Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

by David M -
Number of replies: 16
Since upgrading to Moodle 1.9 we have been unable to restore blackboard course exports, while trying to import the following error is given:

"course_header object missing from session"

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David M

Re: Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

by Astrid Schwarz -

Hello,

I have the same error message when I try to restore a BB-course to Moodle. The only difference is that I´m using Moodle 1.8.4. (and Blackboard 7.3).

Hope anyone can help?

Astrid

In reply to Astrid Schwarz

!Re: Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

by Astrid Schwarz -

Hi again,

I found something interesting concerning to the problem above mentioned: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13339?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:changehistory-tabpanel

If I understand correctly, this means that the problem should be solved in Moodle 1.8.5, 1.9 and 2.0. But David has the same problem with Moodle 1.9!

Any other ideas?

Astrid

Re: !Re: Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

by David M -
I did a test install on another machine of the latest moodle 1.8.4+ and im getting the same error with it.
In reply to David M

Re: !Re: Moodle 1.9 Import Blackboard

by Alan Zaitchik -
We are also stuck with the same problem, going from BB 7.1 to Moodle 1.9+ (Build 20080423). Is there something about the way we exported from BB (created the zip file)? Or is it a problem on the Moodle side? In my case I got the problem whether I exported Discussions or not.
Our migration is now stopped cold!
(Maybe BB's outrageous prices are actually worth it...)
In reply to David M

by Astrid Schwarz -

I haven´t found a solution for this problem.

Anyone who can help?

by Anthony Helm -
While I can't say for certain that this is a solution, I did have the same error, but found that it was resolved when exported Bb courses were set to include "Course Settings" in the export package. (Bb 6.3.1.645)

The whole business of Bb migration to Moodle is a pain that appears to be resolved only with a lot of manual manipulation of the content. *Sigh*

The Course Transfer Tool (http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/index.html) is a bit out of date, but does do a better job of handling Bb text description migration compared to the built-in tool in Moodle. However, the built-in tool handles attachments better. Neither offers a truly satisfactory experience though, and both have size limitations, though, and only Moodle's tools can be somewhat tweaked on the backend.

For now, we are looking at combining the CTT tool along with raw import of Bb export archives and manual manipulation as the only viable solution. One year of pain.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Cheers,
Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David M

by Ian Farmery -

I am also trying to convert Blackboard (6.1 Basic) to Moodle (1.9.1) and I keep getting the following error message. Some of the archives will import and others just refuse to.

error-2.jpg

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? Or even an explanation as to why some will work and others dont work at all?

Thanks

Ian

In reply to Ian Farmery

by Lynn Revai -

I'm getting the same error just using Import without blackboard.

Love a solution

In reply to David M

by Susana Caixinha -
Hello,

I've had the same problem, and I resolved it.
Instead of export the course from Blackboard you should archive the course, because all information concerning to the course is attached in the zip file (name of the course, code, etc).

I hope this help!
In reply to Susana Caixinha

by Jeff Blankenship -
I was having the same issue and archiving the courses via Blackboard was the only option resolved it. Thanks for posting this information. You're a lifesaver!
In reply to Jeff Blankenship

by Melissa Wert -
I received the following error message after trying to restore an archived BB course in Moodle 1.9:

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking for BlackBoard export
You need the XSLT library installed in PHP to open this Blackboard file

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it?
In reply to Melissa Wert

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is a PHP extension. If you go to Admin -> Server -> PHP Info, and search, you will probably find that there is no mention of XSLT anywhere on that page. You need to install whatever PHP extension it is that adds it. (Probably this one: http://php.net/manual/en/book.xsl.php)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Migrating Blackboard Version 8 Course into Moodle 1.9

by Elizabeth Smith -

I am attempting to restore a course from Blackboard version 8. Using both an archived and exported Blackboard course produces the following error: "A required parameter (id) was missing".  I get a Continue button but the file does not upload into my Moodle course.

Does the Restore function not support Blackboard version 8 courses? Any idea if Moodle 2 will?

In reply to Elizabeth Smith

Re: Migrating Blackboard Version 8 Course into Moodle 1.9

by ben reynolds -
Hi Elizabeth, that's often Moodlish for "your file is bigger than the allowed upload limit."

Here's a good place to start seeing whether file size is your problem. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Administration_FAQ#How_do_the_limits_on_uploaded_files_work.3F
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Migrating Blackboard Version 8 Course into Moodle 1.9

by Elizabeth Smith -

Thanks Ben! I will take a look at this.

Elizabeth