SCORM Activity and Gradebook Communication

SCORM Activity and Gradebook Communication

by Nathaniel Latoni -
Number of replies: 58
I have some SCORM 1.2 compliant courses I uploaded to Moodle. After taking the course, I was able to see an attempt report with my status and grade, but my grade was not reported to the gradebook. Is there an issue with Moodle 1.9.2 and SCORM/Gradebook communication? I was really looking forward to using the contingencies included in the certificate add-on module but they depend upon course or activity grade(s). When will the gradebook be able to receive information from SCORM?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathaniel Latoni

Re: SCORM Activity and Gradebook Communication

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Nathaniel,

I've just hit the same iceberg, and if there is no resolution then this is going to be a significant issue - I'll let you know if I get an answer - if anyone else has found a solution then please feel free to share!
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by usha usha -
Hi everybody,
if i am not wrong , i found this issue only in moodle1.9 not in 1.8.
when i uncommented below lines, i got the results whatever i expected.
to update the gradebook everything , un comment these lines in 9.1 at
mod\scorm\locallib.php
if (strstr($element, '.score.raw')) {
$scorm = get_record('scorm', 'id', $scormid);
include_once('lib.php');
scorm_update_grades($scorm, $userid);
}

Pretty

In reply to usha usha

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Pretty,

I'm running Moodle 1.9 and i have the save problem... however, i took alook at my mod\scorm\locallib.php and those couple of lines of were not commented out.. and i'm still faced with the issue. 

Could it be that fact that i'm running MSSQL instead of MYSQL?

Thanks,
  Tony

by Richard dos Santos -
Has anyone had any success in getting SCORM activities to feature in the Gradebook recently?
Even a work around would really help me at this stage, as I really just need to demo the ability that Moodle can report on a range of activities and summate those activities to provide a course total.

Any ideas?

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hey Everybody,

I'm in the same situation as you guys... i've been tackling this issue for sometime now.. without any sucess. 

Any information on how to resolve this issue would be really apperciated!

Thanks,
  Tony

In reply to Tony Spedaliere

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Tony,

Has this been an issue in only v1.9 or in 1.8 as well? I have a sample SCORM package that I've used previously that has somehow recorded marks in the gradebook, but now that I've updated to 1.9 I cannot make the marks go into the gradebook...

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Mark,

This issue has only been with 1.8.   I'm actually looking at upgrading to 1.9 later today... I was hoping that it would solve this issue...

How were you able to get it to store the grades in 1.8?

Thanks,
  Tony

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Tony,

I wish I knew! I have taken a screenshot to prove (mainly to myself) that I'm not making it up, but for the life of me I can't reproduce how I did it! Still trying with no luck in 1.9 and now frantically looking for a work-around. Wondering if it is going to have to be a direct query to the database, as the results are accessible using the 'SCORM report', just not the gradebook.

Bizarre...

by Tony Spedaliere -
Hi Mark,
I upgraded to Moodle 1.9 yesterday afternoon and i'm still getting this issue!! angry

How did you see the SCORM Report? You were able to see your grade results from the report?

Thanks,
Tony

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Tony,

Can see results, just not from within Gradebook!

Browse to the SCORM package within the course while logged in as a teacher, click on the 'view reports for x attempts' link on the top RHS and this will give you a view of the attempts, scores and the ability to drill down into the individual attempts.

The problem is that this information isn't being sent to the gradebook - this is the only place I can find to view it.

If I get some free time over the weekend I will be attempting to get a version of Moodle running at home and will try writing a db query to extract this information so that at least I can track how my students are going in their SCORM packages somehow - amazingly frustrating knowing that the information is sitting in Moodle but not being accessible in a nice way...

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Mark,

One of the test i was playing with is showing the score that i got..  but i must have changed something because now i get nothing...  i guess for the time being... i can use the report to the score... if i can get it fixed!

If there is anything that i can help you with for the the query to the database.. just let me know.

Thanks,
   Tony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Mark,

What Database are you using on the backend... MYSQL or MSSQL?

Thanks,
  Tony

by Mark Drechsler -
Tony,

Next instalment in the saga.

