Trojan found when I tried to Install Moodle 1.9 and 1.8

Trojan found when I tried to Install Moodle 1.9 and 1.8

by Donna Brettell -
Number of replies: 7
I downloaded Moodle Complete Package v1.9 and when I ran startMoodle.exe my anti virus software detected a trojan called "Fundown.a" in file B2e.exe which it removed.

I deleted all all the moodle files and downloaded v1.8 and the same problem occurred when I ran startMoodle.exe.

I am using windows Vista.

Can anybody help me solve this problem.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Donna Brettell

Re: Trojan found when I tried to Install Moodle 1.9 and 1.8

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there,

have you updated your antivirus definitions recently? - it seems that some antivirus vendors are aware of the false positive reading, and have updated their definitions, also - what antivirus are you using?

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Donna Brettell -
I'm using CA Security Center

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Donna,

I'd suggest posting a message on the CA forum here about the false positive:
http://192.8.110.4/homeofficeforum/forums/show/12.page;jsessionid=FF03A8AC406FFE7699DE223D5EDCD239

make sure you include as much info as possible - eg what error you get, what file you are getting the error from (include a link to the moodle.org download page) and also put a link to this as well which will help back up your case to get them to fix it:
http://www.f2ko.de/cgi-bin/guestbook.php.cgi

good luck!

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes, I had not noticed that file before. You must be right, Dan - I just tested the installer with some other virus scanners and made a quick search - CA Anti-virus seems to find (hopefully) false positive trojans from many other files too.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -
Hi all,
I tested with the last updated version of AVG, Norton, Avast and AC, they do not detect falsy positive anymore.
I confirm than AVG detected a falsy positive few weeks ago. I alerted them. Since the last update, AVG doesn't detect any falsy positive on Moodle exe files.

Thanks,
Jerome Mouneyrac
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mauno Korpelainen -

startMoodle.exe ?????

There should not be such file in moodle. Did you download the package from http://download.moodle.org/