Importing, Exporting quizzes

Re: Importing, Exporting quizzes

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Its available and working right now in the 1.4dev CVS. You will see that import quiz has been joined by an export quiz button. This exports the complete category to the chosen format - only GIFT and Moodle XML work at the moment. The xml schema is just something I made up, but the idea is that it should be quite simple and support all question types.

Anyway, have a look if you can smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Pledge $100 for QTI or SCORM!!

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Howard,

Wow, buttons for download of Moodle XML and GIFT! Thank you!

I wonder if it is in the 1.4 deve latest nightly. I will install that and then pull the quiz module one by one from CVS if that does not do the trick. I do not have a CVS linked system. I just download zips.

Anyway, I know that this is a lot of work, and that it is worth something like $5000 but perhaps there are 49 other people that want QTI as much as me, so

I pledge $100 (from my pocket money) to you if you do the IMS QTI or SCORM conversion of the Moodle XML, if that is possible.

Please remind me if or when this happens, whenever it happens (until I stop using Moodle).

I hope others join in.

Tim
Timothy Takemoto

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Pledge $100 for QTI or SCORM!!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Steady!

It's early days and hasn't had much in the way of testing, but all feedback would be appreciated.

Next is to get the Moodle XML to import, so that I can close the circle on that. I will then look at QTI, probably import first as I now have a number of example files that I have been sent, but the more the better. QTI export after that I guess.

I must be honest and say that I know very little about SCORM. I believe it's mainly used for training materials and I work in HE, so there isn't much call for that kind of thing. However, if you can point me to some examples and/or further info I can take a look.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Pledge $100 for QTI or SCORM!!

by Chris Jeffries -

SCORM (Shareable Content Object Reference Model) gathers together a number of specifications

IMS content specification

AICC communication model

The IMS spec defines an imsmanifest.xml file format that describes a way of listing all the resources (files of various types) in the package and one or more menu trees (called organisations) for accessing the resources. The imsmanifest file and all the resources are zipped up to make a SCO

The AICC spec states that an LMS (Learning Management System - eg Moodle) should provide into the browser, a set of predefines javascript function that can be called from resources in the SCO. These allow the SCO to get or set a variety of values the name of the studetnt; a bookmark for there current place in the module; maximum possible and achieved scores in quizzes and so on. The LMS is required to persist this information between sessions.

An interesting aspect of the SCORM 'spec' is that it requires that you say which parts you support, and that you support the bits you say you do. Therefore, if Moodle were to publish a document stating that they supported none of the components of the SCORM, then it would then be able to claim to be SCORM compliant!

The SCORM documentation is strange. It is the most readable "spec" I have ever read. But it does feel a bit loose as a result, and I wonder whether it will lead to interoperability issues later.