Blogs: Feature Request:: Include blogging activity in reports

Blogs: Feature Request:: Include blogging activity in reports

by Doug Holton -
Number of replies: 4
I see that posting to your own blog and viewing other people's blogs are logged, but they are not available in the Reports.

I'm having students use their blogs as a design/reflection journal, and would like to be able to track that more easily.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Holton

Re: Blogs: Feature Request:: Include blogging activity in reports

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Doug,

Including blogging activity in reports sounds like a good thing to do, though I'm not sure whether it's possible. thoughtful

Please add it to the tracker as a feature request, then post the issue number in this discussion for others to vote for/watch/add a comment. (If you've not used the tracker before, please see the tracker documentation.)
In reply to Doug Holton

by Peter Vivian -

We too are having students use their blogs as a reflective journal and would like to be able to track that activity more easily. At the moment, i am having to manually check the students activity and this is a real bind as we have 250 doing it. Consequently, it is done infrequently!

I would also be interested if you identify with our experience with this use of the blog.

We are a School of Art & Design and our students are 1st and 2nd year BA degree students (Photography, Graphic Design, Illustration, Fine Art). This year we introduced the blog for their reflective commentary on their Critical Studies modules (these are common across all the degree programmes, hence the large numbers).

I had anticipated some resistance to this from the students and expected a significant minority to resist, and even refuse to engage wholeheartedly in the process. As it happens, I considerably underestimated that resistance - about 80% of the students have yet to start using their blog and of those that have, only about half are blogging on a regular basis. So, only 10% are engaging in the experience.

In reply to Doug Holton

by Doug Holton -
Thanks, I added this jira issue: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12995

As to getting students to blog, I actually have them blog every week. They get 2 points a week for it. Hence another reason for adding this to the reports. In the meantime I'll have to create my own SQL query to track who has and hasn't blogged each week.