parse error line 733

Re: parse error line 733

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Eric and Zbysiu, the error probably comes from your version of PHP. Zbysiu is using PHP 4, Eric, what is your version of PHP?
Mike, if you agree this might be the problem, could you provide a solution? You said you had committed a change, but I see no new committed file from you since 4 weeks ago!
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It was comitted to the 1.9 branch at 11:11 EDT this morning. There have been many commits by me over the last week - all in the 1.9 branch.

I'll merge this one into HEAD as well.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mike,
Of course, sorry, I was looking at CONTRIB on the wrong branch...
Thanks for the fix. It was all my fault, since I "wrongly" used current() on an array. But it did work on my own moodle install (PHP5). How could I know of the problem? Why don't people systematically update to the latest PHP version available? why, why why?
Joseph

by Zbysiu Rodak -
>>Why don't people systematically update to the latest PHP version available? why, why why?

Because in my case as an IT technician in a school, the Network Manager and I have to manage over 500 pc's, over 100 laptops, audio visual, backups, email, 1200+users and in my case the school website and now the school VLE. There's a lot to learn in a very short time, and as I'm currently doing a degree on top of my day job, there's very little spare time in which to learn it. ;o) I am in the process of learning how to update this (my ignorance of, and failure to grasp the needs of php has led to this and I openly acknowledge this), or hopefully, finding a WAMP server which will do this automatically. Any suggestions? I feel better for that.
Zbysiu
In reply to Zbysiu Rodak

by Joseph Rézeau -
> finding a WAMP server which will do this automatically

I don't think upgrading to a major PHP version can be done automatically. In fact, there are lots of "good reasons" for not upgrading automatically, and some reasons (maybe not so good) for not doing it manually either.wink

I quite understand your situation. I have done a number of my qualifications degrees (and my PhD) on top of my "normal job", so I know the feeling.smile

All the best,

Joseph

by Zbysiu Rodak -
I'm sorry Joseph, things got the better of me there. I've no hard feelings towards anyone on the Moodle project, as I know from life in general that we're all at different levels. clown

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In this case, I'm not sure 'current' should be working on any versions of PHP in the manner it was being used. At the very least, it should have had to be enclosed in {}. That said, it was working on my version too.

In any case, with those types of functions, its always safer to temporarily store the result to use.

mike

by Zbysiu Rodak -
Hit the nail on the head. As a non coder this is the point where I start to look light a rabbit caught in car headlights. I feel I need to update php.
Zbysiu

[edit] Just downloaded (25/06/08) the latest version of questionnaire and it has installed without any problems. Haven't played with it yet. Thanks to all for their help. Does anyone know of a WAMP package which can handle 1200+ users and updates itself automatically?