Heads up on new CVS server and mirrors

Heads up on new CVS server and mirrors

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 49
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As most of you know, we are moving away from Sourceforge. I'm working on the new CVS servers and it should be ready to go soonish.

All NON-developers should switch to using one of the anonymous mirrors, because cvs.moodle.org itself will NOT support anonymous access in future: http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators

All developers should be using cvs.moodle.org as your CVS repository to minimise problems later on (it's currently just an alias to Sourceforge but that will change). All your usernames/passwords will have to be regenerated on the new server - I'll post more info about that soon.

All mirror sites will be rsync-ing from cvsmirror.moodle.org that itself mirrors the developer repository very closely. I'll post more info on this soon too.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Info about the new CVS server for developers

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Another heads-up: we're just about ready to move cvs.moodle.org to point over to the new CVS server (most likely Thursday 6th December).

At that exact moment I'll disable all write access to the old server to avoid any code going into a black hole.

IMPORTANT: We need to re-create all the accounts on the new server. Can ALL current developers please email support@moodle.com with an email containing:
  1. Your full name
  2. Your email address
  3. Your new CVS username
  4. Your new CVS password
  5. Your old Sourceforge username (only if it's different)
  6. Your ssh public key if you have one

Put "CVS access" in the subject, please. Thanks!

Re: Info about the new CVS server for developers

by Michael Blake -
Probably best to stick with the same CVS username to maintain history. We may be able to link the 2 names after the changeover, but it'll less of hassle if you don't change in the first instance.

Info about the new CVS server for mirror sites

by Martin Dougiamas -
A note for maintainers of the mirrors:

I was hoping to keep things on the new server exactly the same for you, so that it would be transparent, but I've decided it's better to run a dedicated rsync service so we have a bit more efficiency, control and logging.

Basically it means you'll just need to modify the commands you use to mirror the repository to something like this:
   rsync -av cvsmirror.moodle.org::moodle .

NOT YET though ... wait until the CVS moves on Thursday 6th December.

Re: Info about the new CVS server for mirror sites

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok, message received smile

Could you please post a message here once you've moved CVS and enabled the new syncing mirror so we can switch to the new configuration?

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Dan Poltawski -
Also, do you have an time in mind?

If its whilst i'm awake i'll try and be available to switch it ;)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry about the late notice, but the move should be in about 2 hours from .... NOW. smile

At the same time I'm going to bump the release name of the MOODLE_19_STABLE branch to "1.9 Beta 3" just to help distinguish the new server from the old one (could help in debugging).

by Ryan Smith -
I'm using the anonymous access on eu.cvs.moodle.org and I don't get the new version.php with the bump to 1.9 beta 3. The view CVS site shows that this is the latest version of the file.

Any ideas? Thanks!
In reply to Ryan Smith

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Maybe they haven't switched to the new master CVS mirror yet? We (es.cvs.moodle.org) are doing it right now, so you'll still get the 'old' files in the following 30-45 minutes or so.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Dan Poltawski -
The UK mirror should now be good, hurrah!

by Wen Hao Chuang -
OK, Roger here in US too (for the US mirror site), we will make the change the first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the heads-up. smile

Uh.. by the way, is the site http://download.moodle.org/ currently down right now (local time is pacific standard time 10:14pm)?
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Wen - I just tried the download.moodle.org page and it came up fine. Peace - Anthony

by Iñaki Arenaza -

I've received an email asking me if we provide the rsync service for the CVS repository. When the CVS was hosted at SourceForge, anyone could rsync the repository.

Should we (the final mirrors) provide this service? I don't mind providing it on our server, but some consensus on the subject would be better smile

saludos. Iñaki.

by Pieterjan Heyse -
I would like to bring this to your attention folks, because atm. I cannot use rsync to mirror the entire repo.

I am providing moodle services from moodle 1.5 to HEAD and checking them all out is just not practical for me. I am running my own cvs server, and rsyncing the moodle repo into my cvs server. Since the move to the new moodle.com cvs server, I cannot use this technique anymore. Is there any possibility on providing this service again?

PJ
In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

by Iñaki Arenaza -

I have just enabled rsync access to es.cvs.moodle.org.

