announced at the Moodle Moot in San Francisco that a developer's course is being created by, and will be offered on the moodle.org site. This is second hand information, so others may be able to supply more specific details.
In reply to John Isner

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Cory,

I assume that the developer course which John refers to is the “Introduction to Moodle Programming” Online Course, developed by HSU in collaboration with SFSU as part of their Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration (see the discussion Participants Needed: Intro to Moodle Prog Online Course for further details). The possibility of hosting the course on moodle.org was discussed at the SF MoodleMoot, however further work still needs to be done on it.

In the meantime, you may wish to contact a Moodle Partner which offers Moodle custom development, such as the New Zealand Partner Catalyst IT Ltd.
In reply to Cory Gordon

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
HI Cory,

The AU Moodle Moot and the NZ Moot aren't too far away - they would both be a very good opportunity for you to learn more!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Cory Gordon -

Hi guys

Thanks for your feedback!

The Intro to Moodle Progamming looks very interesting...will have to look into that more.

As for the MoodleMoot, I have full intentions of going to that. They have a full day workshop for developers, so hopefully I can pick up a bit there. I'm also hoping I can make a few contacts in the Moodle community when I'm there. Will be good to have someone I can contact personally to bounce ideas off.

Only issue is MoodleMoot (NZ) is in October. Was hoping I could get the training underway a bit sooner than that.

I like the idea about contacting a Moodle Partner as well. Will look into that.

I'm still keen on sitting down with someone for a couple of days, so the offer still stands if there's anyone in NZ (preferably Auckland) that is keen on helping, flick me a message.

Thanks again everyone for your help,
Cory