Over the weekend I thought I'd get serious about this, so I set up a local version of Moodle on Jeos Ubuntu/VMWare to do some detective work. I now have a version 1.7 image of Moodle running with MySQL as the back end and - guess what - the SCORM stuff goes into the gradebook perfectly. Counts up the number of pages in the SCORM package, sets this as the maximum mark, reports the number of pages completed as the score - just like I thought it should.

My next challenge will be to work out if there is to upgrade to 1.8, see what happens, upgrade to 1.9, see what happens, write a query to at least extract the SCORM results from the SCORM tables (was something like mdl_SCORM_scoes from memory) and check the commented out code (if it exists) to see if this has anything to do with it. I'll post my results here in the next couple of days (i.e. as soon as I get some time after dark to have a play with it).

At least I can say that v1.7, running on LAMP, definitely does treat SCORM packages accordingly, so I am not completely sunk in recommending Moodle in the commercial world, I just need to make sure that they are running an older version.

I should also say that setting up the Ubuntu LAMP environment was easy - even helped erase some of the bad memories of using Unix in Comp Sci at Uni way back in '93...

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Mark,

That's great that it works in 1.7!  My only issue is that i was on 1.8 and upgraded to 1.9.. in hopes of solving this.  Now i got to go back 2 versions!!  

Please keep me posted!

Thanks,
    Tony

by mary sams -

Hi Mark (and others who have been working on this same issue),

I was wondering whether you have been able to make any progress with the SCORM tracking issue in Moodle 1.9? Our organisation uses SCORM extensively to develop our e-learning courses, and one of the main reasons for this is because of the ability to track how much of an individual topic each user accesses.

We will really struggle without this functionality and I'm not sure what it will mean for us in terms of course structure and choice of Moodle version if a solution to this problem cannot be found. I'm sure you are all equally as puzzled by the whole situation.

Thanks and best wishes,
Mary Sams

In reply to mary sams

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Mary,

Good news and bad news for you.

The bad news is that I still have no first-hand idea why the SCORM/gradebook issue is occurring - haven't had time lately to dig further into it.

The good news is that I have it on good authority from an official Moodle partner that they have v1.8 up and running with SCORM packages in it and that the results are being transferred to the Gradebook.

Now that you've given me a gentle nudge I'll renew my efforts to find out what the story is and what the 'magic potion' is to make it all work.

Cheers,

Mark.

PS As for v1.9 - don't hold your breath.

by mary sams -

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. It's great to hear that 1.8, at least, will work with scorm tracking. I don't suppose the Moodle partner you spoke with divulged how they had got this to work???

Thanks again,
Mary

by Ben Miller -
Hi Mark,

Just wondering if you have gotten any more time to look into making this work in v1.8?

Thanks for all your efforts,

Ben
In reply to Ben Miller

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Ben,

I've got a 'good news/bad news' response for you on this one.

The good news is that SCORM can be tracked properly in v1.8 at the very least (and by the sounds of it in v1.9 as well) - I have seen with my own eyes an implementation done by a Moodle partner where content from a 'proper' content development company was distributed as SCORM and tracked correctly using IE6.

However, the bad news is that I have *no idea* what caused my home-spun content not to work and the content developed by the vendor to work a treat. I think it may be a case of 'if you really know what you're doing when developing content then it will work, otherwise it might not'. Also sounds like there are still some Firefox vs IE issues as well.

I'll ask super nicely to the people involved and see if I can get them to post here on what the 'magic formula' is!

Cheers,

Mark.

by Enosha Hettiarachchi -
Dear Mark,

I am also facing the same problem you mentioned above. Hope you were able to find a solution for this. If so can you pls let me know who to solve the above problem as i am in desperate need of help.

Thank you
Enosha

In reply to Enosha Hettiarachchi

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Enosha,

This is currently being worked on - check out http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13431 for progress. I know Piers is keen to get some people to help out on testing the functionality of the updates, so if you are willing to try out some new code then maybe let Piers know at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=103098 - all help is welcome, and at the end of the process we'll hopefully have a resolution to the SCORM problems that we've all been facing!

Kind regards,

Mark

by Richard dos Santos -
Mark,

Have you had any leads on this topic? I am busy with a client at the moment that really needs this integration to be resolved. As such I will be getting a developer to look into this and attempt to resolve it or create a work around.
If anyone can suggest a good place to start looking and save him some investigation time Im sure it will go a long way to getting a speedy resolution.

