Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by Rowan Chakoumakos -
Number of replies: 17
Hello Moodlers!!

I am Rowan from GHOP!
I have searched through the documentation and could not find any articles on Gzipping Moodle.

demo.moodle.org could be reduced from 21k to 5k: a reduction of 76.19% by gzipping alone!
This does not only saves bandwidth, the page appears to load faster for the user.

Gzipping is usually achieved in two different ways:

Gzipping on the fly - When a user requests the page, the server gzips the page and sends this. This can increase the load on your server especially during high traffic.

Passive Gzipping - The server, usually during off-peak hours, creates a gzipped copy of each page. This obviously increases the amount of disk space utilized. When newer browsers such as Firefox request content, they first request a gzipped copy and thus the server sends this copy.

Implementing Gzipping in Moodle:

One simple way to implement gzipping on the fly, is to create a .htaccess file with a file handler. Essentially, any php file before being processed will get the instructions to gzip added to the top of the file.

Passive gzipping can be more difficult to implement because it requires setting up a cron job to run during non-peak hours. Also since Moodle is changing constantly, whenever a change occurs, the gzip verison must also be updated!

Any feedback or suggestions on this idea are more than welcomed smile

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rowan Chakoumakos

Svar: Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by Nicklas Lindgren -
HTTP compression might be a good idea, or an unacceptable risk depending on your situation.

Most modern browswers support this, and those who don't will get uncompressed versions of the content.

However, there is a small group of browser versions who have bugs. Those who claim to understand HTTP compression but that in reality don't, or don't completely or correctly.

This group includes old Netscapes, MSIE6 before SP1 with Realplayer installed, old versions of Mozillas browser engine Gecko, and most likely some others too.

Nobody should use these browsers nowadays, but if they do they won't be able to access the Moodle, or will have serious problems doing so.

It all depends on how important you consider maximum accessibility, and what kind of contact you have with your users.

For HTTP compression in Apache i would recommend using mod_deflate (included by default) together with a conservative configuration enabling it, for example:

# Insert filter
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

# Netscape 3.x is rumored to have unspecified problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/3 gzip-only-text/html

# Netscape 4.x is rumored to have unspecified problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# Netscape 4.06-4.08 is rumored to have some severe unspecified
# problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# MSIE and browsers posing as it might handle it, there is
# however rumors about another bug than the one below
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# MSIE 6 prior to SP1 (Jan 2002) might not handle it
# http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q312496
# Unfortunately there does not seem to be a way to differentiate
# between different MSIE 6.0 versions.
#
# BrowserMatch \bMSIE.6\.0 no-gzip

# Opera is rumored not to have had any serious problems handling
# compression
BrowserMatch \bOpera !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Konqueror has had bugs related to compression, but as far as i
# know none that prevented accessibility or readability of
# responses with Content-Encoding: gzip
BrowserMatch \bKHTML !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Old versions of Gecko have had problems with compression. I
# have not found a later confirmed bug than this one:
# https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=deflate

# A crude way to filter Gecko versions based on the fix date of
# the bug:
BrowserMatch \bGecko/199 no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bGecko/200[01234] no-gzip

# Adobes PDF reader plugin has been known not to handle compression.
# Also PDF files usually contain compressed data.
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.pdf$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Don't compress already compressed file formats
# Assuming that .exe means a windows self extracting file.
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:t?gz|zip|bz2|sit|rar|exe)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# This includes compressed image formats
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
# (Proxies might convert images between formats otherwise)
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

Passive gzipping is inappropriate for sites where nearly all content is generated by scripts, like in Moodle.
In reply to Nicklas Lindgren

Re: Svar: Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by David Berry -
We implemented GZIP compression about 3 weeks ago (because our techie likes playing). The crude figures are 5% speed increase and 75% bandwidth reduction. No checks have yet been performed for SSL and concurrency.

Thanks for the information on the browser (in)compatibility. I will have to look at that in more detail next term - but no-one has complained yet!

