Upgrade to NWiki FAILS

Upgrade to NWiki FAILS

by Lamar James -
Number of replies: 24
Ludo,

We have just attempted to upgrade from the standard wiki to NWiki on Moodle 1.8, but none of the existing pages migrated to the new wiki.

After hearing from other users here that the migration code is buggy and does not migrate the data as of version NWiki2.0_Moodle1.8_rev2007112201.zip, I've asked you Where's the recent version of NWiki? You've said that to the best of your knowledge NWiki2.0_Moodle1.8_rev2007112201.zip does work.

Well, it does NOT. We have spent over 4 hours shutting down our system. We've backed up all the files and db tables, upgraded, saw that the data did not migrate, and then restored back the old files and db tables.

You would probably understand the inevitable frustration when you trust something to work, inquire the best you can, receiving reassurances that it's going to work, and then realize that you've wasted your time.

I suggest that instead of rushing to add more features to 1.9, your team should first fix the bugs in 1.8, because while Moodle 1.9 is still months away from being stable, there is no current working version of NWiki that can be used on a currently working version of Moodle.

Thanks for all your hard work on NWiki.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lamar James

Re: Upgrade to NWiki FAILS

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Leroy,
we have released a new version of NWiki
I'm sorry for all the trouble you've gone througth. Please tell us if the current version fixes your problems or otherwise contact with Jordi Piguillem and give him as details as possible. We will give the migration issues the maximum priority.
Ludo

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Roberta Militello -
I have to agree with Leroy's statement that debugging the 1.8 version of Nwiki should probably be made a priority, at least for Moodle users. DFwiki has many short comings and major issues, making it untenable as a collaboration tool. In the bigger picture, the effectiveness of the Nwiki upgrade could make or break acceptance of Moodle, especially where collaboration is a key requirement.

Thanks for the new upload. I would appreciate continued sharing of any details involving the new upgrade. We will definitely let you know how we make out with this new version. Thanks to the developers and testers for all your efforts.

Roberta

In reply to Roberta Militello

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi,
rigth now the priority IS the NWiki migration (under 1.8 or 1.9 (still unreleased)). We NEED as much feedback as possible, so IF ANYBODY ENCOUNTERS PROBLEMS IN THE MIGRATION PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:
  • Report it in a traceable way. For us there is no use saying ... it FAILS. With this information we can only be sorry. We need to know the moodle version, the environment (php version, OS, database) and even better... if you can send us BACKUPS of the courses that failed we can even reproduce the very same conditions.
  • PLEASE REMEMBER TO ERADE THE OLD WIKI FILES before copying the NWiki distribution. And to back up everything, of course. The content migration is a really hard thing to do, specially with so many versions and configuration out there.
And if somebody succeeds please say so. I've got thousands of downloads per bug report, so somebody migth have succeeded.

Cheers
Ludo
ps. please remember that DFWiki is a diferent module from NWiki and that only works in 1.5, installing it in other moodle versions is not recomended

by Marco Rota -

Hi, (and sorry for my english)

I'm trying to migrate my moodle 1.8.3 installation standard wiki to NWiki (NWiki2.0_Moodle1.8_rev2008011501.zip).

That's what I've done on my Linux Fedora Core 7 system:

• Stop mysqld (5.0.37) and httpd processes
  • Remove my moodle/mod/wiki directory
  • Unzip NWiki2.0_Moodle1.8_rev2008011501.zip and replace old directories content with new ones.
  • Start mysqld and httpd processes

Then I login with administrator user and I see this error message: "Error: The code you are using is OLDER than the version that made these databases!" and my site doesn't work. My php version is 5.2.2.

Now I've replaced new moodle/mod/wiki directories with older one and site works (obviously with older wiki).

