CLEO data migration SIMS into Moodle; how to run the patches

CLEO data migration SIMS into Moodle; how to run the patches

by Adrian Stock -
Number of replies: 8
Subject: CLEO data migration SIMS into Moodle; how to run the patches

Hi All, hi Dan,

I started a fresh thread, because I am not a developer like all the people responding to "Release of CLEO MIS Upload Tool, for integration with Capita SIMS/Serco CMIS" and arguing about hacks and limitations and improvements. I am just the poor guy (user) who has to install this heaven-sent tool on our Moodle installation (which is not on CLEO) and then carry out the data migration from SIMS into Moodle.

i.e. I want nothing clever, no hacks, no nothing, but just help in how to run the migration tool AS IS.

- -------------------------------------

I have most of the instructions concerning this procedure.

I am now in Step 1: Install migration utility into Moodle.

I have FTP access to the Moodle server. I have unzipped the utility files and FTP'd the directory called /local/ into Moodle root, so that it is now at the same level as, for instance: lang, lib, local, login etc

Now the instructions tell me to run the three patches:
patch -p1 < ~/tmp/mistool/patches/admin_roles_assign_html.patch
patch -p1 < ~/tmp/mistool/patches/admin_roles_assign_php.patch
patch -p1 < ~/tmp/mistool/patches/lib_moodlelib_php.patch

Where and how do I do that? From inside Moodle? I cannot imagine how.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Stock

Re: CLEO data migration SIMS into Moodle; how to run the patches

by Matt Gibson -
What are your hosting arrangements and are you on windows or linux?

The commands need to be run on the server itself, not from the browser, so you need to be logged in and using the command line. On windows, this is Start->run...->cmd.exe whereas on linux it will involve using putty or similar to connect via SSH. FTP will not work for this, it only allows file upload, not running of commands.

You need to be working in the moodle root directory and copy/type in the command above exactly as they are. This will work, given these assumptions:
  • The files are all uploaded cleanly in the root directory already
  • The patch program is already installed
  • You have write access to that directory
If using windows, you will need gnu patch for windows - google will find it for you.

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Adrian Stock -
Thank you, Matt, I have passed this on to our ISP.

Adrian
In reply to Matt Gibson

by rob coles -
I dont have access to a linux based server can anyone who has run these patch please host changed files please smile
In reply to rob coles

by Dan Poltawski -
Hi Rob,

I've been reluctant to provide pre-patched files because the patches modify some critical moodle files and if any updates are done to these files you really should change them in your moodle and not be constrained by these files.

Having said that - I did try and experience the pain of applying a patch on windows & there really isn't a good solution.

If you look at the patch files its really quite a simpel format - there are headers describing changes (@@ describing position) and then changes indicated by lines prefixed by + for lines added and - for lines removed and then lines of context surrounding them.

However I realise this isn't ideal - so will look at putting some prepatched files somewhere which I will try to keep up to date.
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Adrian Stock -
Hi Rob,

I am not sure whether I understood your question correctly. But ***if*** you are looking for a hosting company which has a Linux server, you could contact the following hosting company: www.astrohosts.co.uk

They host our Moodle installations, they have recently run the patches and have all the documentation and instructions I received from Dan Poltawski. They do have a Linux server. They offer a ready-made Moodle installation of v. 1.9 .

You could email them (support...), and ask for Mike Brown, or phone them if you are in the UK. So let him explain what he can or cannot do for you.

I was assuming you are looking for a hosting company with a Linux server and some understanding of what is required.

If you meant something else, sorry to have wasted your time or raised your hopes.

Best wishes,

Adrian

by Zbysiu Rodak -
Hi Dan,
I'm really struggling to work out how to get these patches onto our Moodle site. We're running Moodle 1.9.5 on a Win 2008 64bit server with IIS7, PHP 5.2+ & Mysql. I'd really appreciate some help.
In reply to Zbysiu Rodak

by Dan Poltawski -
You'll have to give me some hints about what you are trying and what is failing.. wink

by Zbysiu Rodak -
Hi Dan,
I appreciate the time you're taking with this. I can't figure out how to install patches in windows. Everything else is (partly) in place, but I haven't found a simple guide to getting those patches in place in a Windows environment. Is there a Dummies Guide?
Attachment cleo.gif