URGENT :-(

URGENT :-(

by Mike Williams -
Number of replies: 30
The function to change a users profile image is not in edit profile?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Williams

Re: URGENT :-(

by Patrick Malley -
I'm not sure this is urgent, but anyway.

There is no setting that turns this setting on or off, so either you just aren't seeing it, or there is something wrong with your installation.

To check that you're just missing it, it should appear as a separate fieldset immediately following the text input field for user description.

If that is where you have been looking, then you may want to post information about your specific install (e.g. Moodle version, database type, server setup, etc.). You may also want to tell us if you are experiencing any other problems that are perhaps related.

Good luck.
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Mike Williams -
Hi Patrick smile

Thanks big help smile

A small function but I had to get working quick

Many thanks

by Petr Kalis -
Hi
Do you have GD library installed ?
PK
In reply to Petr Kalis

by Mike Williams -
Hi Petr smile

Yeah I found the setting, thank god....just in the nick of time

Many thanks

Mike

by Patrick Malley -
What "setting" did you find? Your solution may be of help to others down the road.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am assuming that the GD library does the magic to turn an uploaded image file into a thumbnail and without that being available Moodle decides not to show that option (as it won't work?).

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's not really urgent is it.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Mike Williams -

Hi Marcus

Not knowing my full situation at the time, I can fully understand why you would make that comment, however, many thanks for making the effort to reply, even though you have not offered a solution and have wasted my time not to mention clogging up the forum with pointless comments.

Perhaps my post is not urgent to you but then your post isn't helpful to me unlike a number of others that I have received who are happy to pass on knowledge in the spirit of collaboration through these forums and not critic/ question users making them feel awkward and uncomfortable to the point that they no longer wish to use the forum in the future.

I'm sure being the relative newbie to Moodle that I am, I will have a number of other emergencies in the future as I have been thrust into the role of admin, therefore please feel free not to reply to any of my queries you feel are beneath you.

On a more positive note perhaps you could set up an elite site for non new users and avoid such frustration in the future

Kind regards

Mike

by Drew Buddie -

Mike, with respect I think you are being a wee bit unfair with your response to Marcus.  Marcus (along with many many other members) has long provided this online support community with pearls of his wisdom and I for one remain truly indebted to him for the help that he has given me with my problems in the past - he *IS* an EXCEEDINGLY helpful man.  Perhaps what he was trying to draw attention to was that your post was merely titled 'urgent' and that up til now this community has tended to have more explicit subject headings in order that help can be more forthcoming.  After all if everyone (remembering the many thousands of installations there are around the world) were to call their messages 'urgent' we'd get nowhere. 

One of the GREAT boons of Moodle is the tremendous support that comes from this network and I appluad the likes of Marcus for their continual, voluntary and usually effusive support when we in difficulty are 1. EXPLICIT about our issues and 2. show GRATITITUDE/APPRECIATION in advance of any help we may get. People who follow these 2 'steps' are more inclined to be helped on future occasions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Mike Williams -
Hi Drew

Thank you for your input, in future I will be explicit and I will continue to show my GRATITITUDE/APPRECIATION (in advance of, during and on positive outcome of support) to those who are actually helpful.

Many thanks

Mike

by Marcus Green -
Sorry Mike. My favorite site is www.javaranch.com and they have a commandment No. 1 that is supposed to guide all content and that is "be nice". My comment wasn't pro-actively nice so again I apologise.

As you can see from some of the other comments the use of the word Urgent can be something of a hot button for folks ready and waiting to respond to questions. It can come accross as an attempt to prioritise one post above others in a medium which by its very nature is not urgent. Even "urgent my pants are on fire and all my records have vanished" is problematic as a web forum lacks the real time response capabilities to extinguish the pants (though it can sometimes help with missing records).

Of course the above paragraph is entirely irrelevent to your post as my response at worst should have just been a gentle suggestion to be careful with the use of the word "urgent" (and even better, if I had included some kind of help with your problem).

