Do not show courses student is not enrolled in?

Do not show courses student is not enrolled in?

by Mitchell Holding -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

When a student logs into moodle they get a list of courses. I want to change it so that only the courses in which they enrol in are displayed.

Any suggestions on how do I go about doing this?

Regards
Mitch

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitchell Holding

Re: Do not show courses student is not enrolled in?

by karim faid -
You can do that by using hidden categories, which prohibit users from seeing anything other than what they are enrolled in.
Just hide your categories, and then go to Administration->Front Page->Front Page Settings, and check the box to allow visible courses in hidden categories, at the very bottom of the page.
Karim

In reply to karim faid

by Mark Drechsler -
This works well when there you use the course view rather than the categories or combo view, but is there a way of using course/combo view that only lists the category and course if a student is enrolled within a course in the category?

It seems the two options are:

1. Use hidden categories, then show courses within that - works in course view but not category/combo view, or
2. Unhide categories, use course/combo view and then have everything show for everyone.

Anyone know of a solution?
In reply to karim faid

by Jonathan Drury -
This does not seem to work in the presence of subcategories. That is, if category B is a subcategory of category A, then the only way to show a course in category B is to have both A and B visible. If either is invisible the course does not seem to show up. I am using 1.8.4.

Suggestions?

thx - jd
In reply to Jonathan Drury

by Matt Campbell -
Hmmm. Please check to make sure you have 'allow visible courses in hidden categories' set in you front page settings, as mentioned above.

You may also want to make sure the courses are visible - I believe that if you have courses in a category, and you hide the category, then the courses will becime hidden and you'll need to set t
em to visible again.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Jonathan Drury -
Thanks for the reply. Checked and double-checked. 'allow visible ...' is set. The courses are set to visible. They do not seem to show up if they are the third level down. Note that the 'allow visible' trick seems to work if there is only one level of category above the course. Any other suggestions?
In reply to karim faid

by Scot Wilcoxon -
But hiding a category also blocks students from using the courses in the category. Hiding affects access, not only visibility.
In reply to Scot Wilcoxon

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not if you turn "Allow viable courses in hidden categories" on in Administration >Front Page >Front Page settings

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Tiffany Morgan -
It appears I am missing a step with this process. I have
1) two categories: one visible, one hidden
2) two courses within each category-all visible
3) a user assigned the role of student within one of the course located in the hidden category
4) Front page set to show list of course and Allow visible courses in hidden categories.
5) MyMoodle set to default at login

When the student logs in they do not see any of the courses to which they have been enrolled. They only see the category and the course which is visible.

Am I missing a step or permission?

Thanks!