BOT Registration Problem

BOT Registration Problem

by Satish Talim -
Number of replies: 8
Till yesterday, I had around 1634 registrations to my site and today I saw 1950 registrations. I observed that a BOT had registered 300 users from different email addresses ending with @i-pod.info

Is there a simple mass delete option wherein I can delete all registrations from the email id @i-pod.info ? I can of course waste considerable time and energy deleting these 300 users manually. Please help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Satish Talim

Re: BOT Registration Problem

by Satish Talim -
I forgot, I am using Moodle 1.8.2+

When a user registers on site, does his/her data go into one table or multiple tables?
In reply to Satish Talim

by Matt Gibson -
on 1.9 there is a very effective mass-delete option. Depending how happy you feel about using the beta, that could be a good option. Its pretty stable now and I've been using it for a month or so.
In reply to Satish Talim

by Artur Vieira -
I just had the same problem: a bot registered about 300 users since Monday. Please help.
In reply to Satish Talim

by Tony Hursh -
I'm not sure what these guys are trying to do, but until someone figures it out this is what I'd try:

1) Temporarily turn off email-based self-registration (under Administration/Authentication), if that's feasible for you.

2) Add i-pod.info to "Denied email domains" under Adminstration/Server/Email

3) Set "Delete unconfirmed users after" to 1 hour under Adminstration/Server/Cleanup. That should get rid of the bogus accounts after a little while.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Satish Talim

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
To register 300 or 500 new users from the email domain i-pod.info only is useful for the author of the bot script if he really wants to get the mails. In this case he can answer to only one registration control link to get access to this Moodle.

If he does not need to get the mails he will vary also the domain part of the mails next time. I think it would be a good idea for Moodle to get a CAPTCHA field on the registration page and also in every dialog for posting into any forum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

What do you think about this?

Ralf