Which route could we take...

Which route could we take...

by Andrew Steele -
Number of replies: 1
I've a good deal of experience running a number of Moodle sites for clients. By and large they work well and are all standalone installations.

Now, one of the clients has decided to establish a new 'institute' which has its own identity but which shares some learning resources with their main institution.

I've been exploring, with the client, the best structure to facilitate their needs.

The absolute need is to avoid duplicating materials across multiple Moodles. Also the desire to avoid confusing learners by differing institutional identities within the learning activities and avoiding multiple log-ins

So, we've considered the following approaches...

1. Each institute has a static website which links forward to a single Moodle which holds all the learning resources and activities. If we do this the client asks if there is a means of 'branding' the pages with a theme unique to the institution the learner is registered with.

2. A Moodle Network between the two institutional sites. This has great appeal but we're not sure just how the pages look. We're wondering if anyone has a Moodle Network up and running which we could visit and get a sense of how this might suit our needs.

There are probably other approaches we could take. I can imagine some things we might try out but I'd be interested in ideas from fellow 'Moodlers' - especially if you've faced similar challenges.

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Steele

Re: Which route could we take...

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Andrew,

yes we know about such requests from clients. Mainly we are asked about this topics:
  • mandatory systems
  • repositories for documents, alias to documents and no more copies
  • course templates and engines to build new courses from existing activities in different courses
  • different views on available courses relating to the department or client a user comes from
  • workflows for course access
  • reports over diferent courses with different views dependig on the own role or department
And we've developed extensions to Moodle for this needs. Please contact me directly and ask or MoOdalis.

Ralf Hilgenstock