SCORM maintainer wanted

SCORM maintainer wanted

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi SCORMers,

Roberto Pinna started and supported the SCORM module in Moodle nearly three and a half years ago as a volunteer (thanks again, Roberto).

Unfortunately he's been too busy doing other things for some time, and there is an increasing number of bugs and missing functionality in the SCORM module code:

List of unresolved SCORM bugs

In some cases later Moodle releases have got worse because some maintainers (I'll not mention names smile ) have been committing SCORM fixes to the stable branches only (and not to the current dev versions) ...

I brought in some new maintainers to help last year but they seemed to have trouble getting a handle on the module and very little happened.

So I'm still looking for someone to help here, someone who can take what we have and turn it into a 100% rock-solid SCORM 1.2 implementation first (certifiable) and then push it forward to finish off the SCORM 1.3 / 2004 support.

The problem is in two parts:
- we need a very good developer
- we need some funding to pay that developer

I can help partially with the funding, but the problem is manpower.

Surely there must be someone out there willing to take this on! Can any of you who really need to have SCORM working help us out here?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: SCORM maintainer wanted

by Bryan Williams -
Additional funding is available from Remote-Learner.net for this project. For the developer that will meet Martin's requirements, including taking the module to SCORM 2004 v.3 compliance stage, this would be worth your trouble. We need to get this done!

Thank you Bobo for all you have done over the past several years maintaining this module.

by Marcus Schürstedt -
I might be interested. What are your requirements?

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Schürstedt

by Sylvio Runge -
Is there now free (open) Drafts over SCORM standards? Me at present nothing is well-known; with imsglobal.org one must probably pay for it much...
Your idea would be to be realized it also this in form of a free SCORM php-lib, so that also different (free) LMS-systems could take part in the development.

S.

In reply to Sylvio Runge

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
SCORM "standards" are quite public (which means the expensive IMS membership we already pay is not useful here)

http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/20043ED/Documentation.aspx

You'll need a sharp brain to understand them though!

by acu paul -
depends. in a very simple view, there is the cmi model that needs to be stored and retrieved from a database, according to many, many, conditions (readonly or not, other data set before, the input must be of a certain type / length, or from a couple of values)

most of the work is already done. i use scorm on a daily basis, so i guess i'll be doing a lot of testing smile
In reply to Marcus Schürstedt

by Martin Dougiamas -
I have had a couple of good-sounding applicants and we're getting things rolling. But please send your CV to http://moodle.com/helpdesk just in case. smile

by acu paul -
so, one month later, who's the lucky guy who gets to fix the bugs? smile
In reply to acu paul

by Martin Dougiamas -
Well, we had a very promising person all signed up and ready to go (Jennifer Brooks, who had worked with ADL itself and on the Reload editor) but then she dropped off the map again before actually doing anything so we're back to square one.

I think SCORM is cursed. wink

by Mark Drechsler -
If I knew how to code I'd put my hand up to help as this issue is killing me at the moment, but if testers are needed when dev code is ready then count me in for that.

Martin - I'm beginning to agree with you on The Curse of The SCORM...
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Dan Noonan -
We love Moodle

This SCORM issue must be resolved

The issues that we see users having on this Forum are unacceptable for any first tier LMS

I do not know how to code either, but sooner than later, our school will need to find an LMS that is actually SCORM compliant

We are in the US and the requirement for standards compliancy is overwhelming

I will put me money where my mouth is, as necessary, to be a part of making SCORM work correctly with Moodle (both 12 and 2004)

Without this functionality, IMHO, Moodle will not be an option for many LMS users

Also, again IMHO, the inability of Moodle to 'play nice' with SCORM tells me that Moodle is not ready for prime time and is a second class option to other LMS's

Let the flames begin!!!
In reply to Dan Noonan

by Mark Drechsler -
We love Moodle too!

Which makes it all the more heartbreaking that I now have to go to a significant player in the Corporate online content delivery world that I have been dealing with re Moodle and tell them that I cannot in good conscience recommend Moodle as a genuine option for them to deploy and track their SCORM content. This interoperability issue is the kind of thing that will destroy Moodle as a serious player in the broader market if it isn't sorted soon. One thing I will do when I break the news to the content development company is suggest that if they are keen on using Moodle then they consider providing some sort of support to the Moodle community to help make this a reality.

Even a work-around that would allow SCORM content to show up in Gradebook in some way would be better than nothing...

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi to all,
if needed, I can help new developers to understand my code.

For any info about it please send an email to me.

If I can I will solve some bugs during the Bugathon.

Cheers,
Roberto.

In reply to Roberto Pinna

by Franjo Stipanovic -
Hello Moodle team,
is anyone working on SCORM module?
If so, what's the current status?

Thanks in advance!