How to archive or save a copy of the forum discussion

How to archive or save a copy of the forum discussion

by J Henna -
Number of replies: 16
Hello,

Does anybody know how to archive or save a copy of the forum discussion?

Your reply is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J Henna

Re: How to archive or save a copy of the forum discussion

by Art Lader -

Hi, Erdee,

I do not know if this will help you, but when I want to save an especially good discussion, I just save it as a web page and upload it to my files area.

It is certainly not elegant, but it does work.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,
Art

Attachment save-as.jpg
In reply to J Henna

by Dean Stringer -
Hi Erdee.

We've received a number of requests from teachers to be able to save a Forum as a readable and portable HTML page so we recently created an XSLT file which takes a course export file and turns the Forum content within it to an HTML page. It sounds like the sort of thing that would be useful to you.

Feel free to download the file from the following address, and let us know if it has been useful or if you have any suggestions for improving it.
http://online.waikato.ac.nz/wcel/development/forum-archive/forum-archive.zip

You will need access to an XSLT tool that can be run on your desktop or on a server. If you arent familiar with XSLT speak to your technical web people and they will be able to get one setup for you. A README file is included in the above archive which explains how to use and configure the tool. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea of what the rendered page looks like (note: it can be customised using a supplied CSS file)

good luck,
Dean Stringer (Univ of Waikato, NZ)

screenshot.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to J Henna

by Travis Burrell -
Dean - your utility looks to be exactly what I'm searching for, however, we need this kind of functionality within the MOODLE framework so that users can create this kind of content on-the-fly. Example:
  1. user navigates to forum
  2. user reads forum, wants to archive for off-line reading later
  3. user clicks some sort of "export" button that then prompts user to download formatted export file
I may be reading it incorrectly, but it looks like Dean's utility needs to work from an already generated course export file. Does anyone know if there's a plugin available that will provide this kind of functionality? Is there already a feature request in the tracker?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Travis Burrell

by Art Lader -

Hi, Travis,

Good explanation.

You might want to post your idea to the tracker. That way, people can vote for it and it might be incorporated into Moodle some time down the road.

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Travis Burrell -
Hey Art - yeah, that's why I asked if there was already a feature request in the tracker. I've created one, here. Guess we'll find out soon enough if it's a duplicate wink
In reply to Travis Burrell

by Ulises Guerrero -
Hello Everybody,

I have created a PHP script that will export all your forums, grouped by discussion, into an HTML file.

I tried the XSLT and the patch, and both failed with exporting my forum. If anyone is interested, please reply to this post, and i'll help you out.

Regards,
Ulises
In reply to Ulises Guerrero

by Paulo Matos -
Hi Ulises!

It would be nice to have a look at that piece of code you did.

In order to enlight us a bit, could you explain why nor the patch nor XSLT worked for you?

Cheers,

--
Paulo Matos
In reply to Paulo Matos

by Miri Hefetz -

I would very much like to have a copy of this code , can you post it

Cheers,

Miri

by Jason La Greca -

I would be very interested in this code. if you could post it for us to play with?

Thanks in advance

by Chick Beckley -
Ulises,

I would be very interested in testing/using your PHP script. Can you provided us with this code?

Chick Beckley

by Pete MacKichan -
Hi Ulises,

I would very much like to have a copy of this code - I didn't get anywhere with the XSLT and the patch either.

Cheers

Pete

by Martynas Adomavicius -
I would be very interested in this code. Can you post it ?

by Kehinde Okesanjo -

Hi Ulises, I work in a college in The UK and would be very interested to hear more about what you have come up with regrading archiving forums. I need to archive one right now and am a little stuck with it!

I look forward to hearing from you.

by Owen Grubbs -

Hi Ulises, if your script is still available, I'd very much like a copy. Thanks.

In reply to Owen Grubbs

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi everyone,

You can use the non standard ForumNG and it will give you an option to export as Word. Lots of other nice features too.

Cheers,

Glenys

PS. Yes, it's true Sam Marshall pays me a guinea every time I write something nice about ForumNG. wink

In reply to Art Lader

by Alexandra Pickett -
hi: is there anyway to easily export a moodle forum into a word doc?