Job offered: Application Programmer-Developer
Location: Boone, NC, option for remote work
Relevant Master’s degree and 2-4 years of experience; or relevant Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading and managing complex technical projects.
- Experience with the Moodle LMS, including development of modules to extend/enhance the LMS as well as integrate it with other applications.
- Initiative to learn new technologies either through self-teaching or pursuit of traditional training methods.
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team.
- Ability to plan, organize and schedule work for tight deadlines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to translate requirements, processes, workflows, and technological issues between groups of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of federal and state guidelines, regulations, and objectives pertaining to accessibility, educational data, and data security and the ability to apply them in the context of web applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary purpose of the Application Programmer-Developer is to plan, develop, deploy, and maintain academics-focused enterprise applications for Academic Technologies to enhance teaching and learning to the benefit of faculty and student users.
- The selected applicant will be responsible for the development and maintenance of applications administered by Academic Technologies, which includes the enterprise learning management system (LMS) and several other supporting applications.
- Work involves project management of large and small-scale solutions, including the collection of requirements from stakeholders, analysis, development, and deployment of internal software applications, as well as the integration of third-party products into our environment.
- Specific tasks will include usage forecasting, needs assessments, application design, programming, application configuration, and change management.
- Also expected is successful experience deploying applications using UNIX/Linux, Apache, Windows Server, Azure, IIS, Amazon Web Services (VPC, EC2, RDS), and VMware vSphere.
- Additionally, the selected applicant will monitor and manage the resources required for the operation of our learning technologies.
- Some supervision of part-time staff and student workers may also be necessary.
This position has the opportunity to work remotely, guided by the University and UNC System policies.
See https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/37766 for the full job description and application.