I will post results of his findings
In reply to Richard dos Santos

by Piers Harding -
Hi - This is my next task to work on - I could do with the simplest scenario (preferably accompanied by a SCORM package) to test an example of this problem - forinstance, I have allready noted that the behaviour changes depending on the grading settings for each package.

Hope to have something more useful to report about this in the next few days.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.
In reply to Piers Harding

by Pedro Guevara -
Hi Piers:

I have several SCORM activities (created using eXe) that worked OK on older moodle versions (I believe it was 1.6)
Now the SCORM presentations are not working . Moodle does not record any part of the activities as "completed", only as "suspended" even if you finish the full SCORM activity.

Do you have any Idea about what is happening?
Is it Moodle 1.9 or eXe?

On Moodle 1.8 I have the same problem with the suspended and completed status, but at least, on the grades secrion, moodle counted each completed section of the SCOMR atvivity.
On Moodle 1.9 the grade section does not know about the completion of the sections

by Brian Schmidt -
I'm guessing the reason the SCORM packages are not sending information to the gradebook in 1.9 is that the gradebook was completely rewritten (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Release_Notes#Moodle_1.9_Beta) and that there are quite a few issues right now with SCORM, which are piling up, as there is nobody to maintain/upgrade it (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=83846). Most of the bugs in SCORM have not been touched in quite a number of months, unfortunately.

SCORM functionality in Moodle was actually one of the main reasons we chose Moodle a few years ago over some of the other open source projects out there at the time. I very much hope that this gets resolved sooner rather than later as the move to 1.9 and the rewrite of the gradebook will pretty much stop a lot of people in their tracks from upgrading.
In reply to Brian Schmidt

by Les Amidon -

Brian,

I fully echo your comments. SCORM support was the main reason we chose moodle over Sakai in August of 2006.  If this issue is not resolved very soon, we will have to look for a replacement for our organization.

In reply to Brian Schmidt

by Lionel Redelinghuys -
So, what is the use of a gradebook if it doesn't work? It's like a lamp without a bulb. No use, just an onrament.

We havbe a majour issue because of this fatal flaw. We are trying to kick off our newly found e-learning institution and MUST have the gradebook working. We already provide online training to several of South Africa's largest companies such as banks and they require the gradebook to work.

It would be a blessing if this could be fixed in a fashionable time.

Thanls to everyone putting in hard work and effort. I hope you succeed.

by David Tierney -
I ran into the same problem with a quiz made in Adobe Captivate, exported as SCORM, runs fine. If the student runs the quiz in a Firefox browser, the score is entered, but wrong (i.e. 4 of 10 points 40% when they actually got 8 out of 10 correct). However if they take the quiz using IE7 as their browser, the scoring works correctly.
In reply to David Tierney

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Guys,

I've just migrated over from the Flash Activity Module forum in the hope of using SCORM with Flash CS3 (Actionscript 3.0). I'm running Moodle 1.8 and so far it's been pretty smooth sailing.

Your erratic scoring in Firefox is probably due to the HTML page that Adobe Captivate creates for you when you publish. It's quite a chunky bit of Javascript that handles the communication from the Captivate SWFs. If you check out the related Adobe docs, it states that this code doesn't work with Firefox, so I think your problem might be there.

If this is the case and you find the solution, please post it here. This would stop us from having to politely ask students to go back to using IE7 with all it's nasty little idiosyncrasies.

Good luck!

Matt

by Jay S -

FIXED?

I'm working with a Moodle 1.9 + (Build: 20080409). It's on a LAMP server.

