Clarifying the roles interface

Clarifying the roles interface

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Matt Gibson had a nice idea in MDL-12120 about moving the roles tabs. I've implemented this locally (haven't checked it in to 1.9 yet) and also renamed the tabs to make them more user-friendly, hopefully.

(more screenshots at MDL-12120)

Comments? Is everyone happier with that? Any further improvements you can think of there?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Clarifying the roles interface

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It looks quite good. It improves clarity and minimize the amounts of clicks. I like the term 'modify' better than 'override' too.
So go for it! approve

by Ne Nashev -
Yes! It will be good step to improve usability.

One more good thing - to add direct buttons for all activities to course page in editing mode.

And even next good step - to move all this tabs to teacher-only visible tabs line in a main activity page and add one more tab to represent current content of this page - like it exists in a user page.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Looks great! and much simpler.
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi,

Here area few additional thoughts on this....

When setting up an activity, resource for the first time it's not user friendly to then have to go back to it, re-open and then select the Roles tab. My vote is for there to be a "Save settings and assign roles" button as an option on the settings page. This will improve the work flow no end. The resulting page will have the overrides tab displayed if allows for that user's role. The button should not available for subsequent amendments to the settings page.

The eventual layout of the tabs etc. must be consistent for category, course, activity, block, front page and user contexts.

The use of the word "local" makes sense to those with some insight into computer terminology but is not helpful to the vast majority of Moodle users who are not. My suggestion: use terminology such as "Assign roles for this activity" as this makes sense to everyone.

The terminology needs to settle down i.e. overrides or modify permissions.

I agree with the proposal for a course page assign roles icon for activities and resources.

The addition of names to the assign roles table is very useful, a similar list of the capabilities/permissions for overrides could be good too to saving having to enter each role to review the overrides.

I've been told a lot lately that the facility to get an overview of all role assignments in a course i.e. including activities, resources, blocks would be a great help. This could be very busy indeed but at the moment a review of assigned roles is potentially a very tedious process.

An indicator that some users have been assigned to roles at a higher context would be useful in troubleshooting conflicts and help guard against unexpected results.