Please keep posting, we really are quite friendly here and we don't want any feeling of a need to be "in" or "elite". In fact we rather like a well described problem as we can show off our knowledge. And if you ever get a chance to go to a Moodle conference take it up because it is magic when you get to put a face to the names.
Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

Re: URGENT :-( (off topic, but I couldn't resist)

by A. T. Wyatt -
"urgent my pants are on fire and all my records have vanished"

Oh, oh, oh, oh. That would have been dreadful. And it made me laugh at the same time (even while wincing in sympathy for the imaginary poster). I felt that way the first time I turned editing on and everything vanished. . . Fortunately, we got that sorted! smile

I thought you had a pair of asbestos pants? clown
atw
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Neil Griffiths -

Ummmmm...Drew.....thanks for your post but do you actually have help to offer Mike?

With respect of course.big grin

In reply to Neil Griffiths

by Drew Buddie -
Sighs and shakes head - I gave my advice in the response I made.
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Neil Griffiths -

No, you merely added a little bit about protocol. No "technical" solution was offered. Mike had no use from your comment.

Sighs, shakes head and quite frankly laughs at Drew.

by Marcus Green -
I think MIke might have have had a long term use from Drews comment beyond moodle or these forums. I make the assumption that Mike was in a hurry and "wanted an answer, please now, I need it", and this looked like the place to ask it and he asked a very brief question and it felt urgent to him at the time, and was looking for a solution to his technical problem not a comment on the nature of asking question. That (I assume) was his perspective.

And I was in a hurry, at work (I should have actually been working at what they pay me for) and was frustrated frustrated partly because of a lack of a detailed description of the problem, my guts said "please help me to help you". However, there is a place for "meta commentary". How to ask a question in such a way to optimise your chance of getting a result is a fantastically inportant idea. Drew put some of this in to a wider perspective.

We could take the view that these forums are just for exchanging technical solid fact and they would be the duller for it. On the other hand we don't want to be a place like the playground where there are frequently shouts of "fight, fight, fight" and people are worried to make a post in case they get pounced on by smarty pants know it alls or people making dead pan droll comments about the importance of their question. That would be a really, really bad thing. My favorite site has the slogan "a friendly place for greenhorns" which is not a bad motto.

But I'll re-iterate, my original reply was not appropriate.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Steve Hyndman -

I think MIke might have have had a long term use from Drews comment beyond moodle or these forums.

Wow...first you know what is urgent and not urgent for him and now you know what kind of "life lessons" he learns from these forums...you're good wink.

I think the real lesson, at least from my perspective, is this....

But I'll re-iterate, my original reply was not appropriate.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: URGENT :-( - Stop this Madness

by Richard Cory -
It's about this time, that this forum could use the capability of permitting moderators to close a thread.

Points were made, shots over the bow were taken and some folks still do not want to let go.

For those of us who are subscribed to this site as a whole, we get enough emails coming at us. It takes time to sift through them for valuable nuggets of information and to lend support were we can.

Please let's stop this nonsense.

RC
Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Marcus Green -
"first you know what is urgent and not urgent for him and now you know what kind of "life lessons" he learns from these forums...you're good"

Thanks Steve, I have often been complemented on my empathy and insight in the past. Your comment is appreciated.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Neil Griffiths -

Thank you Marcus, I was annoyed at your initial response and I am glad you explained your actions.

I decided to help Mike out and defend him as I can see why diferent situations may be urgent for different people at different times. It is easy to want a quick response when about to present at a conference and you realise something is wrong. The last thing you want is a quick response, get excited and check and it is a beratement, then another response and it is someone like Drew merely reiterating what has been said. I think Urgent in "urgent" circumstances gets a quick reply from this Extremely useful forum when you are up to your neck in it then i think it works well.

I would add that I have met and worked with Mike on a number of occasions - most recently in Lisbon where we are working on a European project where we jointly decided to use Moodle as the platform to deliver the E-learning project.

It is best not to assume a basic question is from a newbie - both Myself and Mike are successful installers in Wales and throughout Europe with a number of sucessful projects under our belts and in Wales have achieved Grade 1 inspection results from Estyn.

