Linking to FLV video files

Linking to FLV video files

by Daniel Fyles -
Number of replies: 23
I have some flv videos I would like to add to a moodle course. I read that it is possible to click add a resource > link to a file or web site > upload and link to a flv file, then this should be embedded within a moodle page. But when I do this unfortunately the file just tries to download, within IE and FF. Has anyone any advice for me on this? I have enabled the multimedia filter and flv is enabled.

NB: If I add a web page as a resource, make a link to a video I previously uploaded then this does work - the video plays within the Jeroen Wijering flash player. But this is too complex for the teachers I am working with.

I have been searching for a solution to this throughout the morning but can't see one.

Thanks very much

Dan Fyles
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Fyles

Re: Linking to FLV video files

by Rob Johnson -
It will only work if you link to the flv within a label, web page, assignment, or forum post as far as I know.
In reply to Daniel Fyles

by Matt Campbell -
It's a bit rough on the audio - I don't usually make the videos around here but I had to make one real quick on exactly this issue for some of my instructors - they seem to like it fairly well and I've got a number using it now that I've shown them. Take a look at this and see what you think.

Adding .flv video to Moodle

(I know, Helen - completely unacceptable if it was for GHOP!)

Thanks,
Matt
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for posting your tutorial here. This will save me a lot of time, since there is no need to convert .flv videos into .swf files.

The hint about removing the link text is great as this works with other file formats, such as .mp3, too.

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Ruda

by Matt Campbell -
I've done the same trick with mp3s and that works just fine, also. I tend to use it when I want to display the actual content in the current context, and not a link to it.

Thanks,
Matt

by John Coutts -
I've done all of that, and it still doesn't play. It simply sits there and displays an empty page, even after it has downloaded the entire video. It doesn't ask to save it...it just sits there.

Any ideas?
In reply to John Coutts

by Matt Campbell -
I would check your filters and make sure that you've enabled .flv files. If that doesn't help, could you make an account and give it access to the course you're working on, and post the username and password here? You could start with just student access, and may need to bump it up to teacher after we've looked at it.

Thanks,
Matt

by John Coutts -
We're just in the process of setting up and I'm trying to put up some demo's for the other teachers...but here's the link anyway. The .flv filter is enabled but the .swf is still disabled.

Course access
The embeded .flv from our site. This is the bit I can't get to work. Embedding from youtube etc is fine.

I've given teacher access. You'll need to login twice; access to the internet is restricted until we've finished developing the courses. So when the prompt for access to the server occurs, you'll need to put the following user/pass, and you'll need to login to moodle using the same user/pass.

user: moodleguest
pass: oogabooga
In reply to John Coutts

by Matt Campbell -
Jumped in for a bit yesterday and noticed that you had .swf disabled, but the link was referencing a .swf along with the .flv file.

Thanks,
Matt

by Andrea Kalli -

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The video tutorial was a great help. I've made a shortcut to it on my desktop to keep it handy!

Andrea

by Darryl Matthews -
Outstanding tutorial Matt and was just what the doctor ordered for an online video I attached to a course I'm teaching. I had to search a little bit to find the filter settings but I found them and turned on the setting for Multimedia plug-ins. Your tutorial was a great demo for Jing as well. I have downloaded it but not put it into action as of yet. Thanks a bunch.

Darryl
Tampa, FL

by Doug Bell -
Hello,

I am just starting with moodle and was wondering about this flv file. We have a course that will have 100's of flv videos. We are concerned about using a regular player because if you can go to tools > source and see the location of the files. It looks like by using this method you are using a built in player in moodle and it does not look like this tools > source is an issue.

Am I looking at this correct? This would solve that problem?

Thanks

Doug
In reply to Doug Bell

by E. L. Cooper -
There are players in moodle from 1.9 forward but you will need to turn the filters on to use them.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Doug Bell -

Will they allow me to make it so they do not see the URL and can not right click and download the video they are watching?

Thanks

Doug

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Doug Bell -

Hello,

I just went to your site e-blackboard. There is a video on the home page. I can not save it nor see the url. How did you do it, what player etc. so this is the case?

This is what i was looking at doing but was concerend about it.

Thanks

Doug

In reply to Doug Bell

by E. L. Cooper -

That is actually an embedded file from blip.tv and there are about a dozen moodle tutorials on my site that I did that way but regarding your question about a student right clicking for the URL yes they can and in spite of what anyone tells you there is no such thing as a file that will play, stream or download that can not be snagged by a computer literate person who wants it. Screen recording utilities are readily available to anyone just like a video recorder in your home. You can't even cry foul unless they redistribute your content.  Re distribution of the file is a copyright infringement.

I always figure the value of a class is not in the individual files but the knowledge and certification that the class offers.  Of course I license most of my work under creative commons as my personal goal with most of the video's is to spread the knowledge not own my content for commercial reasons.

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Doug Bell -

Hello,

I understand about scree ncapture software and just plain old fashioned putting a video camera up to the screen. What i am concerend about is putting some road blocks up, like no right click ability, not beign able to see the URL in tools > source in IE. It seems as though your videos would be harder to capture, not impossible, but harder. I could not right click on yours, and was wondering how. This is actually linked to blip.tv?

In reply to Doug Bell

by E. L. Cooper -
It is embedded with their code just like you embed a a utube video. The videos you see are my public video's but schools and teachers often buy a private a blip account, ($9 a month) privatize videos and embed those. You'll see a few video's on that process at my site.
In reply to Daniel Fyles

by ian lake -

you could of course use this link http://www.media-convert.com and convert the files to a more convenient format.

ian

In reply to ian lake

by Steve Wilson -
There are more online converters you could use that are capable of high quality flash flv swf conversion.

http://www.zamzar.com/ are currently in beta and the service is free at the moment - ZamZar is probably the best as it doesn't just convert video files, it converts a large amount of documents, zip / compressed archives , music, images and video. ZamZar for videos alone can convert all of the follwoing : -
3gp, 3g2, avi, flv, gvi, iphone, ipod, m4v, mov, mp4, mpg, ogg, rm, rmvb ,vob ,wmv

which is a most impressive array of possible video conversions. The good thing about these converters is that they work well using url links to the files you want to convert - this means no upload waiting times smile

Also another good free converter is
http://vixy.net/ however this is a lot more limited an can only covert video files, here's the file types it can convert : -
AVI for Windows (DivX + MP3)
MOV for Mac (MPEG4 + MP3)
MP4 for iPod/PSP (MPEG4 + AAC)
3GP for Mobile (MPEG4 + AAC)
MP3 (audio only)

I use ZamZar to convert most problematic files for compatibility on my moodles (i.e. hyro Supplies)
and my other websites.

SW

In reply to Steve Wilson

回复: Re: Linking to FLV video files

by Claire Fu -

Hi,

I know another tool named WebVideo Author which could convert .flv file to Flash file with SCORM compliance. And then you could upload the SCORM package to Moodle easily.

Hope it helps!

Claire

In reply to Claire Fu

Re: 回复: Re: Linking to FLV video files

by Saurabh Gupta -

Thank you so much Matt,

Your tutorial helped me a lot. Further, the video display size can be increased if you add:

..... .flv?d=950x595"></a>

Thanks,
Saurabh