Latest moodle 1.9 does not seem to allow editing of profiles

Latest moodle 1.9 does not seem to allow editing of profiles

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

It seems that the latest version of moodle, (Moodle 1.9 + (Build: 20080403)) does not allow users to edit their profile nor to add resources and activities to a course when accessing the course as a teacher.

I administer 3 moodle systems, all 1.9.

One of them is "Build: 20080311" and does not have the above mentioned problems.

The other two are "Build: 20080403". When a user logs in and click on his/her name at the top right or bottom of the window, the user sees his/her profile. However with the latest version of moodle there is no [Edit profile] or [Change password] button. See screenshot below:

no edit prifile tabe or change password button
Furthermore, when a user logs into a course of which they are a user, and they click on the [Turn editing on] button, certain editing icons appear, but the add resource and activity menus do not appear. See screenshot below:

no add resource and activity menus

Given that this problem is occurring in the latest version of moodle (Build: 20080403), and not in an older version of moodle 1.9, I believe that this may be a new bug (see MDL-14159). On the other hand, it may be there is a new setting in Moodle 1.9 of which I am not aware.

One other key difference between the moodle system that does not have this problem, and the systems that do, is that the system without the problem was a fresh install, whereas the problem systems are upgrades from moodle 1.8.4.

Note, that as administrator I do not experience either of these problems.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

System details for problem system:
moodle 1.9 (Build: 20080403)
mysql: 5.0.37
php 5.2.1
mac server

System details for OK system:
moodle 1.9 (Build: 20080311)
mysql: 5.0.45
php 4.4.8
linux server (shared hosting)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Latest moodle 1.9 does not seem to allow editing of profiles

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I just updated from CVS about 2 minutes ago and it seems fine for me.

I maintain that if in doubt about the db, do a fresh install of 1.9 dump the schema and make sure it is the same as your production install.

A pain but..... we have had some odd problems that way (not this one though).
In reply to Howard Miller

Howard,

Thanks for your reply.

I have managed to upgrade a demo moodle site on a mac powerbook from 1.8.4 to 1.9 without experiencing the above problems. The main difference between this system and the above problem systems is that this demo site had very little content.

As you suggest, it seems that something about the databases in both of the problem systems 'disagrees' with the upgrade process and / or the new 1.9 system.

Please could you explain what you mean by: "do a fresh install of 1.9 dump the schema and make sure it is the same as your production install". I'm not an expert mysql-er, so if you could give me a few more details it would be much appreciated.

These are the steps I followed to updgrade the systems from 1.8.4 to 1.9:
  1. turned on maintenance mode in the moodle system
  2. made a complete backup of the server
  3. made a copy of the moodle directory
  4. made a copy of the moodledata directory
  5. made a backup of the MySQL database using MySQL Adminsistrator (all tables locked, SQL file)
  6. used CVS to update: cvs update -dP -r MOODLE_19_STABLE
  7. access /moodle/admin via a browser to run the upgrade process
  8. experienced a problem during the upgrade (MDL-14124), but seemed to have solved the problem
  9. all MySQL tables were reported to have been created successfully
  10. only when logging in as a teacher, then a student, did I notice the above mentioned problems.
Assuming the cause of the problems is not the problem I experienced during the upgrade (see step 8 above), then what steps above should change? Thank you for any help you can give.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I mean do a completely separate installation - but using *exactly* the same code base (same optional plugins, everything), so you get a new empty database. Use phpmyadmin / 'mysqldump -d' or whatever you are happy with to get a copy of the database 'schema' for both sites. Use diff or some other file compare utility to see if there are any differences. There should not be in theory, but if there are you've found your bug.

I keep talking about doing this, so I'll do it myself asap and put it in the docs.

by Rosario Carcò -

I'm testing 1.9+ (Build 20080307) and there is improper display of the tabs, see attached screen-shot. BUT ONLY in Internet Explorer. FireFox is ok.

Rosario

Attachment tabs19IEnotOK.gif

by Luis De Sousa -

Hi...

You most manage users permisions (Administration > users > manage permisions) and edit capabilities for user role. For example: Edit own user profile item, allows a user to edit their own profile or not

Explanations about this here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/user:editownprofile

Fourth item listed at that url is very important!

Bye...

In reply to Luis De Sousa

Luis,

Thank you for your reply.

"You most manage users permisions ..."

I wish things were that simple. The permission settings are exactly the same as those in a moodle 1.9 system that does not exhibit these problems.

Since my last posting here I have retried the upgrade, and it is now possible for teachers to see the add resource and activity menus, but still not possible for users to edit their profiles or change their passwords.

The details of what I did can be read here: MDL-14159, and scroll to the bottom.

by Luis De Sousa -
Peter... I believe that I had a like problem that you have now. My moodle installation has almost 10000 users. When I updated the system from 1.8.4 to 1,9, suddenly: oops! creators, professors and students couldn't edit their profile. I solved the problem editting "editownprofile" field of the authenticated user. If this does not solve your problem, you most review for the "Default field role all users" (defaultuserroleid). It is located in "users > permissions > policies". This field must contain "Authenticated user" (default value). I hope this helps you. Bye...

Luis,

Thanks for your reply:

"...review for the "Default field role all users" (defaultuserroleid)..."

You may be on to something. The setting for 'defaultuserroleid' in my moodle 1.8.4 systems is "Guest", and in a successfully installed 1.9 system it is "Authenticated user", which as you point out is the default setting in 1.9. So, my guess is that in the two 1.9 systems which I upgraded from 1.8.4, the 'defaultuserroleid' setting stayed fixed at the 1.8.4 default, and so users could not edit their profiles.

In the next few days I will again try to update from 1.8.4 to 1.9, and will check the setting for 'defaultuserroleid'.

by Luis De Sousa -
Peter,
Your hypothesis is correct. When the system is updated from 1.8.4 to 1.9 the value of 'defaultuserrolid' remains "Guest"

by Sarah Dutcher -
Hello Luis,
I have double checked that my default user id is set to Authenticated user. I have double checked that the Authenticated user has permission to edit their own profile and change their own password. These permissions are set correctly for the teacher and student role as well. However, my teachers and students still do not see the Edit Profile tab or the Change Password button.

I found that if I manually add a user to a role (in the Assign System Roles section) they get permissions to edit their profile and change their password, but this assigns them to all courses in the system which is not good.

Do you have any ideas about what else I can check to fix this issue?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Sarah Meadus