Course rating system

Course rating system

by WriteToShare .org -
Number of replies: 18

Does anyone know about the existence of a course rating system for moodle courses?  I was hoping that there was someone out there that has one or is working away at that feature.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to WriteToShare .org

Re: Course rating system

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Milan - I'm wondering if ratings might not work well or be incorporated with some of the work on social networking and tagging. The two concepts seem to me to be related but distinct. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by WriteToShare .org -

Anthony,

We were hoping to have the ability to have courseware ratings and then be able to pull up average ratings by courseware creator.  That way we can see the effectiveness of a user's ability to create quality content.  You're right, it is a mix of concepts.  Is there a module out there that does anything of the sort?  I have searched through the modules list and I came up empty handed.

Milan Indru Malkani

by Anthony Borrow -
Milan - I'm not aware of anything - which does not mean that something else does not already exist - but simply that I'm not aware of it. I think it would be a good feature request so feel free to create it in the tracker and let folks know here on the forums so that folks can vote for it. It would probably require the creation of a table for course ratings but I could see some benefit to it. The limitation of it would be that it only gives you a one dimension look at the course - in other words an overall rating. Perhaps the use of the feedback (or questionnaire - I personally prefer feedback because it is simpler for the users to setup) to create a course evaluation. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by WriteToShare .org -

Anthony,

I went ahead and added this as a feature request.

MDL-12747" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12747

Hopefully enough people vote for it to get it pushed up in the queue.

Milan Indru Malkani

by Anthony Borrow -
Milan - Thanks for creating the tracker issue and for the suggestion. I can see having the ability to rate courses being especially valuable on social networking oriented sites. We'll see what ideas folks come up with for how best to implement it. Peace - Anthony

by Jenny Gray -
Hi,

We do something like this with our open courseware site OpenLearn. We use the questionnaire module and ask a few simple questions "how interesting was this", "how difficult was this" etc and get the users to pick from "very", "a bit" ... multiple choice options for their answers.

Take a look at the site http://openlearn.open.ac.uk and go into "Rate this Unit" on any unit.

At the moment ratings are only visible to site admins, but we're working on some improvements to the module to make that more configurable. See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-106

We felt this was simpler than developing something from scratch. We've just had some user feedback in asking for a star rating based on user entries in the questionnaire to be displayed beside the link to "rate this unit" - I'm not entirely sure how I'll handle that yet!!
In reply to Jenny Gray

by WriteToShare .org -

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk is a great site.  We are supporting the same initiative with WriteToShare.org.

I could not find the questionaire module.  When I clicked on the link that was automatically created in your message, it took me to the module search page and it pulled up zero modules.  I assume this questionaire is something that you created once and you are importing it into every course you create, is that correct?

by Jenny Gray -
Try this http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/questionnaire/view.php?id=259421

You'll need to register with OpenLearn and be logged in to see the questionnaire itself (or I can post a screenshot if you can't be bothered!)

The questionnaire module has a concept of re-using surveys. When you set up a new questionnaire you can either create a new survey, copy a template one or use a "public" questionnaire. "Public" means one that is global to the site, so you could use the same single survey to store content about everything. We use the template option because it keeps each course's feedback separate.

You can find out more about the module here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?f=469
In reply to Jenny Gray

by WriteToShare .org -

Jenny,

I'm sorry, I should have clarified further.  I created an account and browsed the site before I sent that last message.  I saw your implementation of the questionnaire on your site and it serves the purpose that we are looking for (although some cool star ratings would be nice).  The problem I was having was trying to find a place to download the module.  Is this a new module, or is this the survey module?  We are running 1.8.

Milan Indru Malkani

by Jenny Gray -
Sorry, I misunderstood you. You can find out more about the module at the forum link I gave before.

And the modules & plugins database entry has been restored too (thanks Helen)

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=84

There are links to download the code here.
In reply to Jenny Gray

by WriteToShare .org -

Jenny,

Thank you for your help.  I'll look into getting that module installed.

Milan Indru Malkani

In reply to Jenny Gray

by Khaled Zamani -
Hi everyone,

I downloaden the plugin from the link, but can't apply the patches that I downloaden from here. Does anyone know why?

Is there a patched version of questionnaire somewhere to download.

In reply to Khaled Zamani

by Jenny Gray -
Yes, CONTRIB-106 has been closed. All you need to do is download the questionnaire for Moodle 1.9 from the database and that already includes the roles and permissions improvements.
In reply to Jenny Gray

by Khaled Zamani -
I've downloaded it thanks a lot Jenny. I started a new course and I'm busy testing is. I couldn't find the "Rate this unit" block. You mentioned it in this topic. If you rate a unit you'll see that the stars are changing. Is this another module? I'm looking for something the same. Or may be it is another module!

by Jenny Gray -
You won't find that one! Its a local customisation that's not in a fit state to share yet sad.

I hope to find the time early next year to take all the code it uses which we've randomly scattered around and put it all together inside the block so some-one else could install it. I'll try to remember to post about it when its ready.
In reply to Jenny Gray

by Khaled Zamani -
oh okay no problem. It is a great block, so hope you can get the time to post it. Thanks for the info.

by Jenny Gray -
I keep getting private messages about this one with people asking for tips on what we've done, so I thought I'd post our latest changes here - the good news is that it is more suitable for sharing now smile

We are keeping our "give a review" questionnaire - which is a straight implementation of the questionnaire module with questions that we've set up that suit our site.

We've moved the 5 * rating system within a block. Its in testing at the moment so here is a screenshot

rate block screenshot

Next step is to package this up and put it in contrib - I'd need to take the questionnaire link out to keep it simple. I'll post back again when its done.