GHOP Issue 31- Video Tutorial for RSS

GHOP Issue 31- Video Tutorial for RSS

by Kevin Xu -
Number of replies: 7
Hello everyone at Moodle. My name is Kevin and I am glad to be working with the Moodle open source community as a part of the Google Highly Open Participation Contest.

I chose to do task 31 and details are as follow:
Record a screen-captured video with a voice-over demonstrating what RSS
feeds are and how to add them to your course using the RSS client Block (in
Moodle 1.9), suitable for a teacher who is fairlya new to Moodle.

You can learn how to do this by: reading existing documentation; playing
with Moodle and asking questions in the forums.

The video should be between 1 and 3 minutes. Post the result on
Youtube.com and link to it from here.
Check out my video here

Please view it and tell me if any further editing is necessary.

I understand that it is not perfect but I was pressed for time as it is due Monday and I know that Youtube takes a while to process so I am allowing all of Monday to process it. The audio is fuzzy at times and the o in "official Google Blog" should have been capitalized. Also please excuse me for it being 3 minutes and 1 second long, a second over the time limit. I also used the background music from Apple's "Get a Mac" ads to make the video flow better but I am not sure if that is allowed so please get back to me on that and I will make changes immediately.

If any editing is very necessary then please extend my deadline. I was mostly experimenting with using the screencast and mike software as it was my first time but if you noticed, the second half of the video got better. I promise the next videos I do will be a lot better the first time as I have gained a lot of experience.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Xu

Re: GHOP Issue 31- Video Tutorial for RSS

by Tyler Menezes -
My only suggestion are to turn down the voice-over volume a bit (way big difference from the music which is at the normal level). It peaked out a few times.
In reply to Kevin Xu

by Art Lader -

Nice, Kevin! [Fellow Moodler. smile]

What might make your fine video even better? Well, since it is a step-by-step affair, perhaps you could add a slide at the end summarizing the steps. That is always helpful.

Do you have the ability to add callouts? You know, little arrows and signs that appear and tell you when something important is happening in the video. If so, that might make your video even cooler than it already is and an even better teaching tool.

I am impressed! If you were my student, I'd give you an "A."

Please do keep up the good work, Kevin. I look forward to your next production.

Best,
Art
In reply to Kevin Xu

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Kevin こんにちわ from Japan,

I watched your video and found it very easy to understand. I have never added an RSS feed to my site, so now I know! You have a real gift for explaining things.

Don ダン
In reply to Kevin Xu

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your video on how to add RSS in Moodle - it's great. approve

It's no problem for it to be a second over the time limit (1 to 3 minutes was only a rough guideline). Also, if you'd like to improve your video by editing it further, your deadline can be extended by another 2 days, no problem.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to remove the background music, as it's not really necessary and may be distracting for some people. Also, I'm not sure whether you are allowed to use the music without permission. wink

Best wishes and thanks for participating in GHOP. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kevin Xu -

Thank you Tyler Menezes, Art Lader, Don Hinkelman, and Helen Foster for all your nice comments and suggestions. Also thank you Helen for the extension.

I have taken various suggestions into consideration and have completed a newer, better, final copy of the video here

I hope it will become useful to all Moodle users and that it fares well in the GHOP. I hope to start a new task soon.