Just a couple of 'warnings':

• Compression is disabled/refused. The machine is a little bit underpowered and rsync is CPU-intensive (espcially with compression).
  • We are using cvsd with a chroot setup (instead of plain cvs). This means the CVSROOT of the top of the repository is different than the one you'd get from the real repository. Note that this shouln't make a difference to anonymous users, but I felt I should mention it.

Saludos. Iñaki.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Heads up on new CVS server and mirrors

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's all up and running. smile

I've updated the How to set up a CVS mirror docs with the new rsync info.

The ViewCVS site is here now: http://cvs.moodle.org

There is also a commits@cvs.moodle.org mailing lists here (the mailing lists site is still being tidied up but it works if you want to subscribe to it). Commits are now pretty-printed with colors (using cvsspam).

Email support@moodle.com (or skype me) if there are any problems!

by Howard Miller -
Errrr.... how do you subscribe to the list? I tried the usual suspects, but they don't seem to work.

I know.... I'm almost certainly being dumb again sad

by Iñaki Arenaza -

It's all up and running

And that has made for a BIG difference. 'cvs update -dPRA' used to take 10-25 minutes with sourceforge for me. I've just done it in under 30 seconds with the new server big grin big grin big grin

Thanks Martin smile

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Tim Hunt -
Yes. The new server rocks!

by Martín Langhoff -
+1 from nz - new server - niiiiiiiiiiiice.

(and waiting to be whitelisted for the cvsmirror - at least it rejects my approaches... instantly!)

by Martín Langhoff -

Note about the rsync invocation for mirror maintainers! You will want 2 things:

• --delete so files moved to the Attic (and perhaps then moved back out!) are removed/readded correctly from your mirror!
  • --exclude '#cvs.*' -- you don't want to bring in any of the silly lockfiles cvs scatters all around, as they can render your mirror unusable (clients will get "waiting for lock held by user blah"

by Ryan Smith -
Looks like eu.cvs.moodle.org is working for me now...thanks!

Re: Using Turtoise

by Pierre Pichet -
Can somebody update the docs (or put it here) to give an example of setting correctly TortoiseCVS to access cvs.moodle.org as an identified user (like pichetp)

Thanks

Pierre

P.S. I have problem with the setting of the CVS root.

In reply to Pierre Pichet

Re: Using Turtoise

by Pierre Pichet -
Finally this work with
:ext:pichetp@cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

I let somebody with more knowledge on all these processes put the info on the Docs.
Pierre

P.S. I used my editor (uedit) do a files find and replace all the Root files.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I just switched to the new repository using Martín's command

$ find . -type f -name Root -print0 | xargs -0 perl -pi -e 's/\@moodle\.cvs\.sourceforge\.net/\@cvs\.moodle\.org/'

and it seems to work fine! cool I just had to accept server's RSA key fingerprint. Well, I was waiting about a minute before an update started to work, but it is probably because of everybody wants the new server right now wink

TODO: modify instructions at http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Developers

by Martin Dougiamas -
Some more updates:

1) I've fixed Moodle docs to remove all the Sourceforge references.

2) UK/EU and ES mirrors are running fine, but the US server is behind (they are not responding to my emails). I should also have mentioned that we have a whitelist on hosts allowed to download the whole repository via rsync ... for a while yesterday this wasn't working correctly but it's all fine now.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Martin, sorry about that. I was sick earlier today so didn't respond your message right away. We will do the switch tomorrow the first thing (current time is 10:22pm Dec 06 2007, pacific standard time).. I will post here again when it's done. Thanks! smile

by Wen Hao Chuang -
OK guys the US CVS mirror is now updated. Please give it a try and if you still encounter problems please let me know. Thanks! smile

by Skip Marshall -
We just tried to update one of our sites using anonymous on us.cvs.moodle.org. It asked for a password. Is anonymous access down?

Thanks,
Skip
In reply to Skip Marshall

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Skip thanks for let us know. Could you please email our system administrator Taylor Judd (tjudd@sfsu.edu) for trouble-shooting? Thanks!

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Taylor has fixed the anonymous access issue. Just a quick FYI.
So USA mirror site should be fully functional now.. smile

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Another question. Are the mirrors going to include the modules in contrib? I just tried to get something from contrib from the us mirror and they aren't there.