We have a lot to offer these forums but get put off by what can be accurately described by Steve Hyndman as the Elite groups who feel they are Gods amongst us. Help in moodle goes beyond installing and running it - quite often the probelm will be network or server related.

Thanks for the discussion thus far......big grin

Drew you need not reply as i have not attacked anyone....thoughtful

I will now revert to helping the newbies on this foum who need accurate and concise help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Michael Penney -
Perhaps you can understand that experts like Marcus are very busy, and phrases like "cult", and " Elite groups who feel they are Gods amongst us." don't actually make many longtimers feel very welcome.

Seems to me there are fewer folks from 2003 and 2004 in these forums nowsad.

That these forums have become places where phrases like "Cult" and "Elite groups who feel they are Gods amongst us" are used to describe people who are trying to fit helping others for free into their lives (and explain the time it takes to their wives/husbands, children, and bosses) is perhaps part of the reason.

by Petr Kalis -
Mike, i wanted to write something like Marcuss earlier too, but didn't have enough time.
Calling your posts "URGENT!!!" "PLEASEEEE HELP!!!!!" "DESPERATELY NEED HELP!!!!!" "MOODLE SUCKS!!!!!!" (i don't say you wrote all of these big grin - but you are guilty of some "A simple question.... but a huge help" etc wink) is rude and not helpful at all for other users.
I would like to point you that many users, experienced, but newbies too, find this names of posts wrong and just ignore it. I am planning to do the same, but i slip sometimeswink.
So i think nothing so awful happened, just think of other users next time too and label your post by proper name to help find the solution for others too.

(But sometimes i am questioning myself, if some people tried search function before they cry for help sometimes, so many threads about maximum upload size for example, sometimes on one page, just few posts apart...i just don't like this and not get it either. But i think moodle community is very helpful and polite, i don't see many cases of UTFG reply here big grin)
PK

by Steve Hyndman -

Mike...welcome to the forums wink.

You made a "newbie mistake" by not recognizing that this is not really a community for many...it's a cult. Cult members are allowed to take cheap shots at you, but you are not allowed respond "in-kind"...if you do, other cult members will attack....some do it by typing in a reply...others do it by rating those replies wink.

Don't let the disciples get you down and don't worry about the "veiled" threats that you will not be helped if you don't show proper homage to the disciples...there are always people who will help.

Steve

by Nicolas Connault -
Someone spent time reading the Urgent post and maybe even looking for a solution. Then he thought that perhaps it wasn't really that urgent, so he got a little upset, and wrote a rather innocuous, though tactless remark, questioning the urgency of the message. Maybe a smiley along with that post would have made a difference to the way it was interpreted:

The person who wrote the Urgent message could have smiled about it and explained why it was urgent. But he chose to get offended, and spent a considerable amount of his precious time explaining why the innocuous remark was offensive to him.

Then others read these messages and thought they needed to take sides. They spent some of their precious time defending either side.

And then, what always happens in these situations happened again.

A troll came along.

Frankly, learn to smile and get on with your job smile

PS: I took the time to write this in order to, perhaps, encourage forum participants to better use their time in the future.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Neil Griffiths -

Nicolas - consider you time well spent.......big grin

However i am still annoyed at the rudeness of Marcus........angry

by Neil Griffiths -

Steve, I see what you mean about rating the replies - some have been marked as "way off" but the original rude comment not marked at all!!!blush

How can you pick and choose who you rate like that....come on show some fairness to ALL members.

I will no longer be reading this thread, some of you will be pleased I know, but to me this is an elite room and not a fair open place. Steve is absolutely on the money with his comments and the regulars actions to these posts are proof enough of everything he said. You defend the disrespectful comment which has not been rated by any of you and then either post a comment about the rest of us or selectively decide to rate our comments.

You are judged by your actions and your actions in this thread speak volumes.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Neil Griffiths -

Handbags on Stun.

Marcus, please refrain from adding replies like this - I find it totally unacceptable, and to be honest you have annoyed me.

We have a saying in the UK "if you dont have anything good to say, then dont say anything at all". This applies to you!