Migrating from Default Moodle Wiki to Nwiki problem

Migrating from Default Moodle Wiki to Nwiki problem

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

I have tried to migrate from the default moodle wiki to Nwiki, but have had no luck sad.

I intended to follow these 4 steps, but only got through part of step 4:
  1. Restore (install) courses containing eWiki activites into my experimental moodle system.
  2. Remove the wiki directory (i.e. eWiki) from the mod directory on the server.
  3. Install the various directories in the 'wiki_1.8_rev2007061102 Folder' into the correct locations in the experimental moodle directory on the server.
  4. Access the admin of the experimental moodle via a web browser: at this stage the system recognises the existence of a new module (Nwiki) and creates the relevant MySQL tables, and carries out the 'migration' process etc.
On re-logging in to my experimental moodle (step 4) I got the "wiki module needs upgrading" message and then a series of 'success' messages but no [continue] button at the bottom of the page: see attached PDF.

I then reloaded the page, and got these 'messages'

(mysql): SHOW TABLES
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_modules WHERE name = 'dfwiki' LIMIT 1
dfwiki installed. Upgrading dfwiki (start) 
(mysql): SHOW COLUMNS FROM `mdl_modules`
(mysql): UPDATE mdl_modules SET name = 'dfwiki', version = '2006052502', cron = '2007053101', lastcron = '0', search = '', visible = '0' WHERE id = '23'
dfwiki installed. Upgrading dfwiki (end) 
wikis to dfwiki (start)-> 
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_wiki
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_wiki_entries WHERE wikiid='1' LIMIT 1
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_modules WHERE name = 'wiki' LIMIT 1
(mysql): SELECT * FROM mdl_course_modules WHERE module=22 AND instance=1 LIMIT 1 

Reloading the page again gets the same messages. The only way to get back to the top page is to remove the NWiki module from the mod directory.

Just to make sure that Nwiki would install correctly into my system, I removed the course that contained the instance of a Wiki activity, so that there were no old wikis in my system. This time, the installation was a success, so it seems that there is a bug in the migration process.

Any ideas?

My experimental Moodle is running on the following system:

PowerBook G4, Mac 10.4.10
moodle 1.8.3 (downloaded 29th October from CVS)
MySQL 5.0.24
php 5.2.1
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Migrating from Default Moodle Wiki to Nwiki problem

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hi Peter,

wiki_1.8_rev2007061102 is not the last NWiki release. It had some problems at migration process.

Download N Wiki 2.0 for Moodle 1.8 (BETA). It implements a new installation/migration process. I called it BETA because I wanted to get some feedback from community before calling it "stable".

Follow the same 4 steps to setup it and you will get NWiki with all ewiki content.

Could you post in this forum after trying it? Depending on success of your installation I'll remove the scary (BETA) from the label.

Thanks.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui.
In reply to Jordi Piguillem

Hello Jordi,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the migration again with the version that you suggested, but still no luck sad.

Click here to see a PDF of the very long page that appears on re-logging into my moodle system. This time there is a [Continue] button, but as you will see, there are 3 error messages, and at the bottom is says:

Upgrading wiki from 2007020200 to 2007091901 FAILED!

On clicking on the [Continue] button I get the same messages as I mentioned in my message at the top of this thread. The only way to get back to the top page of the moodle is to delete the wiki tables from the MySQL database and to remove the wiki folder from the mod directory.

Any ideas?

by Jordi Piguillem -
He Peter,

It seems that there are a couple of bugs in migration routines.

I'm going to fix one of them right now.
It would be great to have these wiki backup to solve the other problem. Could you send it to me? You can get my mail from my profile.

Thanks for your feedback and help.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Its very important for us to have as much feedback as possible to ensure flawless migrations. Any wiki backup you could send us will be integrated in out test batery.
Thnx
L.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Jeroen Kleijn -

My problem is as follows:

I tried to install a previous version of nwiki. didnt work, I even deleted old wiki tabels and tried again.

I tried to install nwiki 2, moodle administration did not create the tables automatically (blank screen). I added the tables manually (using the mysql.sql file). Still nothing to seen in the activities/blocks

Jordi,

I emailed you a copy of a course with a wiki activity last Friday. I hope it helps you in fixing the migration bugs.

by Jordi Piguillem -
Great. I'm downloading your backup right now.

I'll start working on it in five mins.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui.

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hello,

I've released a new NWiki zip fixing migration bugs. Try it now, I think it must work.

DFWikiTeam, Pigui.

Hello Jordi,

I finally got around to trying your new version of NWiki to check the migration bugs.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. sad

I copied over 3 courses from my production moodle site, which contain a total of 4 wiki activities. I then removed the original wiki directory from the moodle folder and replaced it with the Nwiki directory. I then accessed the admin page of the Moodle system and the migration process began. It lasted for about 25 minutes, but appeared to finish successfully: the [continue] button appeared, I clicked on it, and was returned to the top page.

However, on entering each wiki activity, I found that they were empty of all content: none of the content that was in the orginal wikis had been carried over. On the other hand, when accessing the MySQL database, I can see that the mdl_wiki_pages table appears to hold all the contents of the original wikis.

Any idea what might be happening?

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Peter,
are using this version?

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Hello,

"are using this version?"

Yes. The one that Jordi posted a link to in his 15th November posting above.

NWiki2.0_Moodle1.8_rev2007112201.zip

by Jordi Piguillem -
Hi Peter,

could you activate some wiki blocks such "List of pages" or "Contributions"? Pages must be there...

DFWikiTeam, Pigui

Pigui,

I activated the wiki blocks you suggested and others, but still no sign of any wiki pages.

I am experimenting with a course that has both a wiki for individual students and a wiki for groups. Both contained pages created with the default wiki but after the migration process none of the pages are visible.

I noticed two things: first, in the original wiki system the default name for the first page (whether or individual or group) is the name of the wiki activity. However, in Nwiki this seems to have been changed to 'student' for an individual wiki and 'group' for a group wiki. I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem?

The second thing I noticed is that in the Nwiki set up page (i.e. the page you see when clicking on the [Update this wiki] button) there is a check box for: "Students can see the teacher's pages". If this is checked and then the settings saved, the following error message appears at the end of the page:

This SQL relies on obsolete tables! Your code must be fixed by a developer.

I hope this information helps.