The UCSF Library is seeking an Applications Developer/Software Engineer to act as technical lead on a team developing the next generation of our custom curriculum management system.
Your primary responsibility will be to implement application features according to specifications. However, as lead engineer, you will be involved in writing said specifications, selecting open-source components for the architecture, and taking steps to ensure we deliver a quality product. Your involvement and technology decisions will be critical to the success of this project.
This position is definitely about more than coding, and requires someone with experience in the full software development lifecycle. In fact, while we expect this system to be programmed mainly in PHP and Java, other languages are a possibility, depending on your input.
The University of California at San Francisco is one of the top medical research institutes in the country. The UCSF Library supports ongoing health science activities at UCSF through a variety of information technology products and services. Our technical team, the Center for Knowledge Management, has a proven track record in:
* Efficiently handling and searching terabytes of information,
* Successfully releasing high quality products on time,
* Listening to our customers and anticipating their needs.
Our academic environment values innovation, code quality over quantity, and work-life balance. Our agile software development process allows for fast decisions and quick releases of a working product.
You are a software professional with at least 5 years of hands-on experience in the full software development lifecycle. You interface well with non-technical people, and are able to take a product feature from the “wish list” stage all the way to production release with minimal supervision. This involves listening to clients, gathering and analyzing requirements, writing specifications and designs, implementing tests, writing production-quality code and technical documentation, and finally building and releasing to a production environment.
Additionally, you are very familiar with open-source software, and know how to leverage it to your advantage. Your technical ability allows you to work around common open-source deficiencies or limitations that would stop another developer (e.g. the lack of documentation, lack of testing.)
Our technology platforms are PHP and Java (JavaEE); you have extensive knowledge of the associated tools, libraries, and APIs. Ideally you would have experience working in academic institutions, or a similar background.
* 5 years of experience developing public-facing software in a professional capacity
* 2 years of experience developing Web applications with PHP frameworks (e.g. Moodle, CakePHP, Zend, etc.). Moodle experience is a big plus.
* 2 years of hands-on experience with the Java platform for Web application development (JSP, servlets, JDBC)
* 2 years of experience working with Unix systems (Linux, Solaris)
* 1 year of experience with RDBMS and SQL (MySQL)
* Strong OO analysis and design
* Experience in full software life cycle development: analysis through release
* Experience working in cross-functional teams
* Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English
* Ability to be patient and tactful when communicating with non-technical staff
How to Apply
Position posted in the UCSF Employment Opportunities Bulletin effective 11/13/08, for 2 weeks. Open until filled thereafter.
Please submit your application for this position through UCSF Campus Human Resources at http://ucsfhr.ucsf.edu/careers/ and refer to Req. Number 28852BR.
UCSF is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to a diverse workforce.
This is a full-time career position, on campus in San Francisco, CA.
Entry added by Renaud Waldura
- Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 2:44 AM
Last updated - Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 2:45 AM