Updated Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool

Updated Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool

by Bill Evans -
Number of replies: 4

Updated Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/index.html

Here is a preview of an update to the Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool originally developed by Dina Volodarskaya.

Over the course of time, many of those using the Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool have requested revisions to the tool to make it more robust and user-friendly. Of the issues gathered from users, ten issues were selected as the most pressing, as they represented bugs in the system (i.e. issues that that do not function as intended or as users would expect them to function). The enhancements include cleaner import of quizzes; accurate transfer of correct answers to T/F quiz questions; eliminating file concatenation problems during transfer; eliminating truncation of descriptive text summaries during transfer; and streamlining the user interface to the tool.

We'd appreciate comments on this project.

Documentation available at:
http://iss-tech.humboldt.edu/mellon/ctt

This work is being released under GPL license and was completed with the support of a Mellon Award for Technology Collaboration.

Project Contributors included:
Clifford Tham, San Francisco State University
Allisun O’Connell, Humboldt State University
Ray Thompson, Humboldt State University
Jon Skulski, Humboldt State University
Bill Evans, Humboldt State University
Andrew Coile, California State University Monterey Bay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Evans

Re: Updated Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool

by Travis Burrell -
Question: what does this tool cover that isn't included in the functionality of restoring a Blackboard course archive in MOODLE 1.8.4?
In reply to Bill Evans

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot for your work updating the Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool. No doubt many former Blackboard users will find it helpful. approve

In order for people to easily find the Blackboard to Moodle Content Transfer Tool, please could you add it to the modules and plugins database and also update the Blackboard migration documentation.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Van Howell -

I tried a BB6 course that we received from McGraw-Hill. The course size is 1190KB. The conversion tool imported without any problem, I was able to view the quiz questions, content and other information about the course. I was able to assign quizes and content to specific weeks. When I converted It gave me a link to download the Moodle Zip file then I get this error message

"The requested resource (/ctt/out/mader_hb10e_blackboard6_backup1204597549419Dir/HumanBiology_,10/e-Mader_MoodleImport.zip) is not available."

This looks like a great tool and exactly what we need.

Any help with getting it working would be appreciated.

Thanks

Van Howell

In reply to Bill Evans

by Elizabeth von Briesen -

Bill,

First I want to thank you for making this tool available, as it is a great help in the conversion process!

I was converting a course from BBd 6+ to Moodle 1.8.4, and found that while it did create working quizzes, when I viewed the quiz questions within their categories I could only see the first question. I know the questions must exist somewhere in Moodle, as they all appear in the quiz, but I cannot access them through the quiz category. I am wondering if there may be a 'quick fix' on the Moodle side which will repair that.

Thank you!

Elizabeth