Global Search : New code review and Zend engine update

Global Search : New code review and Zend engine update

by Valery Fremaux -
Number of replies: 12

Zend Engine has been updated to most recent stable release 1.5.1. Improves handling of UTF-8 files and adds some new search methods.

I took the train for fixing old bugs such as bad UTF-8 encoding of links in query results (needs some more patches in some documents), and fix an HTM conversion issue.

All trunk and branches updated.

Let me know about problems on this version, specially about 1.8/1.9 compatibility that I can fix quickly.

MartinD assigned to me an odd bug case on chat indexing. I have not seen anything till now, but lacks of material to test.

A new configuration parameter allows more flexible way of handling external text converter location in the system, now allowing them to reside outside the Moodle directory. Do not change anything as a default.

Now, again, use the tracker to tell me about deseases.

Cheers. 

PS. Last news : We are about to test SWF indexing, working with Tim William for AutoView. We applied for Adobe Search SDK Licence. A question is : is that license compatible with Moodle Licencing status ? Please tell me about.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Valery Fremaux

Re: Global Search : New code review and Zend engine update

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Valery.

Thanks for your attention to the problems in /search, but please be really careful making changes to stable branches. A number of new problems have been created.

1) Please make sure changes in stable branches are properly tagged as MOODLE_XX_MERGED (Eloy just updated the list of unmerged files soyou can see: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Unmerged_files)
2) Please don't maintain ANY language files in the block itself. http://cvs.moodle.org/moodle/blocks/search/lang Just maintain this one: http://cvs.moodle.org/moodle/lang/en_utf8/block_search.php
3) Please include a MDL-12345 reference in EVERY checkin message with further info and proper fix versions in an issue in the tracker. Otherwise your changes won't appear on the to-be-tested list and won't get reviewed.

We'll be reviewing it further today for possible new security problems etc (it's review day!)

(And unfortunately the Adobe Search Engine SDK would not be compatible with the GPL and can not be included in Moodle)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Valery Fremaux -

Thank you for your guidance. Dealing with a so huge responibility is not so easy.

1. New issues known : problem of invoking physical to text convertors : on Windows the file argument on the command line might take advantage of being double quoted. We experimented an issue on this on Linux.

2. Lang file : OK, i noticed actually unwanted lang dir in search in 1.9 stable. Removed to comply this rule.

3. If I understood the riht procedure : commit in HEAD and trigger the tracker for notifying changes to test (MDL-12345). How will I get feedback of changes success ?

Are you aware of another swf2txt tool we could use ?

Thanks again, Martin for your so valuable control.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

Basically, all changes should have an issue for them. There are three main scenarios:

1) Obvious fix for a known problem

Make the fix in MOODLE_19_STABLE, merge those changed files across to HEAD and change the MOODLE_19_MERGED tag on the MOODLE_19_STABLE branch for those files. Consider porting back to MOODLE_18_STABLE and perhaps further if it makes sense. Always reference the issue number in all checkin messages. See the CVS docs for full details.

2) Bug fix that could be major or otherwise unsure

Post a patch to the bug tracker and make some noise, ask for some core people to review it and test it (add them as watchers in the bug, Skype them, use the forums, whatever). They will comment on the bug tracker and you get email. If some trusted people give it the OK then goto (1).

3) New feature

Similar to (2) except you might want to start with some discussion even earlier in the process, perhaps before any code is written.

Cheers,
Martin

by Andrew Chow -
Hi, I installed the latest weekly of 1.9, and could not get the indexing to convert any files other than the PowerPoint format. Is there any installation procedure that I missed? I followed the youtube tutorial.

From the initial testing, the results returned from chat sessions, and forum posts, as well as resource links. I would like to have the document converters in place for PDF, and Word documents if possible. It looks like a great new addition to Moodle, and will be extremely useful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
In reply to Andrew Chow

by Valery Fremaux -

Answered back by messaging... Andrew smile

I will have to review the setup documentation... for the new parameters.

by Valery Fremaux -

Andrew - the code for converters is actually in CVS in the contrib section, at the path : contrib/patches/global_search_libraries.

here is a direct link to it http://download.moodle.org/patches/global_search_libraries.zip

(Anthony Borrow will be proud of me !! clin d’oeilgrand sourire)

This contrib section gives the Win32 version of MSWord and PDF converters, along with the Linux version.

If anyone knows about other converters that could help indexing other file formats let me know. I will setup physical format wrappers consequently.

Seeking for :

• Open source GPL converters for SWF files
  • text extractors for video or image metadata

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Valery - I'm very proud to see the use of the download.moodle.org server! approve Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martin Dougiamas -
Don't mean to be all hand-slappy but could we please promote the download.php script so we have some stats? tongueout

http://download.moodle.org/download.php/patches/global_search_libraries.zip

Cheers! smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Valery Fremaux -

could we please promote the download.php script so we have some stats?

Absolutely !! More twice than once. I was wondering for a long time how you were getting such "use" stats on plugins.

by Miroslav Fikar -
It seems that global search simply does not work in the latest 1.8.5+ although it was working in our installation with 1.8.4+. Some solved issues are given in MDL-14325.