Also, I just noticed that all of the Browse CVS links in the Modules and plugins database are still pointing to sourceforge.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chardelle - I would think that contrib certainly should be available on the mirrors. Good catch on the Modules and Plugins. I wonder if MartinD or someone from Moodle HQ could go through and change all of the references from moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net to cvs.moodle.org. Peace - Anthony

by Iñaki Arenaza -
If the mirror admins follow the instructions specified in the 'How to set up a CVS mirror' Moodle Docs page, then 'contrib' should definitely be there.

I can confirm that es.cvs.moodle.org includes it.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Chardelle, I just tried it on my local development machine and it works fine, our system admin (Taylor) also double checked and found the contrib folder was updated today, could you let taylor (tjudd@sfsu.edu) know more details about what was the problem that you encountered? Many thanks!

Also if anyone else who is using US mirror site please help us testing the site to see if there are any other glitches, really appreciate that! smile

by Chardelle Busch -
Sheesh, I just took another look and for some reason I had :ext:anonymous instead of :pserver:anonymous in the protocol?? Works now--thanks.

by Chardelle Busch -
>>>>1) I've fixed Moodle docs to remove all the Sourceforge references.<<<<

Except the Tortoise screenshots--could you update those too.

I still can't get this to work with Tortoise--either with a name and password, or with anonymous--maybe seeing the new setup in a screenshot will help?

I get this message:
q checkout -P moodle
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

connect to cvs.moodle.org:2401 failed: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

or

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@SERVER.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

Error connecting to host SERVER.cvs.moodle.org: No such host is known.

by Iñaki Arenaza -

I still can't get this to work with Tortoise--either with a name and password, or with anonymous

Anonymous connections are not supported on the master CVS server. You need to use one of the mirrors for that.

Something like:

:pserver:anonymous@es.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
:pserver:anonymous@us.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

(depending on what mirror server you want to use) should do it. I have updated the TortoiseCVS screen shots to reflect the new settings.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Chardelle Busch -

Okay, thanks Inaki--I've got it now.

>>>>Anonymous connections are not supported on the master CVS server. <<<<

Hence the confusion, since the docs (and your newly posted screenshots--thanks) show this:

Copy this text into the CVSROOT field: :pserver:anonymous@SERVER.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle

If anonymous access isn't allowed--why is this in the docs?

by Iñaki Arenaza -

If anonymous access isn't allowed--why is this in the docs?

Because a few lines above, just below the list of anonymous CVS mirrors, there is the following text:

"Replace the SERVER.cvs.moodle.org in the instructions below with the server you chose above!"

(so we don't need to repeat the instructions with every possible CVS mirror, and we don't specify only one and send everyone to that mirror, thus defeating the point of having several mirrors to spread the load).

[Edit: I have updated the docs to reflect this in the Unix and Windows instructions too.]

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Pierre Pichet -
Tortoise works correctly on main CVS.moodle.org (for developper) with your identification (i.e. pichetp). If you have sent a public key like one created using puttygen, when you registered, you have "direct access" without password to enter.
A good improvementbig grin

Pierre

by Gary Anderson -
It would probably be a good idea to point the link near the bottom of this site so that it points to http://cvs.moodle.org. I was just checking out the latest changes based on that link and noticed that it is still pointing to the old site.

by Martín Langhoff -

Yet another note for cvs mirror operators!

Shortly after going live with the new cvs server, rsync got set to publish CVSROOT, together with the rest if the repository. This was done for good reasons (to support the gitsters in the wild!). But that means that it pushes out the config file (CVSROOT/config) which has settings that probably won't match your server. Specifically, it tries to use /locks/ as the locks directory, which will break in most cases.

So, even if your mirror was usable initially, it may not be usable now. Depends on a few variables, probably a good idea to check. If you try a checkout or update and see a 'cannot stat /locks' error, you know you have a problem.

How to fix it?

• Change your rsync line to also --exclude 'CVSROOT/config'
  • Remove CVSROOT/config or just comment out the LockDir line

I've updated the instructions in the wiki too wink

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Iñaki Arenaza -
We (es.cvs.moodle.org) are using cvsd with a chroot setup, which needs a different CVSROOT setup. So we are excluding the whole CVSROOT directory to start with. This had bitten us badly in the past though sad black eye

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Michael Blake -
**Important Note**
Please discontinue sending requests to the Moodle Helpdesk for new CVS accounts or modifications. Instead, go here and click the "Apply for CVS access" tab to make your requests known. Thanks.