Can someone help me?

by Stefan Büchler -
I installed NWiki in Moodle 1.8.2 - it worked. Now I upgraded to 1.8.3 and installed the NWiki version from above. It does not work. I get a white page if I go to an existign wiki. Also if I surf to /admin, I get a white page. I restartet apache2, but it doesn't help.
In reply to Stefan Büchler

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thanks Stefan,
we detected a change in the moodle core (removal from a parameter in a functiona and kills nwiki) tomowwrow we ship the bugfix.
L.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Stefan Büchler -

Now I have big problems in my moodle site. I can't insert new activities in my courses. With the help of Mauno Korpelainen we have found the error messages:

Warning: require_once(/var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/wiki/nwikiparser.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 9

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/wiki/nwikiparser.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 9

Either nwikiparser.php is missing or there might be a problem with folder permissions or the file is in a wrong folder...

So maybe NWiki disturbes my site seriously.

Could you work on the bug fix yet or is it better to uninstall NWiki?

by Jordi Piguillem -
Warning: require_once(/var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/wiki/nwikiparser.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/moodlecogitosumnet/mod/wiki/locallib.php on line 9 ????????

Hi Stefan,

this is very weird... Did you check for this file? It must be there if you unziped our wiki correctly.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui
In reply to Jordi Piguillem

by Stefan Büchler -
No, I didn't check before, because I thought of an error in NWiki. Now I checked - an I can't find an error. 
Attachment locallib.gif
In reply to Jordi Piguillem

by Stefan Büchler -

I copied the again the files from NWiki to the mod folder. Actually I had the wiki folder from Nwiki inside the original wiki folder (as suspected by Mauno). Now it should be OK. I could resolve the problem, that I couldn't edit coursce item (Thanks to Mauno!). But there is still one problem: If I edit a nwiki (build with NWiki in Moodle 1.8.2 I get the following error.  

Also the http://myserver/admin page is empty. But this may be another problem...

Attachment Fehler_NWiki.gif

by Stefan Büchler -
Sorry, but I really in a hurry, because I can't work anymore with moodle. I cannot find the bugfix. I looked at www.moodle.org in module (I could not find NWiki there just DFWiki) and at http://morfeo.upc.es/crom/course/view.php?id=4 but I could not find the bugfix or a new release.

by Mauno Korpelainen -
Stefan,

it's nwikiparser.php that is missing, in a wrong folder or does not have correct permissions - not locallib.php. Check if you have folder wiki inside folder wiki - the structure of folders is different in new and old wiki. You could try to delete all files from folder wiki and copy first old wiki from "normal package" found from moodle.org. Or you could delete all files from folder wiki and upload Nwiki again...
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Stefan Büchler -

I justed downloaded the newest version of NWiki (it is the same that I installed). I can't see any difference in the file structure between that installation structure and my  structure on the server

But you're right, nwikiparser is inside another wiki.

Attachment Wiki-Wiki-Ordner2.gif

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Just one note:

the right image has folder structure mod/wiki/wiki/wiki/

(there is one wiki too much...)

...which means that you have unzipped or uploaded main module folder wiki inside old wiki folder when you should have replaced old wiki with new wiki.

In reply to Lamar James

by Dave Emsley -

We want to use wikis to inprove student learning but the standard is not up to the job.

I have just tried to install NWiki and it appears to have been a success however when I create a wiki and try to use it I get the error message: 

"Theres's an error in page location"

Does anyone have any idea what this is caused by?

Thanks

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Dave Emsley -

... alternatively can I delete this module from my system and re-install the original; poor though it was it worked!!angry

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Dave Emsley -
...anyone?
In reply to Dave Emsley

by Gonzalo Serrano -
Hi there,

If you wait a few days there is planned a new NWiki release which should be pretty consistent, maybe your problem is solved with that version.

Bye
In reply to Gonzalo Serrano

by Dave Emsley -

Thanks,  It's good to know developments are ongoing.

I WAS able to remove it very easily and re-install the original version so we can still use the Wiki and we look forward the the improved NWiki to come.

Many thanks

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Doug Holton -
When I installed nwiki existing wiki pages weren't migrated, either.
Also, there is no longer auto-linking support for wiki pages.

Since nwiki overwrites so many internal moodle files, I basically have to delete my whole moodle install and re-install from scratch in order to uninstall nwiki.