The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

by Ray Johnson -
Number of replies: 5

This error message comes up during install even though I've created the data directory and the path is correct.  Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Johnson

Re: The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

by Dennis Flynn -
permissions? and if using Windows, I always try to use / instead of \ when typing out the path.
In reply to Ray Johnson

Re: The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

by Richard Enison -

RJ,

Also, as I look over a sampling of posts in the past where this error came up, it is usually caused by some security software feature such as SELinux or PHP running in safe_mode, both of which are incompatible with Moodle and it so states in the docs.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by minhaaj rehman -
How do you fix that then ? I am on linux ubuntu
In reply to minhaaj rehman

by Richard Enison -
MR,

Well, if the permissions for your data directory are wrong, change them. If it does not exist, create it. See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Creating_the_data_directory.

If you have a security feature on that might be causing the problem, disable it.

RLE
In reply to Ray Johnson

by John Hunsley -

I ran into the same problem when installing Moodle on Centos 5. I had created the moodle data directory in the usual place, ensured it was writeable by my apache user but I kept getting the message that the installer couldn't find it.

The solution was simple but not obvious.

In the previous screen where the installer performs the Php checks it said I had safe mode on. This meant Php couldn't write to any directories so couldn't write to my moodledata dir.

In my /etc/php.ini I changed the following line -

safeMode=On

to -

safeMode=Off

and re ran the installer. All worked and install fine.

John