Choices in "Using Moodle" course

Choices in "Using Moodle" course

by Robert Brenstein -
Number of replies: 8
Is there a problem with the choice module under Moodle 1.9 or there is some external reason why none of the choices in the "using moodle" course display any responses.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Brenstein

Re: Choices in "Using Moodle" course

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Robert - This does seem to be a problem. I know it is being looked in to. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I wasn't aware it was a problem! I haven't seen a bug report for it!- what exactly is the issue?

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
that looks like a server timeout problem....

there are 2 calls to get_users_by_capability that are probably causing it....

I have to call it twice, as get_users_by_capability does not respond with details on which users are "hidden" - the script needs to get that info as hidden users should be counted in the results, but not shown in the unanswered column. To improve performance on moodle.org until get_users_by_capability has this ability, - I would suggest removing the hack and just not showing hidden users.

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
in fact, that hack can be tidied up a bit - it only really needs to run twice when the unanswered column is shown, (which from memory isn't shown on the moodle.org choice's) I'm out most of the day, but if someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll prepare a patch later tonight.

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
here's a quick and dirty untested patch:

find this line:

= get_users_by_capability, , , , , , , , true, false; 
replace with:

>showunanswered 
  = get_users_by_capability, , , , , , , , true, false;
} else {
 $allusersnothiden = $users;
}
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Dan.

Sorry but that's not the problem (thought it could be related). I did try your patch but it's not helping.

Somewhere in there is a big get_records that is causing Moodle to run out of memory (my guess, because of the large number of users we have here):

[Fri Feb 15 17:34:26 2008] [error] [client 220.227.31.67] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 100663296 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /var/www/html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 3004, referer: http://moodle.org/mod/choice/view.php?id=6689

I'll try to put a bit more time into it this weekend but if you're really keen to look I will not stop you! smile

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dan Marsden -

weird! - I'm happy to have a look, but may not get a proper chance till monday... but will have a quick play over the weekend if I get a chance!

thanks!

smile

Dan