Answers appear as anonymous in Feedback but they weren't

Answers appear as anonymous in Feedback but they weren't

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 19
Hi there,

We are in the process of upgrading to version 1.8.3 and we are experiencing some problems with restoring surveys that had been implemented with the 'feedback' module. The data seem to be there (the number of answers is the same as in the old installation and we've examined the answers and they seem to be the same answers). There is a problem, though. While the answers were given by users in a non-anonymous mode so that we can identify which user gave which answer, when we restore the course in Moodle 1.8.3 (actually also in 1.7, which we used to make the transition smoother) the answers appear as 'anonymous entries'.

This is a serious problem because the survey was conducted by one of our graduate students for her Masters thesis and she needs to identify which users answered each question in a particular way.

Can anybody help, please?

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Answers appear as anonymous in Feedback but they weren't

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Josep - Did you say that you were upgrading feedback from Moodle 1.7 to Moodle 1.8? I would be interested in seeing the Moodle.xml file that is created. In particular I would want to make sure that all of the fields are included in the backup and which version of the feedback module you were using to do that backup. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Anthony,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.
Actually, I've talked to our administrator and it turns out that he did not use restore for the upgrade to the new 1.8.3 installation. What he did was a normal upgrade where he upgraded from version to version directly and all the courses were imported directly through the installation upgrade. I don't know whether I'm expressing myself correctly, but I think you know what I mean. In my previous message I said we had used restore to pass the course materials from one version to the other but this is not so. Is this relevant to solve "the problem"?

(I've responded your IM message via private mail)

Josep M.

by Anthony Borrow -
OK - that is how I would have done it as well. I'm confused about whether the feedback is listed as anonymous or just the feedback_completed (i.e. the responses). You're expressing yourself clearly and well (pero si prefiere en español o una mezcla via correo-e está bien, como quiera). Paz - Antonio

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, I see you speak Spanish smile Since this exchange might be useful for other people, we might continue in English.

Where I see the feedback is listed as anonymous is when I click on the link for the survey from the course's main page and then I click on the 'show responses' tab. Then it says "non-anonymous entries (0)" / "anonymous entries (154)"

Do you see what I mean? In principle, if the feedback survey was set up for non-anonymous responses, why would all the responses be listed as anonymous?

Josep M.

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Josep,

I just have seen this issue too.
The problem is the default value of the new field anonymous_responses in the table feedback_completed.
You can fix this by call the following sql statement:
UPDATE `mdl_feedback_completed` SET anonymous_response = 2 WHERE userid >0
I have to change this in the cvs.

Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas - Great to see your response. Thanks for clarifying, I had forgotten which values of anonymous_response mean what (i.e. anonymous or not anonymous). I would be careful about simply changing the table default. I would think that a better solution would be to make the default value of the anonymous_response field depend on whether the feedback itself is listed as being anonymous or not. If the feedback activity is not anonymous, then assume that all of the responses were not anonymous (during an upgrade). If the feedback activity is anonymous, then the default anonymous_response should be anonymous. Does that make sense? What I would want to avoid is upgrading what was previously an anonymous feedback and having the results appear non-anonymously. I would rather see the case that Josep is experiencing where he has to work and cleaning up the data to make then visible again. Peace - Anthony

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, I see what Anthony says and it might indeed be undesirable that an anonymous feedback turns into a non-anonymous feedback during an upgrade. But you guys should work out a solution that doesn't imply having to "hack" the database after upgrades. Many users might not know how to do the cleaning up and a task that might be simple for you can be daunting for many people who are not used to go "under the hood".

Independently of how this is solved, thanks very much for your prompt responses. I'll try to follow Andreas advice to see whether the problem is solved.

Happy new year!

Josep M.

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Anthony,

you are right. I also think it is not so good to change the default value. What I did mean is I would add the sql update statement into the update.php.
With this the problem should be resolved.

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas - Thank you for clarifying and helping to resolve the upgrade situation so that other users like Josep can avoid having to patch things up. Would it help you to have a tracker issue on this? If so, I'd be happy to create one. Peace - Anthony

by Josep M. Fontana -
Anthony and Andreas,

I'm happy to report that the problem is solved after following Andreas suggestions. Thanks!

Josep M.

by artur santos -
Hello Josep
"Many users might not know how to do the cleaning up and a task that might be simple for you can be daunting for many people who are not used to go "under the hood".

We have just migrated from version 1.7.3 to 1.8.3 and found the same problem in every feedback (total feedbacks: 132). It’s a very big problem for us, because we need to know who answered what. However, we do not have the knowledge to do as you suggest in the database. Could any of you please create a patch to help us solve this problem? Or maybe create a step-by-step guide document?

The whole teaching staff at my school would appreciate.

Thanks in advance
In reply to artur santos

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Artur,

sorry about that.
Can you tell me the exact version of the feedback-module do you use? You will find this in "Site-Administration->Modules->Activities". Have a look at the feedback-line and tell me the version.
Then I can give you a special upgrade to resolve this problem

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas - If you can help Artur that would be great. If not, I was thinking of walking him through installing phpMyAdmin under in /admin/mysql and offering to help walk him through it. Peace - Anthony

by artur santos -
Hello Andreas and Anthony!!
Thanks for your prompt reply.
The feedback version is 2007073101.
I'm so glad you will be able to help me smile
Best regards.
Artur

In reply to artur santos

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Artur,

here the patch. It will increase your feedback-version to 2007073102.
Copy the files into the mod/feedback directory. Do not delete your old feedbackfiles. Do only override the files with the files from the zip-file. Then your moodle will start the upgrade process. After that all should be ok.
Note for other users who want to use this patch: This patch is only for the version 2007073101!

Andreas

by Pedro Crispim -
Andreas:

I applied your patch, but all remained the same:
Image 1

Image 2

Can you please provide me with some help?

Thank you
In reply to Pedro Crispim

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

what version of feedback did you use before you did patch it?

Andreas

by Pedro Crispim -
I had version 2007073101, as you stated in your post.
I tried to go back to that version, but it does not allow me to do so.

Must I do a restore from the old version dump in another moodle instalation and backup each feedback in each course, followed by a restore in the production moodle server?

If so, can I delete the old version and install the newest one available for download or must I use 2007073101?

Thank you so much

by artur santos -
Hi Andreas!

Well! What else can I say!! Thank you very much for your support. The patch worked fine. All the Feedbacks have been reestablished.

Best regards!

Artur