The Royal Conservatory of Music
The Royal Conservatory is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, teacher certification and arts-based social programs.
The mission of The Royal Conservatory (RCM), to develop human potential through leadership in music and the arts, is based on the conviction that the arts are humanity's greatest means to achieve personal growth and social cohesion.
The Conservatory has a bold new vision to broaden its reach, services and client base in the digital realm, and the Digital Learning department plays an essential role in enabling the achievement of this goal. The Digital Learning division which has a significant growth and expansion mandate to develop and create a variety of online and app experiences, courses and resources. We are making the very best tools and resources in music training and professional development readily available in the kinds of digital formats that today’s youth, adults and the music teaching community will find most engaging.
Reporting to the Director, Digital Learning, the Developer’s key role is to use a modular approach to build unique and effective interactive experiences focused on music study at all levels. The Developer will work with a small team that includes a Moodle systems administrator, senior designer, instructional designers, and iOS developer. A creative thinker and solution-finder, you understand and appreciate the opportunity and complexities associated with online music study.
This is an opportunity to help build and establish the RCM as the national and international provider of online music pedagogy. You are passionate about improving upon existing systems including open source (Moodle) and custom platforms content management frameworks, APIs and delivering cutting-edge web applications. Your skill set includes:
• Significant experience working with proprietary and open source technologies
• Using a modular, object-oriented approach to develop custom elements, deploying original code and launching updates to existing websites and applications
• Writing feature specifications and implementing plans according to design requirements
• Knowledge of and experience establishing web-audio standards and protocols to ensure optimal sound quality
• Experience developing for an LMS, Moodle preferred
• Experience with the open-source development and community and AngularJS framework, specifically Angular 4 or 5
• Familiarity with Ionic 3 and Cordoba frameworks
• Demonstrated experience in developing and analyzing technical requirements with the ability to provide recommendations and advice
• Experience with best practices in responsive web design and development
• Accountability for overall code quality; ensuring code design and execution is cross platform, reusable and testable; ensuring code is documented and reviewed; ensuring current best practices are adhered to
• Writing well-commented and easily understandable code
• Performing code audits and maintaining code quality on all additions to entities developed
• Superior attention to detail, delivering quality products under tight timelines and shifting priorities
• Proven ability to quickly troubleshoot and find solutions to critical issues, by researching existing code, documentation, and online resources
• Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as experience effectively communicating technical concepts to non-technical clients and coworkers
• Maintaining and delivering high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills, and ability to manage expectations effectively when handling multiple assignments simultaneously with competing deadlines
• Knowledge of web standards and organizations such as the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
• B.S. in Computer Science (or higher), software engineering, or related area of study.
• 5+ years of software design and development experience in multi-platform environments.
• Proven knowledge of AMP stack server side technologies including advanced knowledge of PHP, experience with the Document Object Model (DOM) as well as the structured formats JSON/XML for data exchange.
• Experience constructing custom APIs including Web Services using SOAP protocol that allows custom external clients to consume data from a CMS/LMS.
• Comprehensive understanding of Mysql database.
• Experience with importing assets from Adobe Creative Suite (image/audio/video). Experience using code repositories such as GitHub or Bitbucket.
• Ability to work with and debug multiple browsers across multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, and Linux).
• Expertise in object-oriented software design.
• Strong communication, analytical, and problem solving skills.
• Experience with cross-browser and cross-platform testing and QA an asset.
• Previous experience in the education industry and e-learning content management systems and frameworks. In-depth knowledge of Moodle is a definite asset.
• Knowledge of Drupal an asset.
• Ability to read music and play an instrument an asset.
• Able to provide a current portfolio demonstrating development skills.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter with a current résumé online (please ensure to upload a single document combining both) by February 16, 2018.
The RCM thanks all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Entry added by Carlos Chiarella
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 5:17 AM
Last updated - Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 5:17 AM