OSX server performance issues

OSX server performance issues

by Darrell Kim -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

Does anyone have any insight on OSX-specific performance tuning? We are running into performance issues whenever we approach 10 concurrent users. We've followed some suggestions on http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance, as well general apache tuning.

Thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darrell Kim

Re: OSX server performance issues

by Martín Langhoff -
All the versions of OSX I've played with have very bad disk IO -- passable for a desktop/workstation. But not-so-optimal for webserver, and disastrous for mySQL/PostgreSQL.

Used develop on a powerbook (retired now) multi-booting between linux and OSX, and mySQL under OSX was significantly slower when hit by simultaneous readers/writers, and you get a lot of that with Moodle and web apps in general. The core of the problem lies with the "Big Kernel Lock" (aka BKL) that the OSX kernel has.

Can you run your DB on Linux? Ubuntu server runs great on apple hw wink
In reply to Darrell Kim

by Robert Brenstein -
You don't tell us anything about your server (hardware, software) and patterns of usage, so it is hard to say much. A big factor that I experienced is the installed memory. If you want to support more concurrent users, you need at least 4 GB of RAM.
In reply to Darrell Kim

by Dan Trockman -
I run my moodle on an osx xserve dual/dual xeon with 4gb and single sata drive. We have up to 2000 hits per day with many many simultaneous users including quiz etc. I have never had to restart the machine during the 2007 school year and never had a complaint about speed. Never an issue.

Moodle 1.8 with apache 2 and php 5 + MySQL

I am a bit of a server newbie and love the controls I have on the osx side.

We moved from slackware because of speed and need for ease of use.

Not a problem here!
In reply to Dan Trockman

by Marty Sharpe -
Do you happen to be running Moodle alongside the other OS X Server services such as Podcast Producer, wiki/blog, iCal, etc? If so, have you seen a performance hit?
In reply to Darrell Kim

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Sorry, I have no performance tuning suggestions. Maybe Dan can tell us, since he has no issues on his setup.

I love Mac OSX because of the ease of setup, and wrote the Mac step-by-step guide in the Moodle Docs. However, I gave up on OS X for Moodle because of very large performance problems compared to Linux, as Martin has said. I believe this is due to a core problem with Darwin which does not allow MySQL to address the kernal. Linux is excellent because MySQL processes work directly with the OS kernal. Please correct me if I am wrong, as this information is several years old.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Dan Trockman -
I am not relying on the technical hearsay. Some have done testing in the past. All I know is.... We had the server, I said "let's try it.", and we never looked back. It (os x) has been stable and fast since we turned it on. We could always throw Linux on the hardware if we had to but have never had to.