I used the zip from the following file:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13683

The grades were stored displayed in the scorm (mod/scorm/report.php) and in the Gradebook.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ebenezer Le Page -
being very new to moodle we loaded 1.9 onto Lamp server a couple of weeks ago and can see our SCORM 1.2 courses recording the score and suspenddata in an individual record but when i go to gradebook i just see "0" rather than the  percentage actually recored for the SCO.  assumed i has not configured gradebook correctly but got frustrated and found this thread.  am now really worried that mine is the same issue as reported here (althugh do not have a 1.8 or earlier site to benchmark my experience).  so assume this is unresolved today and not related to the package used ot create the course.  but is this also a browser display issue (am using IE)?

by John Macklin -
Just a bit of information here for those whom are interested in getting the Scorm 1.2 working with Moodle 1.9.x . If you are having problems with the gradebook not bringing over those SCORM scores then take a look at your mod/scorm/lib.php file in particular the function scorm_update_instance($scorm) which actually updates the 1.9.x gradebook via a call to function scorm_grade_item_update which actually then makes a call to the grade_update function located in moodle/lib/gradelib.php.

The actual issue I have seen here is in mod/scorm/lib.php around line #494:
/**
* Update/create grade item for given scorm
* @param object $scorm object with extra cmidnumber
* @param mixed optional array/object of grade(s); 'reset' means reset grades in gradebook
* @return object grade_item
*/
function scorm_grade_item_update($scorm, $grades=NULL) {
global $CFG;
if (!function_exists('grade_update')) { //workaround for buggy PHP versions
require_once($CFG->libdir.'/gradelib.php');
}

$params = array('itemname'=>$scorm->name); // $params = array('itemname'=>$scorm->name, 'idnumber'=>$scorm->cmidnumber);

The $params array can case issues with scorm when trying to include cmidnumber. Simply in 1.9.1+ I had to remove this to allow the function to complete without errors. The grade_update('mod/scorm', $scorm->course, 'mod', 'scorm', $scorm->id, 0, $grades, $params) function will then execute and write those grade entries in the grade_grades table. Make sure that your grade items settings are not locked as well. These can be accessed from within your course -> grades -> edit ->Categories and Items

When setting up Scorm I like to use Categorie Aggregation "Simple Weighted Mean of Grades" with my scorm Grading Method set to Learning Objects.
In reply to John Macklin

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi John,

thanks for the info - as you should know - all patches like this should be attached to Tracker items - can you please make sure you add this to a bug in the tracker?

MDL-13431 might a good place to start (we haven't looked at it yet)

thanks,

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Macklin -
Dan,

Thanks!!!! I have just finished working with a client whom had issues with Scorm in 1.9 and I simply know from experience how troublesome it can be. We can only do our best in helping people as I have recently spent a good 15 hours making this work for a client. Still I feel is a relatively small investment considering how fantastic SCORM can be when working. I am very much new to SCORM but can attest one can make it work in 1.9 with the right tweaks.

I will try to contribute what I can when I hash over the copy of the SCORM 1.2 module I have made from the last successful 1.9 install. I want to actually install it again in a clean copy of 1.9.2+ to make sure I can reproduce the problem.
In reply to John Macklin

by Piers Harding -
Hi -

Yes - this could cause a problem if the value is not set - and there are some situations where it isn't (not all). Can you give me a specific testing scenario for this condition - a simple test package, Moodle config for package, and steps to reproduce would be appreciated.

(Edit: this should have attached to John Macklin 's posting - not sure why it didn't).

Thanks,
Piers Harding.

by Piers Harding -
This is a general broadcast on the Grade Book problems experienced:

I've spent quite a lot of time (re)reading this forum, testing, and debugging the grade book interface. It is clear to me now that it does work, but the conditions to make it work are not necessarily what was/is expected.
For instance - if I force a "cmi.core.lesson_status" = completed or passed with a "cmi.core.score.raw" value set, with Moodle grading method set at "Highest Grade" and a "Maximum Grade" value - then the scores reliably flow through (this is tested with 1.9 CVS). But, this is obviously only one variation.

What I need to really make progress on this is to get a set of testing scenarios representing what you all are experiencing.

So - can you all give me a specific testing scenario for your problem experienced (I would think that there are atleast half a dozen) - this would consist of a simple test package, Moodle config used for that package, and steps to reproduce what you see. Screen dumps, or saved webpages are a good idea.

This would be much appreciated, and will probably make all the difference in getting a satisfactory resolution to this problem.

Thanks,
Piers Harding.

by Joseph Caplan -

Thank yu all for looking at this.  I have the latest 1.9.2+ version and I am using SCORM 2004 (have not tried SCORM 1.2 yet).  No gradebook results.

