Using MathType with Moodle

Re: Using MathType with Moodle

by Bob Mathews -
Number of replies: 9
"I use MathType 6. It does not display the equation that I want."

Can you be more specific?
  • What equation are you trying to display?
  • When you say "it does not display", exactly what do you mean?
  • What steps are you going through to try to put the MathType equation into Moodle?
BTW, the link in my previous post in this thread still works, but the article has moved. The article describes how to use MathType with Moodle, and is now located at http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/workswith/moodle.htm.

Bob
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Mathews

by Joelle King -
I too encountered trouble trying to follow the directions to paste math type into a moodle quiz.

I tried to create a quiz question: Solve (insert a quadratic equation with math type). It inserted the equation, but included all of the commands, so between Solve and my equation there was a bunch of code.

I tried again. Went back to math type and under preferences made sure the box "include math type data in translation was unchecked" (default is checked). This took away all of the code, but changed the way my equation was shown. I did this several times with inline equation checked and not checked (according to directions it should have been checked). I don't remember what happened with each scenario, but two other things happened: 1) my exponent was show with "^" rather than as an exponent. 2) added brackets and braces were included in my equation. (I think I may have done a manual fix to problem number 1 by putting $$ around the math type text and problem 2 occurred.

Joelle
In reply to Joelle King

by Alice Keeler -
I love mathtype

In the settings there is an option for how it pastes, you can have it paste with the double $$ sign.

Off the top of my head I can't remember which one is which, a little trial and error is what I usually do smile
In reply to Joelle King

by Bob Mathews -
Joelle, you're correct that the "MathType information" shouldn't be included with the translation. I have edited the article with the instruction to make sure these two boxes are unchecked ("Include translator name in translation" and "Include MathType data in translation").

Other than that, I don't know what might have gone wrong. Following these instructions will produce the best results:
  1. In MathType, choose the "TeX -- LaTeX 2.09 and later" translator.
  2. In MathType's Format menu, make sure Inline Equation is not checked.
That should produce code that begins with a backslash and an open bracket, and ends with a backslash and a close bracket:

\[{x^2} - 4x - 12 = 0\]

The double dollar signs are OK, as far as Moodle is concerned, but it's better to use the backslash-bracket delimiters. The single dollar sign will not work with the built-in TeX filter, but will work with some other filters -- ASCIIMathML.js being one.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Mathews

by Joelle King -
Bob and Alice,

Thanks for the replies. I messed around in math type and checked something --honestly don't remember what, but that seemed to fix the problem and I was able to get equations into my quiz. Appreciate the helpbig grin

Thanks,

Joelle
In reply to Joelle King

by Bob Mathews -
Joelle -- thanks for letting us know. Glad it's working for you!

Bob
In reply to Bob Mathews

by Bob Mathews -
We've made some changes to our website since I made my original reply in this thread. This is the current link that replaces the page at the previous link: http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/works_with.htm?target=moodle.
In reply to Bob Mathews

by hezi noyman -

Just want to report that at the Open University -Israel we are new to Moodle but very experienced using Mathtype.

Today we had the beginning of use Mathtype with Moodle - works simply great.

In reply to hezi noyman

by Dhananjay Bhave -

Hi,

I am using mathtype to write math questions and then uploading to moodle.  It works well with equation having bar but it does not work with vector. Moodle does not convert the vector equation after I upload to moodle.

Please help..

Dhananjay

In reply to Dhananjay Bhave

by Bob Mathews -

Can you point us to some examples that show what's happening? Screen shots will help -- also the code that you're pasting from MathType into Moodle.

You say you're "uploading to Moodle". Can you describe the process you're using to go from MathType to Moodle?