Regards

Dave Berry
In reply to David Berry

Re: Svar: Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by Stuart Mealor -
Interesting... not something I have played with yet...
Can anyone expand what is meant by 'implemented GZIP compression' ?
(Just changing paths e.g. from /usr/bin/zip to /usr/bin/gzip ?)
I'd like to experiment on a test server...
This looks interesting...
http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/phpgzip/
But I think I read somewhere that gzip doesn't work well with Moodle ???
Anyone?
Thanks so much, Stuart smile
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Richard Enison -
SM,

Well, I did a search of the Moodle docs (wiki) for gzip and here's what I found:

On the one hand,

http://docs.moodle.org/en/System_paths#Path_to_zip

but on the other hand,

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Backup_FAQ#How_do_I_backup_my_whole_Moodle_site.3F

So go figure.

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Richard,

that is about a different thing. Zip (the PKZip compatible one) is the format used to compress Moodle course backups, i.e., those made inside Moodle with its built-in backup tools.

That format is incompatible with gzip's one, which is fine to use outside Moodle (i.e., when you externally backup Moodle files, Moodle database, etc.).

Finally the issue being discussed here is HTTP compression when serving Moodle content the browser, which has little to do with the above wink

So three different scenarios, with three (well, just two wink) tools.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Nicklas Lindgren

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
A big thank you for pointing this out: we have our Moodle server at school behind a rather low upload bandwidth so compared with the speed we are used to at school, using Moodle was always slow at home.
Now, the largest coursepage I know of loads under 3 sec (on an unloaded server) cool

Re: Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by Jenny Gray -
Any-one interested in increasing client-side performance might find this discussion http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82578 helpful.

Gzip is one of the recommendations made by Yahoo - and something I keep meaning to look into!

Re: Delivering Gzipped Content to Reduce Bandwidth and Increase Rendering Speed for Users

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I used to have it enabled on moodle.org a few years ago, but I had reports of some browser incompatibilities (just as Nicklas describes here) and I had to reluctantly switch it off. moodle.org really has to be accessible.

Now however, perhaps the browser situation has improved. (Martin goes off to look...)

Actually, I see mod_deflate has improved over mod_gzip so that it's possible to target browsers with it. Great! Thanks, Rowan!

I've turned it on for moodle.org and demo.moodle.org!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ryan Smith -
Martin,

Can you post all of your directives you used for mod_deflate in your conf?

Also, does this interfere with eAccelerator? Anybody know?

Thanks!
In reply to Ryan Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm running eaccelerator v0.9.5.2 here, and it seems to be work fine. I've not tested files yet, see: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66362

Here's what I've got in httpd.conf:

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/javascript application/x-httpd-php application/x-javascript text/css
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

by Matt Gibson -
I tried getting this to work a while ago, but got nowhere. How can you tell if its working?

moodle.org (this page) still seems not to have it enabled according the Yslow output:

4. Gzip componentsnorgie_open_dna.gif

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Martin Dougiamas -
I just added "application/x-javascript text/css" to the list of file types to process so that should be fixed now too.

by Jenny Gray -
I'm still seeing the same output from YSlow that was reported above.

I'm running in Firefox 2.0.0.11 if that's any help.

The good news is that the list I see in YSlow for moodle.org is smaller than my site, so something must be working smile
In reply to Jenny Gray

by Matt Gibson -
Seems to be fixed for me.

moodle.org that is. Still not getting any success on my own setup. phpinfo shows that mod_deflate is enabled and I have pasted the above commands into httpd.conf, but no joy. apache error log is silent. Hmmm...

by Rowan Chakoumakos -

Hello Martin Dougiamas,

Glad that I could help! smile
According to whatsmyip.org, moodle.org is saving 75.76% bandwidth big grin

Rowan

by Dan Poltawski -
I meant to reply to this post originally just to suggest that gzipping might not be worth the processing overhead in many moodle scenarios. (Where we are often more worried about server load than the reduced bandwidth gain).

Perhaps this is increasing the load on moodle.org atm ;)