To Martin

To Martin

by Steve Hyndman -
Number of replies: 5

I'm not sure why you think this kind of threat will work with me.

So, are you just going to delete my account, or are you also going to purge all my "...disrespectful, off-topic postings and personal attacks..." as well?

Heck of a standard you are setting here.

Steve

Attachment md.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Steve Hyndman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, I didn't think it would work with you, but I did want to give you one last chance. I didn't expect you to break basic netiquette again by re-posting private email to the forums without permission.

After *two years* sticking up for you and trying to come to some understanding with you I've finally had enough of your calculated and prolonged disruptions in these forums. A lot of time has been wasted. sad

This is the very first time I have ever had to come to this point with any user in any forum I've ever been involved with, and it goes against every inclusive principle that I hold, so this is a very difficult decision for me. I feel terrible about it. However, consider yourself banned for 12 months.

Your account has been given the "Can not post" role sitewide. None of your posts etc will be touched. Perhaps someone might like to research this whole episode and the different points of view, I think it would make a fascinating paper or even a thesis.

I fully expect you to keep creating new accounts and trying to bypass the ban, but while you do so you might want to think about your motives for being involved on moodle.org at all.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Steve Hyndman

by Marc Grober -
That might be just the the thing..... research the whole episode.
I suppose there must be more to this than an over-reaction to some good-natured ribbing with respect to ratings that seemed, well, inordinately high? The question I would have about undertaking such a review is whether such a review, if it concluded that the ban was grossly inappropriate, would put the reviewer at risk..... nobody likes lawyers....

On the other hand, one could avoid personal sadness by asking a peer review panel to consider specific infractions of an adopted code (you see why people really hate lawyers.....) What are the standards of behavior here, what exactly is alleged, and how can the community best address its overall interests? Frankly, I am apparently clueless as I have been laid off for doing my job.... so written rules, communal involvement, progressive discipline starting with, oh maybe censure; these all seem to me to be valuable considerations.

I am going to stew about this for a few days.

As Anthony is wont to say.....

Peace

In reply to Marc Grober

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a lengthy saga, Marc. While I have been there to witness a lot of it I can't begin to understand how we got here. Steve, while never being openly aggressive or libelous, has pushed to the very limit uncovering every human weakness in those he, I presume, perceives to be in his line of fire. At the same time he has been constantly helpful to the remainder of participants in these forums, which is why it is a shame.

He knew this was coming, I just wonder what's next.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Shaun Daubney -
Such a thing is human nature ay. It's funny how, given the same tools, the behaviours of our students are replicated in an 'adult' environment.

I've had to ban students before who are generally very helpful and supportive but will then occasionally just go on some kind of forum rampage, or start PM dirty words.

It's obviously some kind of syndrome where a person, much like a primate, gradually builds up using the support of the community around them until they reach the top of the tree where they have good vantage to pelt poo down on them. Consider Hitler or Chris Evans.

I don't know much about this particular incident other than what I've read this morning, but I do find is fascinated to see how the basic fundamentals of human nature play out across demographics.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Just H -
It basically started here, and has gone downhill over the past two years. Crying shame really, Steve has a lot to offer, not always to everyone's agreement to be sure, but I believe there was a definite attitudinal change after the trademark issue.