Independent Teacher--Brand new, already floundering

Independent Teacher--Brand new, already floundering

by Lorraine Poirier -
Number of replies: 16

Hi, everyone,

I've had Moodle less than a day and already I've tripped myself up.

I have an ITHP (Independent Teacher Hosting Page), so I have no IT dept to go to.  Here's what I've done already.

I have the 5 maximum courses.  As I was going through and renaming my courses from "Course Fullname,"--trying to start simple, right?--somehow I lost my teacher privileges--as in, as a teacher I don't HAVE privileges--to one of the courses.  It's still there, listed as Course Fullname 102, but I can't access it as an editing teacher at all.  Then tonight, I was trying to figure out what I'd done, when I noticed in the administration box of another course, one I had successfully name-changed and described and everything, "unenroll me from course x."  Thinking, Lorraine, you idiot, how did you enroll yourself in your own course as a student?, I "unenrolled" myself and now that course exists but also without a teacher and doesn't show up under the courses I teach.  It's a mess, and less than 24 hours.  I'm really not usually this helpless.  What the heck have I done wrong?  (Mostly a rhetorical question, but hey, if anyone knows how I can FIX it, that would be great!)  Do I need to contact someone and have them just reset me from the beginning, and then tell my cat and dog what to do so I don't mess up again? smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lorraine Poirier

Re: Independent Teacher--Brand new, already floundering

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Welcome to Moodle!

by Un-enrolling yourself you have removed yourself as a teacher. - you will need to contact the admin of the site, and ask them to add you back as a teacher. - (and don't click the "unenrol" link again!)

good luck!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Lorraine Poirier -

Thanks for responding!  I have no idea how to contact the administrator, as I am hosted by Moodle as an independent teacher.  Lesli has offered to help me.

Looking at the other classes I haven't managed to goof up, I see "unenroll me from this course" is indeed a link on all of them.  If I am the teacher, why would that be an option--or why would I want it? thoughtful

Lorraine

by Steve Hyndman -

Sounds like you may have a class with a Moodle Partner on one of their shared Moodle sites?

If so, you will have to ask them why it's an option and why you would want it....I'm not sure why you want want that ability either.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Lorraine Poirier -

I accessed my account by going here:  http://www.moodlerooms.com/individual-teacher-hosting-package.html

so I don't think it's a Moodle Partner.  I expect moodlerooms is where I need to go for help.  I've posted in both places, actually, and Lesli has offered to help me. 

Thanks!

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Lorraine. I just dropped you back in as a teacher in your courses as per our IM communications, but I missed the bit here about possibly turning off the "unenroll" option in the admin block. Let me know if you'd like me to tweak that, too.

Moodlerooms, Inc. is a partner, but as you can see, there are also many Moodlers here willing to help when the need arises. It's what I love about this community! approve

In reply to Lesli Smith

by A. H. -
Hello Lesli,

Can you help me remove the unenroll option? What code file should i edit?

Thnx in advance,
amer
In reply to A. H.

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Amer. I was in a hurry and mis-spoke above when I said "I" would tweak the unenroll for her. I am actually the last person on these boards to go to for code assistance. blush I'm kind of the poster child for "if this teacher end-user can work with Moodle, anyone can." wink Anyway, what I meant was that I can find someone for her who can in our tech support. I do, though, happen to know someone in these forums who did this for his school. I will ping him via IM and ask him if he can help out, here.
In reply to A. H.

Re: preventing teachers from unenrolling themselves by mistake

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Amer,

Please see the unenrolment documentation for instructions on how to prevent teachers from unenrolling themselves by mistake.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: preventing teachers from unenrolling themselves by mistake

by A. H. -
Hi Helen,
Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
regards,
amer

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Lorraine,

Unenroll me from this course is an option that is standard open to teachers. It can be good to have, especially if teachers have also been given the right to add other teachers to their course (which may be the case for you, since it lessens the workload of the admin). It may happen that teachers are added mistakenly or temporarily to courses. Some teachers can thus get very long lists of courses on their MyMoodle page. Unenrolling yourself from courses to which you do not need access, is so far the only way to shorten the list (until the MyMoodle page has been made editable in a way that allow hiding or collapsing of course blocks).

Now that you know what this option does, you will not do this again by mistake, so there is no reason really to take away the option.
Incidentally, perhaps I should point out that in the Reset options there is also a possibility to unwittingly remove yourself from the course (if you select the Teachers tickbox when resetting).

You may get some useful info from our online manuals at http://moodle.tokem.fi.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Lesli Smith -
Amer--

Paul does bring up some important points to consider regarding the unenrollment options. Sorry I keep having to dart in and out of here in such a hurry. Thanks, Helen, for posting the link to the docs. Very helpful.

In short, one should consider very carefully before messing with these settings. In my case, and in Lorraine's, likely, too, it isn't very necessary to over-ride the defaults as we are single teachers with a fairly limited number of users and courses to track. It has never been an issue for me to keep it as an option as only one kid in five years has "accidentally" unenrolled himself. wink

However, in the instance I had in mind with the above reference, this school has a number of users and courses and has figured out a way to integrate Moodle with its SIS. Sooo...you can see where the option for a user to enroll or unenroll might throw things off a bit. I honestly don't know how things are going in practice with this bit of alteration in user capabilities. I just know it's possible to do it if the institution deems it necessary. Again, though, consider carefully before going this route. Best,

Lesli
In reply to Lesli Smith

by A. H. -
Hello Lesli,
Thank you for your replies and help.
In our case, we dont wana allow the teacher to neither enrnoll nor unenrnoll without our knowledge. Applied to students also.

We have things linked to Active Directory (enrollment and authentication) which is in turn linked to SIS via scripts. I see you were able to integrate with sis directly???Thats cool smile. Can you redirect me once again to the person in charge?

Thanks for your help, really appreciated.
amer
In reply to A. H.

Re: unenrollment off option

by Lesli Smith -
No--I am operating as an independent teacher through a Moodle Partner's installation, so I haven't had to deal with this issue. The school I have in mind is my husband's school, so everything I know is kind of second-hand knowledge. Plus, I have NO technical expertise with code to speak of, so all of it seems "wizard-behind-the-curtain" to me. The person I tried to contact hasn't responded. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice. Perhaps someone else out there has done this?

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hello Lorraine,

If you had not entered the course Fullname 102 previously, my guess would be that the admin entered you by mistake as a student or non-editing teacher to that course. If that was the case, you haven't done anything wrong.

Dan's advice holds.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Lorraine Poirier -

Nope, I didn't enter it--it came that way as a template.  That's the only class where I could never access it as a teacher.  The Spanish I class I goofed all on my own.  big grin

Thanks, Paul and Dan.