User management and Moodle 1.9

User management and Moodle 1.9

by Peter Wallace -
Number of replies: 5
I have been working on both 1.8 and 1.9 lately and I have found that with the filters option in Browse Users is much slower than using 1.8. The search box and the ability to click the letter of the first letter of a name is great and I miss it on v1.9. Is there a way to bring it back in 1.9?

I am sure the filters will be useful for some things, but clearing the filter before the next search slows me down when I have a list of accounts that need attention. I would like to have the old search box and the alphabet search as well as the filters.

Peter
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Wallace

Re: User management and Moodle 1.9

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

I agree with you that the filter option when browsing the list of users in 1.9 is slower than the search box and alphabet name search in 1.8. If you have chance, please report this issue in the tracker. If you then post the tracker issue number in this discussion, it will encourage others to vote for and/or comment on the issue.
In reply to Peter Wallace

Svar: User management and Moodle 1.9

by Nicklas Lindgren -
The list of links for filtering by initials is an inconvenience for users of screenreaders.

I think that particular solution should be removed, for the sake of accessibility.

The search box is good, though.
In reply to Nicklas Lindgren

Re: Svar: User management and Moodle 1.9

by Just H -
Hi Nicklas

IMHO making things accessible shouldn't mean breaking functionality that, again IMHO, is very useful for the majority of users. Can't a "skip" be added to the code so screen readers ignore the alphabet?

Regards
H

In reply to Just H

Svar: Re: Svar: User management and Moodle 1.9

by Nicklas Lindgren -
I agree. This is not one of the most severe accessibility problems. Its possible that the advantages of this feature outweigh its disadvantages.

But when considering all possible soulutions, please consider that this one has some disadvantages.

The problems are:

- Lots more text prepended to the page before the main contents may be discovered
- About 52 more entries in the list of links, whose texts do not make sense out of context
- When not seeing the layout, the links might not even make sense in context
- Keyboard-only navigation requires more effort

(The usefulness of this feature also decreases when there is a few thousand users.)

It is in principle not possible to automatically make screen readers skip parts of the page, nor is it possible to hide parts of the page. (If you accept the usage of the Screen reader profile setting, this is possible though.)