New Course Format - Single Sections

New Course Format - Single Sections

by Glen Davies -
Number of replies: 12
Hi
I have just put an alpha version of a new course format up for testing and feedback - and also to see if anybody else is working on anything similar (there are a few requests in the forums for the type of functionality this format offers but I didn't find any mention of anybody working on it). Details can be found out
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1165

The basic idea of this format is to provide a course entry page that only has section 0 and news items, rather than all the sections visible. The other sections are accessible via a left menu bar (based on yui_menu). When a section is selected from the menu this section displays by itself without section 0 at the top of the page. There is a demo you can log into as guest at
http://www.host4learning.com/moodlemce/course/view.php?id=4
if you want to see what this actually looks like.

The demo server above also has a small hack to the build navigation function which means if you are viewing an item in a section, the section title (taken from summary) displays in the top navigation bar.

There are a couple of known issues with the format at this stage:

1. The section name string is not being picked up on the edit section page.

2. If you create a new course and set format to Single Sections, the intial sections do not display in the section menu, but if you switch it to weekly and back to single section they do.

3. There are accessibility issues as the yui_menu does not provide a non-javascript version of the section links.

The above should be easy to fix and I will hopefully have them sorted in the next week or so.

Other things that I would like to add:
1. A way to add/remove sections from within the section menu rather than having to go to the course settings page.

2. Some way to integrate the 'section name in top breadcrumbs' functionality without having to hack weblib.php file. I suspect that this will haev to go into the core - shouldn't be too hard to an an extra option in theme setup similar to the option in 1.9 to remove resource type from navigation.

All feedback/suggestions/rotten tomatoes gratefully received.

Regards
Glen

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glen Davies

Re: New Course Format - Single Sections

by Stéphane Goussault -
Hello Glen,

I've tested your new course format. It's great.This format is particularly useful when the differents sections have lot of ressources and activities.
I would like to know if it is possible to prevent students of showing all sections by clicking on the icon on the right border of the block section.
I would like to disable this permission only for the courses with the single section format.

St2phane

In reply to Stéphane Goussault

by Glen Davies -
Hi
Thanks for the feedback. Currently there it is not possible to disable the show-all for students, but this is a good suggestion and I will look at getting it incorporated over the next couple of weeks.
Regards
Glen
In reply to Glen Davies

by Glen Davies -
I have just uploaded alpha 0.2 at

Changes:

• Current Section is now highlighted to give user context
  • In editing mode "add" and "remove" icons are now available in the left section menu for adding and removing extra sections
  • Missing icon next to home link fixed

In reply to Glen Davies

by Atia Cortes -
Hi Glen,
is this version available for moodle 1.8 stable?

Atia
In reply to Atia Cortes

by Glen Davies -
Unfortunately not at the moment. We are only working on Moodle 1.9 as part of the trial we are running and I have not had time to test it on 1.8. I will see if it can do it some time in the next couple of weeks and see what would be involved in modifying it for 1.8.

Regards
Glen
In reply to Glen Davies

by Simon Orsborn -
Hi Glen,

This is exactly what I've been looking for (I'm surprised it's not part of the moodle core already to be honest).

The only problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to add the section menu on the left. Is it supposed to show up in the add blocks list? (Because if it is, it isn't)

Cheers,
Simon O
In reply to Glen Davies

by Alan Trick -
There are accessibility issues as the yui_menu does not provide a non-javascript version of the section links.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd rather hastily forgotten about it. Because of the way YUI works, it's a bit ugly since you basically need two menus, but accessibility is important so I'd like to fix this up next time I work on it.

In reply to Glen Davies

by Beverley Oliver -

Hi Glen

I am new to Moodle and have just looked at your new course format.  It is perfect for the way I want to use Moodle.  I teach a modular A Level course and have had to set up the AS (year12) course as a course on its own and each module as a course.  I have used meta & child courses to make sure students only have to enrol once.  The new structure would make life a lot easier.  I can't wait to use it once it is completed.

In reply to Glen Davies

by Rolando Rodríguez -
hi, am working on a new course format for moodle 1.9 and i want to know if you have some documentation about course format creation tha you can give me, these will be a great help for me

Rolando
In reply to Rolando Rodríguez

by Glen Davies -
Hi Rolando
You would be better of posting this question in the main Course Formats forum rather than as a reply to this thread. I am sure there is some documentation somewhere, but couldn't find it at a quick look around now - but someone in the main forum will help you out.
Glen
In reply to Glen Davies

by nancy nerenberg -

other sections are accessible via a left menu bar (based on yui_menu). When a section is selected from the menu this section displays by itself without section 0 at the top of the page. There is a demo you can log into as guest at
if you want to see what this actually looks like.

---this links doesn't work. is there a way i can view your demo? Nancy N.

In reply to Glen Davies

by Kate McKelvey -

We have recently started using the single sections format. It's great but it seems that if a user adds an attachment to a News Forum post the attachment does not show on the home page of the course. and there is no link to 'discuss this topic' or anything so students cannot get to the attachments.

any ideas why this might be?