My first question is about testing my SCORM package.  I am logged in as Administrator.  I ran the course, took the quiz and it finished.  But nothing in scorebook.  If I go back to that course module and re-take the course, it jumps to my last page, it is complete.  How to do reset the course so that it can be taken again?

I am using Adobe Captivate or Adobe Presenter (most current versions).

Thanks

In reply to Joseph Caplan

by Piers Harding -
Have you enrolled your testing user into the course?

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

Dear Piers,

I have developed a small SCORM package which transfer the score to the grade book correctly. The setting I have used is

Grading method : Highest grade
Maximum grade : 100%
Number of attempts : 3
Attempts grading : Highest attempt

but the problem is it goes exceeding the 3 attempts and the marks displayed from last attempt and not from the highest attempt.

Is there anyway to resolve this problem?

Thank you
Enosha

by Piers Harding -
Hi Enosha - I have tested your package, and I can get it to work correctly in Moodle 1.9 with some patches that John M has supplied. I will be committing these changes shortly, and getting people to test.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

by John Macklin -
All,

A few more ideas here concerning code ... It would really be interesting to see what value for $whatgrade is getting used in mod/scorm/locallib.php
(around line 382 especially in Enosha's case):

function scorm_grade_user($scorm, $userid, $time=false) {
$whatgrade = intval($scorm->grademethod / 10);

I am suspect of $whatgrade which may not be getting set to
HIGHESTATTEMPT which is defined as define('HIGHESTATTEMPT', '0');

The previous function is called by mod/scorm/lib.php (Line 413)
function scorm_get_user_grades($scorm, $userid=0) {

It is a good idea to verify the operation of attemptleft which is
calculated by function scorm_get_toc defined in
mod/scorm/datamodels/scorm_12lib.php (for SCORM 1.2)

I also had a thought to add this revision to mod/scorm/locallib.php
after more testing:

// called by mod/scorm/lib.php function scorm_get_user_grades($scorm, $userid=0) Line 413

function scorm_grade_user($scorm, $userid, $time=false) {

$whatgrade = intval($scorm->grademethod / 10);

$lastattempt = scorm_get_last_attempt($scorm->id, $userid);

if($lastattempt >= $scorm->maxattempt){ // insure we dont grade user beyond $scorm->maxattempt settings
$lastattempt = $scorm->maxattempt;
}

switch ($whatgrade) {

I have not messed with last attempt checking yet in 1.9.x to see how it will
behave but should work in theroy. Hope this helps with SCORM
issues I would love to work more on this as issues are discovered.

John M

In reply to John Macklin

Dear John M,

Thanks a lot for helping me. I used the locallib.php file and now the highest attempt is counted as well as all the attempts are shown (in my case I used 3 attempts and all 3 attempts are shown)

for each new attempt till then end of 3 attempts the following message is shown along with the check box
Start a new attempt

But after the 3 attempt the check box is not available but still the "enter" button is visible. Is there a possibility to disable that as well after the certain no of attempts are over so that the students can not access the course anymore?

Best Regards
Enosha

by Piers Harding -
Hi Enosha - did you patch your existing Moodle with the differences in Johns locallib.php attachement? I hope so, as there are a quite a few differences between that and what is in the current stable branches.

When you have exceeded the 3 attempts, does the scorm activity go into review mode for you ?

I has done this in my testing.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

Dear Piers,

Yes I patched the moodle with the johns locallib.php and everything is working just fine . big grin

After the 3 attempts it again comes to the normally screen with the enter button, but it lets you complete the uncompleted attempts before.

In my case it lets me do the last attempt again and it also changed the score as well.

Best Regards
Enosha

Dear Piers,

A big thanks to John and You.

Yes, after the 3 attempts are over it goes to review mode, but the thing is when we access the scorm module again in the review mode it affects the score of the graded attempts. (it changes the score of the last attempt)

therefore for my case i think its better to disable the enter button after 3 attempts.

Even though we disable the enter button students can go to the review mode by clicking the scorm module. Is there a possibility to disable the scorm module and enter button when the students try to access it after 3 attempts. we can give a popup message saying "the number of attempts are over" or something.

