The University of Bath have an exciting opportunity for an Educational Software Developer to join our Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) department. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis starting from June 2022, and in return, you will receive a competitive salary starting from £34,304, rising to £40,927 per annum.
Hybrid working is one of the many ways we recognise the importance of achieving a positive work-life balance. Whilst the exact days you can work remotely will differ between teams and departments, it should provide you with greater flexibility, provided you are in the UK.
The Centre for Learning and Teaching is a widely respected and high-performing professional service. The Centre works with all subject departments, as well as other support services, to deliver world-class advice in learning and teaching. The Technology Enhanced Learning Team, which forms part of the Centre, is engaged in key institutional activities and has a reputation for providing high-quality, informed and practical approaches to enhancing practice. All the Centre's teams work closely together on a wide range of activities and events.
About the role:
The role would suit a PHP developer with good all-round web development skills and an interest in education. As our Educational Software Developer, you will support the TEL team in developing and maintaining an engaging Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and tools. The position is in a small team working closely with the Educational Software Development Manager.
What we are looking for in our Educational Software Developer:
We are looking for a strong all-rounder who is comfortable working with a variety of technologies. You should be happy to develop, test and document new code as well as investigate and fix bugs in the current code. The role is primarily a development role, but experience in server management, software administration, design and testing are extremely desirable.
Ideally, you should be able to demonstrate:
- Strong technical expertise, including exceptional object-orientated programming skills (PHP)
- A commitment and aptitude to learning new programming and technical skills as required (with appropriate support)
- Proven experience in working with others successfully to deliver software development projects
- The ability to demonstrate a portfolio of previous developments
- Excellent communication skills and be able to present complex ideas to a non-technical audience
- CSS (SASS / SCSS)
- GIT (GitHub / Bitbucket)
- Linux Operating Systems (Ubuntu)
- Web Servers (NGINX/Apache)
- Relational Databases (MySQL / MariaDB)
Our current software portfolio includes Moodle, Mahara and Xerte, experience in any of these would also be desirable. Previous skills or experience in the following areas would be advantageous;
- Moodle or other VLE
- UI / UX Design (Material Design)
- Software Testing (TDD / BDD)
- Agile Methodologies (SCRUM / Kanban)
What we can offer our Educational Software Developer:
We are an equal opportunities employer and have an excellent international reputation with staff from over 60 different nations. We have made a positive commitment toward gender equality and intersectionality receiving a Silver Athena SWAN award.
A family-friendly University with an increasingly agile workforce, we are open to flexible working arrangements. We’re also proud to be a disability-confident leader and are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments you may require.
Our campus is surrounded by beautiful countryside, and the City of Bath with its historic charm and social activity only a short distance away creates an excellent environment in which to work.
Additional benefits we offer include:
- A very generous employer contributory pension scheme
- Generous annual leave allowance with an additional 5 discretionary days so that you can enjoy a positive work-life balance
- An excellent reward package that recognises the talents of our diverse workforce
- A wide range of personal and professional development opportunities
Closing Date: Sunday 24th July 2022
If you feel you have the skills and experience to excel in this role, go to the advert on the University of Bath website, and click on the apply button.