Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Arup has a rich, thriving, design environment which relies heavily on collaboration tools. These include communities of practice (Skills Networks), Arup People, Arup Projects and learning management systems. These require extensive support for the firm of 12,000 in 90 offices around the world. Additionally, significant changes to our global systems are underway, which would create significant development projects.
The Arup University Share team in London is user and service focussed and values team work, initiative and the ability to bring new ideas/skills to the team whilst working sympathetically with existing systems and practices. In 2010 we won a gold award at the Intranet Innovation Awards, followed by a ‘Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise’ award in 2014, along with Google, Samsung and others.
The Share team within Arup University has an opportunity for an information scientist to support the Virtual Learning Environment and other on-line collaboration tools in Arup, including liaison with developers and users. You will work closely with the Arup University Systems Manager, global and regional Learning and Development / Human Resources and other Arup University teams.
Moodle is Arup’s fully adopted global learning platform with roughly 14000 users managed by a small central team. This role will support the Arup University Systems Manager and developer(s) on a variety of tasks varying from updating and building content, providing support for users (particularly trainers developing and posting content), assisting in the development of new functionality and reporting on usage.
The Arup University Systems team also manages MediaSpace, a recently launched internal video sharing platform. The post-holder will support the Arup University Systems Manager on tasks varying from creating video channels, managing permissions and supporting users, documenting processes and liaising with the platform supplier to test functionality and raise issues.
Main duties and responsibilities will include:
· Provide support to users, trainers, and region administrators including training and producing help documentation, and being the first point of contact on the IT Help Desk and Yammer Group for Moodle, MediaSpace and other Arup University Systems queries.
· Produce reports on Arup University learning activities, systems usage and user engagement including exception reporting.
· Support internal team management tasks such as meeting coordination and minutes e.g. the Moodle Client Committee.
· Creating knowledge base articles for the internal team and wider audiences e.g. IT Help Desk / Systems Team Space OneNote.
· Continuously improve the user experience, accessibility and information architecture of the sites.
· Support end to end testing of new functionality, troubleshooting and reporting/testing of bugs, and supporting the Arup University Systems Manager in liaising with designers and web developers when new products are being developed.
· Be flexible to take on different tasks as needed by the team.
· Be expected to manage own learning, identify objectives and record progress, and share from time to time with line manager.
Requirements and skills
You will be a self-starter, who enjoys working in a challenging and fast-paced but friendly and supportive office environment. You will like the idea of working in a large organisation, in a role where satisfaction comes from enabling others to deliver business goals through the excellent support you deliver. This is a varied and interesting role, in a function with high expectations to meet.
You will have a flexible and team-working approach, whilst being able to work with minimal supervision.
Essential experience and qualifications:
· Proficiency in HTML.
· Experience of using a VLE or content management system.
· Demonstrable ability to pick up new systems.
· Understanding of information management – research, storage, collection, organisation and collaboration.
· Ability to take on multiple projects and deliver to expected deadlines.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with customers.
· Strong accuracy / attention to detail.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media platforms.
· Awareness or interest in learning technologies.
· Ability to learn and understand completely new concepts regarding technologies affecting our group e.g. Experience API.
· Understanding of Moodle (online learning environment).
· Understanding of Yammer.
· Experience in building / editing video content to create “How to” videos.
· Understanding of developing reporting using SQL statements.
· Proficiency in database management and reporting tools (e.g. MySQL and MSSQL).
· Some experience in using project management methodology e.g. Agile
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.