Hope this too can be solved smile

Best Regrds
Enosha

by Piers Harding -
Hi Enosha - I think what you are asking for is a change in the expected behaviour, so I do not see this as a problem that needs to be resolved. If you look at how all attempts work, a user has the capability to go back and repeat the experience multiple times before deciding to register another separate attempt. So as such, I am not planning to make this change to core mod/scorm at this stage.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.
In reply to John Macklin

by Piers Harding -
Hi - thanks for this.

I have incorporated some of the changes from your last patchset, which are now available in stable (posted about this earlier).

I note this line:
if($lastattempt >= $scorm->maxattempt){ // insure we dont grade user beyond

It is quite legitimate to have maxattempt equal 0 for unlimited attempts so you would need to add in this exception - otherwise no grading would occur.

All your comments and bug fix suggestions are really valuable - it would be great if you put this stuff on the Tracker -> http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16111.

Thanks,
Piers Harding.
In reply to John Macklin

by Piers Harding -
More patching done to HEAD, and STABLE for the maxattempts.

John - I've looked into the question of $whatgrade, and found that because the whatgrade field was not created in the database, the grademethod was used for dual purpose - the 10s represent whatgrade, and the units represent grademethod - this is why you can see reference to /10 and % 10. I have done quite a lot of testing of this, and I'm convinced that it works, albeit a bit unorthodox.

Also - now we have debugging for the SCORM API, it is now much easier to find breakdowns in what the SCORM packages are doing. As it stands, Moodle mod/scorm requires that a SCORM package issues a lesson_status and a score.raw or it will not be graded - this is true no matter what type of grading is configured.

see: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=103921 about debugging.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

by John Macklin -
Pierce and Enosha,

Yes! I agree with that on the issue of handling the unlimited attempts here. I have been working some this evening with SCORM 1.2 within Moodle 1.9.1+ (Build: 20080521). I have tried a few approaches and feel that the most recent version of mod/scorm/locallib.php is where it is as I am yet to find any issues. On the suggestion of Enosha I coded out the "enter" button being visable upon completion of the last allowed attempt. Also I verifed the operation of Review Mode when a student has completed Number of attempt. Scorm Activity review mode does work correctly.

For the most part I am personally interested in the Grading methods and attempts. $whatgrade does work I am really impressed because this method of flagging comes from quite a way back in development. Simply it works so that is good!

C Style I love..

On the debugging for the SCORM API I have not yet loaded it but am looking forward to using that I think will really help being able to see that information.

I will commit this to MDL-1611 soon as I can. Thanks for the input and suggestions I cannot know everything for sure.

Attached is the most recent version of mod/scorm/locallib.php and mod/scorm/lib.php that I have been using to test and verify features with.

Additions begin mod/scorm/locallib.php on Line 599:
// Disable form submit after max allowed attempts reached Thursday, August 21, 2008, 05:40 AM
if (($incomplete === false) && (($result->attemptleft > 0)||($scorm->maxattempt == 0))) {
?>
<br />
<input type="checkbox" id="a" name="newattempt" />
<label for="a"><?php print_string('newattempt','scorm') ?></label>
<br />
<input type="hidden" name="scoid"/>
<input type="hidden" name="currentorg" value="<?php echo $orgidentifier ?>" />
<input type="submit" value="<?php print_string('enter','scorm') ?>" />
<?php
}

Thanks for the feedback....
In reply to John Macklin

by Piers Harding -
Hi John - I'm glade that grading is working for you again smile

With respect to the disabling the enter button once maxattempts has been reached - I don't think that this is necessarily the desired behaviour.
What currently happens is that when max attempts is reached, then you can not create any new attempts, but you can go back to and complete the existing final attempt - this ability, I would have thought was desirable.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I would like to point out that by the SCORM definition, the lesson_mode was designed to inform a SCO of how a student would like to interact with a SCO and not to control the LMS (Moodle). 

As of SCORM 1.2 the lesson_mode has 3 values:

• browse - The student wants to preview the materials, but not necessarily challenge the SCO for a grade
  • normal - This indicates that the SCO should behave as designed for a student wanting to get credit for his learning
  • review - The student has already seen the material at least once and been graded

By these definitions it is up to the SCO to decide what to report to the LMS.  So if you do not want a score to be reported during review mode, then the SCO should check the lesson_mode and determine if the score should be sent or not. 

