personal messages error "ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:"

personal messages error "ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:"

by unformatted :) -
Number of replies: 10
When sending personal messages to members, all most times have this error "ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:mail@fromuser.com"

The message is sent, but no mail notification.
Someone can help me please?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to unformatted :)

Re: personal messages error "ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:"

Also, I have some members saying that did not received any e-mail for confirmation. Some members confirm, but others can't login because the mail has never beem sent.
any help?

Re: personal messages error "ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed:"

by Mark Brookes -
Hi
I am also having the same problem. I have narrowed the problem down to email addresses that are NOT in our domain not being sent.

I have my Network manager looking into it, but if anyone has ideas, then would love to know how to sort this problem as we have people registered who have addresses that are not in our domain.

Mark
In reply to Mark Brookes

Hi!

I still have this problem with some personal messages, forum notifications and e-mail verification. This hapens sometimes.
Any help please?

My ver:
Moodle 1.9 Beta 3 (2007101506)

by Klavs Sedlenieks -
I have the same problem. Our techical staff cannot figure out what's the problem. Any suggestions would be great.
In reply to Klavs Sedlenieks

by Samantha Ashton -
We too are having the same problem.

Ours aren't external e-mail addresses. These are e-mail address within our system.

Any help will be highly appreciated

Kind Regards

Sam
In reply to Samantha Ashton

by Samantha Ashton -
I just logged in as a member of staff, sent a message to a student. Got the error message.

Logged in as the student, the message appeared.

So the messages are sending. Just this error message is still appearing.

by Daniel Genz -
Its a problem with your moodle site and your SMTP server. This explains why, either, emails get to some and not others, emails are not sending to recipients outside of your domain. We have exchange 2007 and we had the same problems most are having, we had to create an SMTP relay, here's how I fixed it in Exchange 2007:

Here is step-by-step how to create anonymous recipient relay connector
1. Create a new Receive Connector with the Custom Usage Group
2. For Remote Network Settings default values are 0.0.0.0 -255.255.255.255, where you can add IP address range (for example if you have clients who are talking with exchange on port 25), or/and specific IP Address of the remote server that requires relaying permissions.
3. Once the new Custom Receive Connector is created, go into the properties of this connector
4. Go to the Permission Groups Tab > check Anonymous Users
1. To activate Anonymous users to use this connector for relaying, you must issue the following command using PowerShell :
Get-ReceiveConnector "Receive connector name" | Add-ADPermission -User "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" -ExtendedRights "ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient"

You can find out how to do it on other types of SMTP servers by searching google... Hope this helps
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Genz

by JD Hall -
Great post; thank you!
In reply to Daniel Genz

by Andrew Senior -
Fantastic post. Have spent a lot of time with this problem and this did the trick. Thanks

by Michel Sandri -
I'm having the same problem. I did the configuration tha Daniel surgery but it's still giving the same error. Some one could help me?!

ERROR: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: nonononono@nononono.com

error sending password change confirmation email