Discussions started by Itamar Tzadok

Moodle in English -> Testing and QA -> Running tests on mac sierra

by Itamar Tzadok -

Can someone advise a configuration of the testing environment on mac sierra with chrome?

I can't get it to work. Maybe too recent versions of browser and selenium just don't work. Or maybe I just don't configure it properly for mac. So far selenium starts, then when running behat, firefox launches, hangs for a few seconds and closes. The selenium terminal shows "plugin-container[27987:4190398] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x8f3b, name = 'com.apple.tsm.portname'".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. smile

Average of ratings: -

Moodle in English -> Themes -> Cleaner theme

by Itamar Tzadok -

I like the clean theme. It's clean. The more theme is still clean (after removing the background image) and allows configuring colors and as such also quite nice. But there are still three things that I find annoying: the navigation block, the administration block, and the "Add a block" block on side-pre even if I move all other blocks to side-post. So I've drafted a simple theme, derived from more. I call this theme "cleaner". It "fixes" those three things with a few simple modifications.

First, I made side-post the default region in the theme's config. IMO it creates a cleaner and more intuitive look. I had to override columns2 layout because it was hardcodedly laid out with side-pre.

Second, I set the theme to omit the administration and navigation blocks in browse mode, and show them only when editing. This required overriding the block_manager. It also required adding to the theme's core_renderer (which extends the clean's one) the header method in order to add the editing button to the front page.

One of the nicest effects of the latter is that in pages where I don't add any blocks the main region stretches all over the page. It's just cleaner that way.

That's it. If anyone is interested I can push the code to git sooner than later.

smile
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Sharing an illustration of the overview page of an observation log activity where students are required to carry out and report observations of celestial motions. The overview shows a summary of total number of observations and time of last observation in each category. The cateogry name is a link to the observations list where the students can add observations.

The activity is individualized to the effect that each student sees the summary of his/her log, and the instructor sees the summary of the whole class.

This overview view does not display actual entries. Accordingly the entry template of the view is empty and the view template omits the ##entries## pattern. Instead the view template uses a view link and a view content patterns for each category to provide the link and show the summary content of the category (respectively). Thus for example the content of the Sun category in the second column of the first row is generated by the patterns

##viewlink:Sun Observations;Sun;;##                              
##viewcontent:Sun Observations Summary##

The 'Sun Observations Summary' view is a minimal view which displays the number of entries in the Sun Observations category and a single most recent entry with the template content:

Last observed: [ [time]]

where time is a time field which stores the observation time.

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Moodle in English -> Dataform (plugin) -> Group peer review

by Itamar Tzadok -

Attached is an illustration of a Dataform-based group peer review activity. The illustrated activity has three phases: Submission, Review (of other submissions), Revision (of own submission). You can define any number of phases depending on the desired application. The phases open and close automatically according to their start and due time (the times in the illustration are stubs and do not reflect proper intervals in an actual activity). The illustration shows file uploads and simple grading but it is possible to use other content types and advanced grading (guides/rubric). It is also possible to define multiple grade items to separate grades in the gradebook (two in this illustration; see last slide). Certain Dataform elements used in the illustration will be available from 2.9 and 2.8.6.

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)