Importing video and audio into courses

Importing video and audio into courses

by Shashi kanth -
Number of replies: 8
Hello everyone, i want to import audio and video into my moodle courses.
Iam using moodle version 1.8.4 and php version 5.2.4
My operating system is: Windows XP and database is: My SQL 5.0

I have created few courses within my moodle and looking forward to import audio and video into them for better explanation of course content.
I know that currently there is no big option to include audio and video into moodle.
But i will be pleased if anyone can suggest me the way to import audio and video files into moodle.

Waiting for the answers..... thsnking you in advance.
Bye.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shashi kanth

Re: Importing video and audio into courses

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes there is big grin

Moodle has built in players for a number of media types. In particular Flash Video (if you have any kind of choice, encode video as .flv) and MP3 for audio.

Simply upload them and link/choose as you would any other file resource.

You can also embed certain multimedia types inline in text by enabling the multimedia filter.

You might also want to read this, and some of the linked information:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Audio_in_Moodle
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shashi kanth

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Shashi,

Moodle's media filter uses an old version of Jeroen Widjering's FLV Media Player:

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player

It's well worth updating it if you know how.

To activate the media filters, go to Administration > Modules > Filters
and turn on Multimedia Plugins
then go to
Multimedia Plugins > Settings
and make sure that the media types that you want are turned on
Then on a course page, turn on editing and select Add a resource... > Link to a file or web site
In the Location text field enter the URL to the FLV or MP3 file you want to deploy. Also, fill in any other required text fields.
You've done it!

I'm currently working on an extension to this module to allow you to deploy Flash e-learning interactions and save user interaction data from them. Moodle sorely needs some decent support for Flash e-learning!
In reply to Matt Bury

by Johnathan Kemp -
Hello Matt,

I am currently trying to include .flv files with close caption support in Moodle using the Multi-media plugin and came across your above posting. It may be that you are in the process of resolving the problem I am currently struggling with ( I am neither a php or flash actionscript programmer). I wonder if you would mind providing a few more details regarding your development?
  • Is it your intention to release your development to the Moodle community? (I am guessing it is but do not want to appear presumptuous smile)
  • As you develop your enhanced module do you intend to include support for close caption xml files?
  • Would you be able to give some idea of when you aim to complete your development?
  • What version of the player are you developing for?
At present I have come across three versions of the JW Flv player,
  • version 3.16 aka mediaplayer.swf, that supports closed caption subtitles with a "T" button on the control bar (which I downloaded recently from the jw flv site)
  • version 3.5 aka flvplayer.swf, which is the current version supplied with moodle (which I cannot get to deliver closed caption subtitles, either within or outside of Moodle. (There appears to be neither a "T" button on the control bar or a close caption option on the right click menu)
  • version 4.0 aka player.swf available now from the jw flv site and which supports closed caption via a toggle on/off option on the right click menu.
Version 3.16 appears interchangeable with version 3.5 in Moodle, but the current code in Moodle offers no way to pass details of a close caption file. Version 4.0 appears to require changes to the Moodle code as it fails to run if swapped for 3.5 (in all swap cases I have simply renamed the player file to flvplayer.swf)

Having looked at the current Moodle code and recognising my limitations with php and action script I have decided that the best way for me to progress for now is to turn off the flv filter and add code to run the flv player directly in the html resource. But I have my fingers crossed that you may be on the verge of rendering this approach redundant wink.

Whatever your development aims, good luck with them.

Kind regards

Johnathan
In reply to Johnathan Kemp

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Johnathan

Thank you very much for pointing out that later versions of the player support captions.

Subtitles would be great. I would like to show language learners a video clip without captions ask questions about the content, and then show them the captions. At the moment there is youtube but it is difficult to control whether the captions are turned on or off. 

Do you have a budget? Perhaps together we could pay Jamie Pratt or someone to add an way of linking to a subtitle file.

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Timothy Takemoto -

By the way, I heartily recommend this free subtitle creation software VisualSubSync, even more than Subtitle Workshop which is very good too. This JW player thread explains how to get subtitles going, as referenced on this Using Moodle thread.

by Johnathan Kemp -

Hello Timothy,

Thanks for the tip about VisualSubSync. When I can free the time up I will take a look at it.

I'm afraid I don't have a budget to tap into.

For my immediate needs it is more php development than actionscript development that is needed. The flv player already has the functionality needed. My idea was that it might be possible to have a filter file that receives a playlist file and automatically opens the flv player with the playlist. The playlist file includes the capability to list a caption file for each movie.

At present I imagine the capability of being able to recombine chapters in different sequences by using different play lists e.g. 3 movies of interviews could be broken down into the chapters for each phase of the interview i.e. Introduction, Contracting, Investigation etc. By using different playlists you could have one movie showing Contracting examples from all three interviews, whilst a different movie could show the whole of interview 1. This has implications if you want to recombine flv files from different courses as at present Moodle 1.9n lacks a repository, so my current solution stores data files in the web root in a separate folder.

Your idea of displaying movies with and without the captions could be achieved by calling the movie from two different playlists, one with captions and one without.

In the absence of some clever php programming I have created code that will allow me to call a movie playlist by passing it as a url parameter in a link to a web page e.g.

/movies/core/movieCaller.php?w=1020&h=576@p=myPlaylistFile.xml

You may find that using this technique to call a different playlist for your before movie and your after movie may deliver the effect you are looking for.

I have attached a zipped file with all the related code and some instructions. If you can improve on it, or if anyone can use it as the basis for a moodle filter then please feel free to do so.

Kind regards

Johnathan

In reply to Johnathan Kemp

itRe: Importing video and audio into courses

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Johnathan

Thank you very much indeed for this response. I was thinking about getting down to trying to implement it. I was still unclear that it would support .srt and being technologically challenged, it looks rather difficult. I will come back to it if the following does not work.

I decided to experiment with "open captions" which means captions rendered inside the video image. There is a way of doing this with virtualdub but I could not get it to work. Then I tried capturing a youtube screen shot using Camstudio which produced something with awful quality.

And then I found the wonderful MediaCoder quite by chance, since I wanted a batch transcorder to put my files into flash and found that not only does Media Coder batch transcode, but also it automatically renders any subtitles into the resultant flash file if there is a .srt file in the same folder as the source.

I am transcoding various now. Here is one.

That may work (I don't have a flv player so I am hoping that Moodle.org will imbed one for me and that it works with subtitles....fingers crossed). No it did not work first attempt. I downloaded flvplayer (a free .flv player) and found that the audio did not play (I had chosen the "copy audio" setting). I am retransconding using mp3, Yes. done. This should work....

Tim

Re: itRe: Importing video and audio into courses

by Timothy Takemoto -
It is not displaying and the audio is not in sync with the subtitles even on my computer, but I am hopeful.