Bug or feature in forum module 1.9?

Bug or feature in forum module 1.9?

by Andy Tagliani -
Number of replies: 5
I restore a course from a former moodle version, as example i try too the features backup file here from moodle and restore them on a clean new moodle 1.9 today. In a forum is one disussion "A single simple discussion" in the forum single discussion.

No admin or teacher can delete this one existing post. They can edit them, buit not delete, it comes:

Sorry, but you are not allowed to delete that discussion!

If i choose another forum type, example standard forum, i can delete this topic. I mean to remember, in the past i can delete topics even in this forum type...?

Andy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Tagliani

Re: Bug or feature in forum module 1.9?

by Hooi Ling Eng -
I had the same problem backing up and restoring a course with moodle 1.9. I had backed up the course without user data and user files and after restoring it, the first post for 'A single simple discussion' forum type remained. Strangely the first post was associated with me, rather than the author who had posted it.

There were other fora for which all posts were deleted but the first post for each 'A single simple discussion' forum remained. I had to reset the course to delete these posts but now the forum itself is not usable. I only see the error message 'Could not find the discussion in this forum' and clicking 'continue' only takes me back to the moodle homepage.
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The initial posting in this type of forum is not a "real" posting at all. It's just a view of the forum introduction text. That is not user-data and so, correctly, survives a backup and restore with all user related data switched off.

There are two issues of course. As you no longer have any users in the course the "owner" of the posting cannot be the original teacher as they are no longer in the course. I'm not sure what the solution for that would be.

The other point is that the delete option should not really be shown as it can't work. I've raised a bug for that - MDL-17654

The reset function for this is broken too - MDL-17656
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jonathan Small -
I ran into this same issue.  Has anyone heard about a fix to this bug???
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Parke -
Hello Howard et al,

We are using Moodle 1.9.4+ and are experiencing the "owner" issue associated with the single simple discussion forums.

At an institutional level, the "rollover process" from semester to semester is defined to meet the needs of the institution and this does not necessarily mesh with the default Moodle functionality, as many are discovering.

Use of RESET of Same Course Shell for Semester to Semester Rollover Process
If a user triggers "reset" within a course and reuses the course in this manner semester to semester, then tie-in to an enrollment system (LDAP, External Database, Message Broker) does not work as the course naming conventions are not altered so enrollments cannot be automated.

Use of Backup and Restore to New Shell for Semester to Semester Rollover Process
If a team of systems administrators has a process whereby new shells are created semester to semester and backup files from existing courses are restored to the new course shell then enrollment system tie-in functions work (naming conventions are mapped to the new shell, just content is reused in new shell), the prior semester shells are available for archiving and/or re-opening to limited students for incomplete makeups, and there is less possibility of corruption of the database associated with a course due to consistent yearly reset.

- The problem with this new course shell restore process comes because currently the only users who can restore a course to a new shell or to an existing shell other than the one they are CURRENTLY IN are users in the role of admin or course creator - not teacher. Hence, the only users who can complete this process are the user not associated with the course shell - so in the scenario of the single-simple discussion forum, the sys admin or course creator is assigned as the creator of the single-simple forum rather than the faculty member associated with the new shell.

Possible solution:
Upon restore by sys admin and assignment of the faculty member to the role of "teacher", then the system should update the user associated as the creator of the single simple discussion thread - even if it means the faculty member needs to login to the new shell and trigger a "reset" in order to re-associate the faculty user as the creator of the single-simple discussion thread.

I'm going to create a new ticket on this problem and reference this thread and see where the issue goes from here....

Tracker is here: MDL-18599

Many thanks to all on these reports...

- Mary