HTML Editor in Essay Question

HTML Editor in Essay Question

by Steven Ouellette -
Number of replies: 3
I am not sure if this is a bug or something I messed up...

I have a quiz with three essay answers. One of the essay answers is most easily answered by generating output, formatting in Word, then pasting into the essay (it is a long statistical analysis).

One essay question shows the HTML editor and takes pasted Word input and formats it to look mostly like what it did in Word. (e.g. tables, formatting)

The other two essay questions do not show the HTML editor and when you paste in the formatted Word stuff all you get is plain text - all tables and formatting are lost.

The two essay questions that do not have the HTML editor also have the answer in the General Feedback. However, adding the same text from General Feedback to the one that does show the HTML editor does not make it go away.

Any clues?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Ouellette

Re: HTML Editor in Essay Question

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Steven!
In general, the essay question is MEANT to use only one html editor if you are presenting multiple questions.

Please see:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82635
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=81806

I think it might possibly change things if you present each question on a different page. . . I have never done that, but it might be worth a try!

atw

by Lauren Keinath -
Hi Steven:

There are lots more knowledgeable folks here than I, but we ran into a very similar issue just today, so I'll give you the answer my Moodle guru gave us; it may be that this will also work for you.

The wysiwyg editor is memory intensive... If you had an essay
test with 20 questions on a single page it would attempt to load the
editor 20 times and some systems may run out of memory and crash. Thus,
this is by design. The solution is to put the quizzes in 'one question
per page' mode.

Good luck!

by Steven Ouellette -
Ahhh, thank you both! I would never have thought of that.

Kind Regards,

Steve