Added Video on Creating a Quiz

Added Video on Creating a Quiz

by Rebecca Hermel -
Number of replies: 10

I have created a video on how to create a quiz in Moodle and here is the link:

Please review. It is longer than what was asked for.

Rebecca

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rebecca Hermel

Re: Added Video on Creating a Quiz

by Kevin Xu -
Oh wow 9 minutes. Not to be harsh but that is quite long although it is very helpful because it covers just about everything. This is probably acceptable for GHOP (although you will have to consult with them) and I understand it might be a real hassle to do all this over again.

Otherwise it is perfectly fine and I really like the bulleted points at the beginning!

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your video on creating a quiz in Moodle. Your voice-over is beautiful and clear. approve

However, as Kevin points out, 9 minutes is really too long, especially as GHOP task 16 states that the video should be between 1 and 3 minutes. You can definitely cut out the parts of the video showing the page being scrolled down, perhaps by not zooming in quite as much. Try and aim for a 3-minute long video, though if it's just a little over then it doesn't matter.

Best wishes and thanks for participating in GHOP. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm afraid I have not watched the video, but if it is all good stuff, could it be cut into two or three shorter videos, each explaining part of it?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Rebecca Hermel -

I will try to reduce the length of the video to about 3 to 5 min. I will have this done by Monday, 12/24.

Rebecca

In reply to Helen Foster

by Rebecca Hermel -

Hi Helen-

Well I have reduced the length of the video by about 4 minutes. It is now 5 minutes and 44 seconds and this is the best I can do without significantly reducing the quality of the video. The video goes by pretty quickly and I think it is pretty easy to follow. Here is the new link:

Rebecca

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for improving your video - it's very clear and easy to follow and not too long. approve

I have added links to your video on a couple of pages in the quiz documentation: Adding/updating a quiz and Editing a quiz.

I'm also going to move this discussion to the quiz module forum so that people using quizzes know about your video.

Well done for successfully completing GHOP task 16. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Isner -
Well, I hate being negative, but I sincerely believe that this video fails to explain the most basic things about quiz creation, namely, that creating a quiz is a two step process: (1) adding questions to a question database and (2) selecting questions from the database for the quiz. Related to (1) is that the question database is organized hierarchically in categories. Failure to understand this two-part model is the root cause of a significant percentage of the problems that new users have using Moodle quizzes. Dumbed-down interfaces (a topic discussed extensively early this year during another student project) and simplified presentations like this one, which attempt to portray quiz creation as a one-step process guarantee a never-ending stream of FAQs pouring into the Quiz forum.
In reply to John Isner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I tend to agree with John's remarks, and would like to add to them.

1- About the Quiz and the Questions database: which comes first in the two-step process?

Well it all depends on the teacher's strategies. I would very roughly state two typical use cases for quizzes.

a- Testing (exam)

Teacher would create a number of questions aimed at testing the students' knowledge of a course. Those questions would likely be created into separate categories (or sub-categories) and be closely related to "learning objects" from the course. At the end of a learning period (month, semester, etc.) the teacher would create a testing quiz (exam), probably using random questions from various categories. The order of creation in that case would clearly be 1) create questions; 2) create the quiz.

b- Learning

Alongside with creating course resources, teacher would create quizzes of the "self-assessment" variety. Those quizzes would consist of questions created specifically for each quiz, would be put in a category named after the name of the quiz (to avoid confusion), would not use random questions. The quiz would of course be set as Adaptative. The order of creation might be 1) create the questions; 2) create the quiz; but might equally well be the opposite: 1) create the quiz; 2) create the questions.

2- About "quiz/questions tutorials"

It follows that anyone creating a quiz tutorial will have to choose between one of the two strategies described above, for the sake of brevity and clearness, against the sake of completeness.

3- About "video tutorials" in general

For my own teaching purposes I have created a number of tutorials (Hot Potatoes for teachers, MS Word for writing research articles, doing research on the Web, etc.). In the process of creating those tutorials I have watched a number of video tutorials and I have rarely be favourably impressed by them. At worst they display their creator fumbling their way through the menus, doing a number of unwanted or un-necessary actions; the spoken comments (if any) are merely descriptive and do not add significant information; it is not easy for the end-user to pause, rewind and have an overall view of the tutorial. At best they involve using expensive, proprietary software, spending a lot of time editing the video, the audio comments, adding tooltips, etc. At best, when they are of professional quality, they can be quite impressive, but not necessarily more useful to the end-user than plain text or HTML files with screen shots included (the kind I advocate).

I am aware that some people are more "visually" inclined while others are more "verbally" inclined. The video tutorials might better appeal to the former and the "text plus screenshots" tutorials to the latter. Research has probably been done in this field and I would be grateful if someone would point to useful references. I am thinking of Richard E. Mayer Multimedia Learning.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by John Isner -
Hi Joseph,
We are in 100% agreement on video tutorials. If people insist on making them, at least keep them short (30-60 seconds max). I hate scribbling notes frantically and having to rewatch a 3 minute video tutorial in order to pick up a vital scrap of information that I missed the first two times.

The discussion about use cases probably should migrate to the quiz forum smile I don't see two use cases for quiz creation (testing, learning). If one has a large database of high-quality questions, carefully categorized in semantically-meaningful categories, then the teacher can always start with the database, regardless of whether she is preparing tests or preparing quizzes for learning purposes. Viewing the quiz as an asset (i.e., something worthy of its own database category!) is wrong, in my view. Tests are obviously not reusable and I would argue that Quizzes should not be reused because they should be highly targeted to the specific learner population and circumstances. Quizzes are disposable. Questions are reusable. Features like question preview make reuse practical. The ability to tag questions with metadata like difficulty level or specific competencies would greatly enhance reuse.
In reply to John Isner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
John > The discussion about use cases probably should migrate to the quiz forum...

But this is the Quiz forum, John. Have you been celebrating the coming New Year with too much champagne already?wink

Happy New Year to you and all fellow moodlers.cool

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)