By removing the ability of launching a course when the maximum number of attempts is reached you effectively block a student from using the course as a reference once their attempts are exhausted.

Ron

In reply to Ron Meske

by Piers Harding -
Yes - another important point.

Cheers.

Svar: Re: SCORM Activity and Gradebook Communication

by Bent Nikolaisen -
Hmmm...I have been following this thread, and doing some suggested patching without any luck. Fiddling around with the general gradingmethod gave me the results I wanted. Switching to lettergrades suddenly made quizzes (made in wondershare quizcreator) report grades and percentages into the gradebook instead of just the percentages. Why? - No idea. I leave that up to the gurus. But until the scorm-module is cleaned up this will do for me.

by Piers Harding -
I have applied some patches to STABLE_19 and HEAD kindly supplied by John Macklin -> http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16111. Please test these as I believe that they do solve some grae book problems.
Cheers,
Piers Harding.

by site tester -

Hi ! everyone

I had faced the same grade book problem. I had gone through the entire discussion and also cheked for the changes that john had specified to be made in the lib.php and locallib.php , All those changes were already present in my moodle version which is 1.9.3.

I had created a SCORM package with a quiz , with number of attempts 3 and passing score to be 75%.

While testing the quiz I had scored a 43% ,but my gradebook still reflects  it to be 100%. I have never tried using a SCORM before , Can anybody please help me out to resolve the problem.

I had also used the debugging mode and checked for the activity log

None

SCORM API Activity Log

Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:47:59 GMT: Moodle SCORM 1.2 API Loaded, Activity: testscorm, SCO: Item
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:48:03 GMT: LMSInitialize("", "") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:48:03 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status") - completed => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:48:03 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.suspend_data") - $3:C => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:48:04 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.core.lesson_location") - => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:08 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.score.raw", "13") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:08 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.score.max", "30") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:08 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.score.min", "0") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:09 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.suspend_data") - $3:C => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.suspend_data") - $3:C => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: LMSGetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status") - completed => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status", "completed") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.exit", "logout") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: LMSSetValue("cmi.core.session_time", "00:01:09.17") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:12 GMT: Commit("", "") => 0
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 05:49:13 GMT: LMSFinish("", "") => 0
the lesson_status and score.raw are both set appropriately ,still my score is not reflected to the grade book.
I do not know if this prblem has been resolved .I could not find any proceeding discussions for the same .
Could anybody please specify any other alternative that can be done to make this work as it is required imideatly..
thanking in advance.  Also what settiungs are to be done while creating a scorm package. I have used Elicitus to create a scorm
In reply to site tester

by Amy Groshek -
Assuming you're using a recent version of Moodle, take a look at your Grading method setting. http://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#SCORM_and_the_Gradebook
In reply to Amy Groshek

by site tester -

Hi Amy !

I have made the following changes to the scorm settings

Grading method : Highest grade

Maximum grade : XX (the score for the quiz)

Number of attempts : 1

Also in the grade book settings ,

i have added the Grade to pass as the passing score for my quiz.

Now the grades are reflected back to the grade book,

but if I select the mode to be preview mode and access the quiz the scores are overwritten .

Can you help me with this. I do not want to disable the preview mode but the scores in preview mode should not be overwritten back to the grade book.

Can you please tell me the working of a SCORM quiz in preview mode.

Also a way in which I can disable the review mode as user can review his max score or last attempt any number of times.

I do not know the actual working but this is what I have noticed in my LMS.

Thanks a lot !! smile

In reply to site tester

by Amy Groshek -
Handling of preview mode is up to the content, not to Moodle. Most software-generated SCORM content doesn't deal with it intelligently. You might want to take a look at this post: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=150969#p660385

From Piers Harding:
Preview mode is only a signal to the SCORM content developer for them to change hows the package behaves. If the content developer chooses to ignore this indicator, then there is nothing stopping them from utilising the full SCORM API, and generating any (legal) tracking data. However, the idea is that the content developers should take the hint, and operate the package in a browse only mode, until it is restarted.